Topics

Top 7

• angelusdlion - March 12, 2012 4:53 p.m.

I disagree with the inclusion of Gears of War on this list. yes, it was heartbreaking to see, but the blowing off of what should be a severely emotionally traumatizing scene made no sense tome. Yes, I'm aware they probably were going for the "internalize the pain cuz your a manly man" but it just came across as "Whelp, that's done.. just shot mah wife.. time to kick locust ass again.
  • BladedFalcon - March 12, 2012 4:48 p.m.

Definitely agree about To The Moon taking the first place. Specially because it IS a very damn sad and emotional game, yet the way it's handled, it never feels like it's too much or hammed in or completely depressing. The doctor's exchanges and whatnot help keep a balance so the game keeps you emotionally invested without getting TOO depressed or emotionally drained. I'm gonna go ahead and disagree about GoW2 though... That single scene aside, the game didn't really do drama or covey sadness all that well. And i mean, if you're gonna go with games that have a single incredibly sad, dramatic moment, a whole lot have FAR more powerful, sad moments than GOW2. Like, as many posters here has pointed out: MGS3, and I'd argue that not just the ending, there are several scenes even before that that are pretty touching and sad. Lastly... The impact of Aeris's death has sadly been rendered invalid in my mind since the bitch has pretty much appeared alive in every other FF7 spin-off that has appeared. What's the point of killing a character permanently if you're gonna whore her out later at every chance you get?
  • anthonybonales - March 12, 2012 4:41 p.m.

Kingdom Hearts always bummed me out. You spend all this time trying to save your two best friends and when you do they all are forced to go separate ways again. I can't even do it justice.
  • Nap1400 - March 12, 2012 4:29 p.m.

...Aerith's death again? Why do gaming sites obssess over that scene? Doing so pretty much ruins it for people that never got to play it and go back knowing that it happens. I know I'm probably not going to cry if I ever get the chance to play FFVII.
  • Jacko415 - March 12, 2012 4:16 p.m.

You missed the ending of Half-Life 2 Episode 2. Almost had me bawling.
  • gondarpwns - March 12, 2012 4:16 p.m.

Red Dead hands down
  • dougtulane - March 12, 2012 4:01 p.m.

By far the saddest game I have played is the text adventure 'Photopia.' To the Moon must have taken a lot of inspiration from this interactive fiction take on personal loss, told in a fragmented.
  • ThundaGawd - March 12, 2012 4 p.m.

The ending for Shadow of the Colossus was hands down the saddest moment I've ever experienced in gaming history, everything that happens directly before AND after the final Colossi just nutkicks your heart in the throat. Next to that, my runner up would have to be Legend of Dragoon, the scene where Lavitz dies trying to break his king out of prison. The sequence itself might not sound that bad, but Lavitz and Dart only meet each other in the beginning, therefore you had time to see their entire friendship evolve, and when he dies, you just don't know how to react for a while.
  • DrFunFrock - March 12, 2012 4 p.m.

I know it isn't a sad game per se (though it certainly has its moments) but the last game that made me cry was Dark Souls. First - Solaire's last words after you are suddenly and unexpected forced to kill him. Then again when poor Siegmeyer finally meets his end, in the mournful setting of Ash Lake of all places. The end of Limbo was weirdly sad as well...
  • ArmTheBomb - March 12, 2012 3:57 p.m.

I'm realllly surprised Red Dead wasn't on this one. As a minority, I thought Bioshock 2 had a super sad ending. Not the good or bad one as much, more so the neutral one. I teared up for that one.
  • jdognasty - March 12, 2012 3:55 p.m.

=/ i was expecting to see dead island on here. I found the whole game pretty depressing.
  • sean-thomas - March 12, 2012 3:45 p.m.

all y'all emo
  • lrem - March 12, 2012 3:44 p.m.

Not including The Darkness?! *spoiler for a years-old game* Being forced to watch Jenny be murdered, and then watching Jackie kill himself was just plain heart-wrenching.
  • scott_migliore - March 12, 2012 3:41 p.m.

No one mentioned final fantasy X.... The ending was one of the saddest moments I have ever witnessed in a game
  • bloodraven - March 12, 2012 3:40 p.m.

Good list! Would also have accepted Secret of Mana, Red Dead Redemption or Journey.
  • babyhenchy1 - March 12, 2012 3:36 p.m.

No Mass Effect 3, MGS3, or Red Dead Redemption? WTF?
  • shawksta - March 12, 2012 3:34 p.m.

Guys I think this article is for Sad games in themselves, not sad moments in games.
  • shawksta - March 12, 2012 3:30 p.m.

Great list, especially To the Moon and Mother 3, HOLY F*CK was Mother 3 sad and Messed up in so many levels no other game can EVER come to its level. Majora's mask's more depressing sad than crying sad so ill just throw that out.
  • aaron171 - March 12, 2012 3:16 p.m.

Metal Gear Solid 3 didnt make the list?!?!? I'm shocked. That game has the saddest ending of any game iv'e played
  • AlphaCookie - March 12, 2012 3:14 p.m.

Only two games have really made me cry, and those are Red Dead Redemption and Mass Effect 3. I won't say why to avoid spoilers. I'm disappointed that neither are on here... Shame