Topics

Top 7

• talleyXIV - March 14, 2012 2:57 p.m.

"Saddest video games that will make you cry." This title is officially redundant, unnecessary to say "Saddest," "Video games that will make you cry" would have sufficed. Figures that would annoy me, as it came from my least favorite writer, Mr. Holly Cooper.
  • GR HollanderCooper - March 14, 2012 4:45 p.m.

Aw, I'm number 0? Also the reason I have saddest and cry is because some games are sad, but won't make you cry because they just have a sad tone, and some games will make you cry because of difficulty/bugs/whatever, but aren't sad.
  • talleyXIV - March 15, 2012 7:10 p.m.

Yep, number 0. I hope you aren't being literal when you say cry about bugs/difficulty/whatever because I have never cried at any game except for when I was like seven years old. I have not even cried about a movie... Anyway, I still have to stick by what I said, the title could have been shortened to "Top 7 Saddest Video Games" or "Top 7 Games That Will Make You Cry." Reply to Magicool: Why are you writing in stanzas? "if your 400 pd muscle bound cell mate is assrapeing you with it," I am not even going to go into how terribly written this is, but I will say I don't believe they give prisoners video games and technically he is raping you with the game box or game disc. Plus, why would he ass rape me with anything other than his penis if he wanted pleasure? I hardly think I am the one with no brain, I maybe a troll but I am no stupid troll.
  • Mr Box 360 - March 16, 2012 5:04 p.m.

Well Mr Hollander Cooper i think the title was appropriate, i agreed with all the articles that you selected. Obviously there are many sad moments in many games and the choices you made I've experienced all with the exception for Mother 3 and To the Moon. But reading the article has made me want to play through 'To the Moon' now. For your article on Lost Odyssey, i don't know if I'm thinking of the same scene because i didn't play through the whole game. But i remember a similar scene with the sick mother and her children, but from what i remember, what made it sadder was that the dieing woman was the Kain's daughter who he thought was dead, so in this brief period of time he's reunited with her, watches her die and then has to plan her funeral. But once again, great piece and ill look forward to reading something hopefully similar
  • GR HollanderCooper - March 17, 2012 9:40 p.m.

I left that part out for spoilers reasons, and I know that made it even sadder :)
  • Midiala97 - March 24, 2012 5:44 p.m.

Hello! I was wondering what was that first picture from? Like what game was it from? It looks really neat.....
  • Ravenbom - March 14, 2012 10:40 a.m.

I played Shattered Memories and I thought it was a really good Silent Hill until I realized you're completely safe until things start icing over, so it ruined the feeling of dread for me. It still is the best Silent Hill since 2 for me though. I completely agree about To the Moon. I gotta say, at the end of Mass Effect 1, I got a little emotional for that second when you don't know if Shep made it.
  • robothobo - March 14, 2012 9:29 a.m.

Nier should definitely be on this list. The story starts out sad, and every step you take just makes it sadder. A destroyed world with no hope, single parent with a sick child, and the ever growing realization of exactly what you've been doing. Then replaying on a new game+ and getting more story, being able to see what your enemies were saying right before you crushed them... 4 endings, and each one gets sadder and sadder. It's one of my favorite games of any console generation now.
  • mckillustrator - March 14, 2012 8:23 a.m.

I cried my eyes out for Pigsy's Perfect 10...just sayin. Poor Truffles *sniffle*
  • Japanaman - March 14, 2012 5:12 a.m.

My list is made up of: Final Fantasy VII, Suikoden II (If you don't pick the option fast enough to save Nanami like I did), The Granstream Saga (Because you find out you're like the Anti-Christ, then to restore the world, you have to sacrifice a human life you care for), Final Fantasy X (Because you find our you're dead), The Legend of Dragoon (Because that one awesome chick you in your team dies), Metal Gear Solid 4 (Because Snake crawls through a microwave oven), and finally, Metal Gear Solid (Because Wolf sacrifices his own life in such a brutal manner to make certain Metal Gear Rex is defeated.)
  • Plan10FromOuterSpace - March 14, 2012 5:06 a.m.

I sometimes feel like im the only person in the world who wasn't emotively effected at all by gears of war 2, the whole macho attitude of the game and characters just put me off completely. To the moon sounds incredible though, will have to take a look
  • xarab4lyfex - March 14, 2012 10:53 p.m.

The moment with Tai wasn't really sad, just surprising. The Maria part was sad, but nowhere near as sad as what happens in Gears 3.
  • iHateFatPeople - March 15, 2012 9:22 a.m.

