• elovejr - March 15, 2012 10:19 a.m.

halo reach when Noble one crashed the ship into the spider walker to save noble three and noble six I think?
  • joesph-roach - March 15, 2012 10:10 a.m.

i don't really cry at games not really but seeing the last image made me think of metal gear solid 3 *spoilers* when the boss dies at the end of mgs3 and its explained that her patriotism ran so deep that she let her name be run into the ground and be labeled as the worst criminal on earth just for her country. but, of course i have a deep respect for patriotism.
  • Mr Box 360 - March 16, 2012 4:42 p.m.

Ive just mentioned that same moment for MGS3, for me MGS4 was the most emotional out of the lot but each one of them had a really emotional moment, and i agree for mgs3 that was it for me
  • CitizenWolfie - March 15, 2012 1 a.m.

I find it quite fitting that you ended with a screenshot of MGS4 since I pretty much was sobbing like a girl at the end scene where... *SPOILER* Old Snake puts the gun to his mouth, ready to kill himself. After almost a decade playing as the man himself it really affected me seeing him preparing to end it all. But yeah, Shadow of the Colossus also pulled at the heart strings.
  • ZidaneAlcor - March 15, 2012 12:47 a.m.

I don't care what anyone says, Aeris will never be the saddest death to me. I think I was numbed beforehand, back in PSIV, when Alys sacrificed herself. It was the same kind of thing, too. A quick spell or a trip to the inn and everything was all better.. then... it wasn't. All of a sudden, one of the strongest, coolest women in games (IMO) was gone forever. I still boil with fury when I see Zio, and tear up when she's on her death bed. Aeris is so famous for dying, but Phantasy Star did it first*. That's just what I think. (*PS probably wasn't FIRST, but I don't want to do the research. Bite me.)
  • talleyXIV - March 14, 2012 2:57 p.m.

"Saddest video games that will make you cry." This title is officially redundant, unnecessary to say "Saddest," "Video games that will make you cry" would have sufficed. Figures that would annoy me, as it came from my least favorite writer, Mr. Holly Cooper.
  • samsneeze - March 14, 2012 3:42 p.m.

It's not really redundant actually. The title is saying these are the saddest games of all the sad games that will make you cry. Basically by adding "Saddest" to the title, it's saying that these are the top sad games, which is why it's called top seven. Or rather, these are the saddest games that will make you cry. They're the most tear jerking of their medium. That said, if you're just going to complain about something this trivial why even bother posting.
  • GR HollanderCooper - March 14, 2012 4:45 p.m.

Aw, I'm number 0? Also the reason I have saddest and cry is because some games are sad, but won't make you cry because they just have a sad tone, and some games will make you cry because of difficulty/bugs/whatever, but aren't sad.
  • talleyXIV - March 15, 2012 7:10 p.m.

Yep, number 0. I hope you aren't being literal when you say cry about bugs/difficulty/whatever because I have never cried at any game except for when I was like seven years old. I have not even cried about a movie... Anyway, I still have to stick by what I said, the title could have been shortened to "Top 7 Saddest Video Games" or "Top 7 Games That Will Make You Cry." Reply to Magicool: Why are you writing in stanzas? "if your 400 pd muscle bound cell mate is assrapeing you with it," I am not even going to go into how terribly written this is, but I will say I don't believe they give prisoners video games and technically he is raping you with the game box or game disc. Plus, why would he ass rape me with anything other than his penis if he wanted pleasure? I hardly think I am the one with no brain, I maybe a troll but I am no stupid troll.
  • Mr Box 360 - March 16, 2012 5:04 p.m.

Well Mr Hollander Cooper i think the title was appropriate, i agreed with all the articles that you selected. Obviously there are many sad moments in many games and the choices you made I've experienced all with the exception for Mother 3 and To the Moon. But reading the article has made me want to play through 'To the Moon' now. For your article on Lost Odyssey, i don't know if I'm thinking of the same scene because i didn't play through the whole game. But i remember a similar scene with the sick mother and her children, but from what i remember, what made it sadder was that the dieing woman was the Kain's daughter who he thought was dead, so in this brief period of time he's reunited with her, watches her die and then has to plan her funeral. But once again, great piece and ill look forward to reading something hopefully similar
  • GR HollanderCooper - March 17, 2012 9:40 p.m.

I left that part out for spoilers reasons, and I know that made it even sadder :)
  • Midiala97 - March 24, 2012 5:44 p.m.

Hello! I was wondering what was that first picture from? Like what game was it from? It looks really neat.....
  • Ravenbom - March 14, 2012 10:40 a.m.

I played Shattered Memories and I thought it was a really good Silent Hill until I realized you're completely safe until things start icing over, so it ruined the feeling of dread for me. It still is the best Silent Hill since 2 for me though. I completely agree about To the Moon. I gotta say, at the end of Mass Effect 1, I got a little emotional for that second when you don't know if Shep made it.
  • robothobo - March 14, 2012 9:29 a.m.

Nier should definitely be on this list. The story starts out sad, and every step you take just makes it sadder. A destroyed world with no hope, single parent with a sick child, and the ever growing realization of exactly what you've been doing. Then replaying on a new game+ and getting more story, being able to see what your enemies were saying right before you crushed them... 4 endings, and each one gets sadder and sadder. It's one of my favorite games of any console generation now.
  • mckillustrator - March 14, 2012 8:23 a.m.

I cried my eyes out for Pigsy's Perfect 10...just sayin. Poor Truffles *sniffle*
  • Japanaman - March 14, 2012 5:12 a.m.

My list is made up of: Final Fantasy VII, Suikoden II (If you don't pick the option fast enough to save Nanami like I did), The Granstream Saga (Because you find out you're like the Anti-Christ, then to restore the world, you have to sacrifice a human life you care for), Final Fantasy X (Because you find our you're dead), The Legend of Dragoon (Because that one awesome chick you in your team dies), Metal Gear Solid 4 (Because Snake crawls through a microwave oven), and finally, Metal Gear Solid (Because Wolf sacrifices his own life in such a brutal manner to make certain Metal Gear Rex is defeated.)
  • Plan10FromOuterSpace - March 14, 2012 5:06 a.m.

I sometimes feel like im the only person in the world who wasn't emotively effected at all by gears of war 2, the whole macho attitude of the game and characters just put me off completely. To the moon sounds incredible though, will have to take a look
  • xarab4lyfex - March 14, 2012 10:53 p.m.

The moment with Tai wasn't really sad, just surprising. The Maria part was sad, but nowhere near as sad as what happens in Gears 3.
  • iHateFatPeople - March 15, 2012 9:22 a.m.

Dom pulling a 'whatever it takes' righteous suicide was not sad at all, it was just kind of stupid. Maria in 2 was devastating though.
  • Nomado - March 16, 2012 3:13 a.m.

Sure try playing To The Moon its developed by one man studio and not that long only 4 hours. But these 4 hour will be forged in ur heart with all ur emotions u gone through playing game. u will feel joy, u will feel anger, u will hate protagonist, u will feel sorry for protagonist, u will cry for him and u will pray for him in the end. This game is just amazing don't look down into graphics feel music and story. GL