• mubobi7593 - March 13, 2012 1:29 a.m.

I remember tearing up pretty bad at the end of Okami (spoilers, I guess) when everyone was roused by Issun to pray for Ammy. And, more recently (spoilers again) was Mass Effect 3, the middle choice. I bawled like a goddamn baby.
  • psycho ninja 4 - March 13, 2012 1:13 a.m.

I've only cried while watching a movie/playing a game/reading a book etc. Twice. Heavy Rain and the spongebob squarepants movie. Thats right, spongebob.
  • bass88 - March 14, 2012 5:26 a.m.

I know what scene you are talking about in SpongeBob SquarePants. That scene was surprisingly heavy going.
  • Fox_Mulder - March 13, 2012 12:30 a.m.

Heavy Rain, Any Zelda game (tears of joy)
  • jesusfrk15 - March 13, 2012 midnight

mass effect 3 and red dead redemption.
  • Byph - March 12, 2012 11:14 p.m.

Homeworld... 3rd mission (Return to Kharak) with Barber's Adagio for Strings playing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXRJBK8oJSA
  • NoblePariah - March 12, 2012 10:48 p.m.

The Darkness series should've been on this list. Both games had their moments that made you want to start bawling.
  • purple_omlet - March 12, 2012 10:40 p.m.

When Mordin died in Mass Effect 3 I literally cried. I have never cried during a video game before that.
  • revrock - March 12, 2012 10:24 p.m.

Arkham City... The ending was better and more touching than any superhero movie
  • CH3BURASHKA - March 12, 2012 10:10 p.m.

I think "Shadow of the Colossus is like the first 15 minutes of 'Up', except you're in control" is the most original thing anyone's said about SotC in the past 5 years. Bravo.
  • NinjaJamez - March 12, 2012 9:37 p.m.

damn i really though MGS3 would be here somewhere
  • AGENTJORRRG - March 12, 2012 9:31 p.m.

GEARS 2 ARE YOU SERIOUS? Maybe it would've worked if the characters had actual human emotions. The characters are all hard to sympathise with because they only ever say the same shit over and over. Gears is alright I s'pose but it was totally non emotionally investing as far as I'm concerned.
  • AGENTJORRRG - March 12, 2012 9:32 p.m.

Oh and Gears of War is for meatheads. It's a dumb game with terrible writing.
  • lazer59882 - March 12, 2012 8:40 p.m.

really...what the fuck is "to the moon"? i almost feel gypped having read this whole thing for it to end on some game i never heard of
  • TheMagnificentManCooker - March 13, 2012 3:13 p.m.

Why do you even read the articles if you just want to hear things you already heard of?
  • Sittdown - March 12, 2012 8:17 p.m.

in GOW 3 when Dom sacrifices him to save Marcus and to be with Mariah
  • BlakGentleman - March 12, 2012 7:55 p.m.

Okami
  • Dmancapri - March 12, 2012 7:46 p.m.

I may have been little last time I played it, but the entire Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series' endings made me cry. You are introduced to a cheery, upbeat world where strange things are happening: pokemon becoming hostile, people becoming pokemon ( in your case), the world falling apart. And then the ending.... Tragic, man
  • samsneeze - March 12, 2012 7:38 p.m.

I don't mind the inclusion of Gears of War 2 at all. Final Fantasy VII on the other hand is pretty disappointing to see. I remember playing the game and having her and die and thinking "Huh. Oh well." To be fair, the only Final Fantasy games that have ever gotten real emotions from me were VI and IV, the other were just kind of there. Dragon Quest V's story is pretty sad two thirds of it's majority. It's presented in a happy quirky manner, but that doesn't really help it for me. Shadow of the Colossus was pretty neat at the end, but I don't remember being saddened by it. The Mass Effect series was pretty sad too, I guess. But I think it's ruined by the lack of music when shit was going down. Let's face it, Mass Effect's music hardly ever fits the tone of what's going on on screen. That's if you can even hear it. It's all mostly forgettable. The lack NieR is kind of hard to grasp. It's kind of slow and tedious, but it has one of the best stories and the best characters this generation by far. And unlike Mass Effect the music would always fit the tone of what was currently happening. Lost Odyssey is a true surprise though. Most people would have passed over it faster than they would NieR. It's completely deserving of its spot on this list. I mean, that game seriously made you sad. There was no real way to avoid it. I recall at one point, I also stopped reading Thousand Years Dreams due to the sheer depressing nature of them. Despite that, I do have favorites I like to go back and read. Letters From a Weakling and Hanna's Departure are at the peak of the list for me. I guess Red Dead Redemption gets an obvious nod for obvious reasons. Final Fantasy XIII, as heavily flawed game as it was, did one thing right: Sazh. Sazh's character and subplot are what helped my plow through the game until I got to the end. Lufia II way back on the Super Nintendo had one of the most satisfyingly sad endings I've seen to this day.
  • Lemming - March 12, 2012 7:29 p.m.

The last game that made me bawl my eyes, was the ending for KH 385/2 days. Knowing Xion would never be remembered was so sad.