• stefan-heisenberg - September 7, 2012 2:08 p.m.

Planescape: Torment. Deionarras' sensory stone. Not much in gaming can top that for drama.
  • Monsuco - June 23, 2012 1:33 a.m.

I played through To The Moon. My God, that is the most emotional, sad and beautiful story I've ever encountered. Not just in gaming, in anything! I cried and cried at the bittersweet end. It wasn't really even a game. There was essentially no actual gameplay other than clicking on objects and occasionally solving very simple puzzles. You can't fail or die, you just explore each of the character's memories and then move back to an earlier memory. Despite lacking any real gameplay, its story was simply astounding. I wish there was a movie or something. Using Chrono-Trigger-esque graphics, the game shows beautiful but simple imagery, the music plays well to the story line, and you'll cry like a baby at the end.
  • donte-beck - April 9, 2012 4:34 p.m.

even though it is a small part of it i say halo 3
  • magusat999 - April 3, 2012 7:33 p.m.

I think it was FFIV, searching for General Leo (?) only to find he was dead and never coming back - unless you played the Japanese version. Very sad moment to me... Didn't a character die in Final Fantasy II also? I thought someone was sick and died off there... One of the characters died in Legend of Dragoon, but was replaced by a similar - still it was a sad moment. When the killed Lulu in Suikoden III - they killed a little kid! That character had a great personality and they just killed him! THAT was the saddest to me!
  • morbid_curiosity - August 18, 2013 11:30 a.m.

I believe General Leo was in FFVI, which has a lot of sadness in it. Shadow's whole back story is another example.
  • magusat999 - April 3, 2012 7:26 p.m.

SPOILER ALERT: Actually Aerith DID come back - at the end she came back as a spirit and showered the world with some sort of healing light. They plainly showed her (spirit) face and her action of spreading a shower of golden drops of light all over the world.
  • joshua-edward-rae-myers - April 1, 2012 9:11 p.m.

@BOOOM Headshot; Much agreed. One of saddest games I've ever played
  • michael-izquierdo - March 31, 2012 7:01 a.m.

I'm going to echo what a lot of people said about Nier. Nier definitely deserves a place in this list towards the top. I can't forget the first time I meet an NPC named Fayra she's undeniably cute evening running around helping you making cute eeps as she runs. My first thought was "aww she's cute" followed by a sad sinking feeling knowing that something horrible was going to happen to her. Because thats what this game does. It never ends happy. All the sidequests only lead up to sad moments, the amazing music in the background is depressingly somber. The game makes your character out to be noble beyond corruption, the then ofcourse after you played the game once and are on NG+ you find out that most the monsters you killed were only really defending themselves against your unrelenting bloodlust. Good job, Hero.
  • trikeman - March 28, 2012 3:27 a.m.

All I have to say is...all he wanted was to run tests on seashells? Did he not deserve that after everything he'd been through?
  • Midiala97 - March 25, 2012 8:24 a.m.

What picture is that first picture from??? I think the first character is Aerith from final fantasy but the second character I have no Idea and it's driving me crazy!!!!
  • Yoshino-Yosh - March 21, 2012 11:37 a.m.

Spoilers for Shadow of the Colossus; I know he said he wouldn't go into ending details for SotC, but I'm sooo glad that it was in this list. I almost gave up after Agro "died." I mean, the other games made me really sad, but Agro...I just sat there and silently cried. And, yeah, around Phalanx, I began wondering why I had to kill the Colossi, and what they were doing before I came along. God, I hate Dormin.
  • billyfab - March 19, 2012 5:24 p.m.

I haven't played SH:Shattered Memories, but I guess it is a remake/"reimagining" of the original Silent Hill, which contains one of the saddest moments that I can think of in a video game: you are stuck in this desolate place with very few others, and after you become attached to the most sympathetic of them, Lisa Garland, she deteriorates into one of the monsters. I remember feeling so alone and abandoned when it happened.
  • BOOOM headshot - March 16, 2012 6:27 p.m.

final fantasy X ending everything about it is sad
  • Mr Box 360 - March 16, 2012 4:40 p.m.

SPOILER for Metal Gear Solid The whole Metal Gear Solid saga had emotional moments for me, from Grey Fox's brave death, to finding out the truth about why big boss turned traitor...but nothing tied everything in like Metal Gear Solid 4. So many incredible moments, key characters death, Raiden's moment in the Shadow Moses Chapter...Snake collapsing when he reaches the final room in Outer Heaven, Naomi's speech. The biggest for me was the feeling of nostalgia when you first go back to Shadow Moses, hearing the ghostly echo's of the scenes that occurred in the rooms. Just seeing how much has changed in that place, makes you reflect on how your life has changed in the same period of time. I read in an article thats exactly what Hideo Kojima was trying to connect us to and it worked perfectly, its why the man is a genius in his field. Other emotional gaming moments would have been the ending for Heavy Rain, Nathan Mar's story in particular...and also the brief section with the two brothers which i wont go into detail because its a spoiler and its really something that you should experience with an open mind. I def agree with the Gears 2 article. I've recently finished the 3rd one and Dom's story once again delivers and until now thought it was actually sadder. But just watching that video clip had me welling up, Epic really exceeded themselves when its came to writing that scene
  • lemur - March 15, 2012 3:29 p.m.

mass effect 3 had a few tear jerking moments. When I was speaking to Javik on earth and he said that he will kill himself after the reaper threat was gone brought a tear to my eye. Also when I saved the Rachni queen and grunt almost died made me start sobbing. It looked like he was gonna die right there!
  • alexbyrom - March 20, 2012 9:09 p.m.

I cried when Thane died and said a prayer for Shepard.
  • BossFight - March 15, 2012 3:07 p.m.

As far as the Aerith death scene goes, for me it depended. It definitely was sad, but opposed to having like Vincent and Red in your team, you just give a look and walk on, put both Tifa and Yuffie in your party at this part in the game. You'll feel the sad coming on.
  • BlaqChyna - March 15, 2012 11 a.m.

Definitely wasn't expecting the Carlos/Maria scene to be so tearjerking in GOW2...Actually starting tearing up. So, I 100% agree with that choice :) I thought that the Russian Airport scene in MW2 was pretty sad, having to go around as an undercover agent and shoot up innocent civilians in an airport...
  • BlaqChyna - March 15, 2012 10:57 a.m.

SPOILERS AHEAD... I will never forget the airport scene in MW2 when you had to shoot up the civilians in that airport...That was pretty sad as an undercover agent being forced to do that... I 100% agree with the Gears of War 2 Carlos/Maria scene...I have never teared up during a video game and I definitely was not expecting to do so during a Gears game!
  • EvilYoda666 - November 23, 2012 2:03 p.m.

Sorry, this is a bit of a spoiler but I think you should add The Walking Dead. At the end Clementine (an eight year old girl who you have to look after) has to shoot Lee (the storyline protagonist and player character) to stop him becoming a zombie, and is therefore left alone in a world full of only zombies.