Dom pulling a 'whatever it takes' righteous suicide was not sad at all, it was just kind of stupid. Maria in 2 was devastating though.
  • Nomado - March 16, 2012 3:13 a.m.

Sure try playing To The Moon its developed by one man studio and not that long only 4 hours. But these 4 hour will be forged in ur heart with all ur emotions u gone through playing game. u will feel joy, u will feel anger, u will hate protagonist, u will feel sorry for protagonist, u will cry for him and u will pray for him in the end. This game is just amazing don't look down into graphics feel music and story. GL
  • g4m3rk1dd - March 13, 2012 10:44 p.m.

just got ahold of a PS1 and FF7 yesterday :D gonna play through CC then 7 just because im a nerd like that.
  • Klonoa1545 - March 13, 2012 6:52 p.m.

Easily the two games that have made me tear up the most is Klonoa: Door to Phantomile and Eternal Sonata. It was everything I could do not to weep openly at Eternal Sonata's incredibly beautiful ending. As for Klonoa, which is criminally underplayed and underrated, you NEVER see the heart-wrenching ending coming. How could such a cute, happy-go-lucky game do such a 180 on you right at the end? You spend the whole game saving the inhabitants of Phantomile and bonding with your friend Huepow... SPOILERS Just to find out that he was never really your friend, and basically you don't exist. You were just summoned to that world to save it and then be banished away, given fake memories as motivation. Nobody, and I mean nobody, can hold in the tears when Klonoa is pleading with Huepow to tell him everything they did together was real. Finally, the most beautiful music ever plays, and Huepow runs to his friend after all, yet unable to hold on to him as he vanishes into the sky. Gosh, I get emotional just thinking about it. I'd post the video... but it just wouldn't do the game justice. END OF SPOILERS This game is on the Playstation Network. DOWNLOAD IT NOW.
  • Surfaced - March 13, 2012 5:03 p.m.

What's disappointing about this list is how many of these games evoke emotion entirely through cutscenes - a break from gameplay to an entirely non-interactive medium. Essentially cinema. It shows we still have a long way to go, when we have to fall back on movies for wrenching guts. Shadow of the Colossus truly stands out for working it's magic exclusively through interactivity, and the top 3 really are decent selections, but it's unfortunate that our pickings are this slim.
  • xarab4lyfex - March 13, 2012 9:36 p.m.

I partly agree, there are games that evoke sadness through gameplay like FF7 Crisis Core, Persona 3, Mother 3, MGS 3. But just because it's through a cutscene, I'd hardly call it disappointing.
  • theguyinthecloset - March 14, 2012 12:44 p.m.

How about The Darkness? (do I really need to say it? Fine. *SPOILERS*) The death of jenny. Actually everything before is the most important. First you go to her appartment and she gives you a birthday cake and then there is that moment on the couch watching TV together with her. You see the prompt to stand up but you don't want to stand up, you want to stay by her side even after she stops moving and falls asleep you don't want to move. There was already such a connection to the character. And then right after that, Paulie kidnaps her and brings her to the Orphanage where you both grew up and met. The orphanage Paulie blew up earlier. you see the chalk marks of corpses... child corpses. You see all the flashbacks of how you interacted with her, how you got depressed when you lerned that your uncle Paulie came to take you away from her, how you promised her to come back and never forget her and then you face the same uncle that seperated you and her with a gun to her head and you can still move but the Darkness inside of you stops you from enterfeering and tells you how you are weak, mutiplying the feeling of uselessness and guilt. Paulie blows Jenny's brains on the wall and points the gun at you, and it's only then that the Darkness cares to attak Paulie and the currupt chief of police run away and you are left with the still body of your girlfriend...and a gun... and your guilt...you then take the gun and you put a bullet in your brain...now that...that made me flood the basement! But that's not the end of it! NO! Everytime it has an oportunity to do so, the Darkness reminds you of it, making your grief and hate boil more and more until the climax at the end where you let the Darkness posess you to obliterate Paulie's army and put a bullet right between the eyes of that scumbag! That is the only time the feeling of relief from vengeance actually came to me in a game, and I replayed the end countless times just so I could kill him again and again and again!! (*Spoiler end*) You could count the orphanage flashbacks as cinematic but the rest was all gameplay, great gameplay them made me cry for revenge!
  • Voodoowolfe - March 13, 2012 4:52 p.m.

Um why is there not even a mention of Chrono Trigger? Ever gamer I have ever talked to, they mentioned not to name them, say that that game has one of the saddest moments in gaming. Most have cried. Me I never cry. Ever. No really I didn't. ... ... ...ok maybe a little.
  • BossFight - March 15, 2012 3:02 p.m.

Hmm, I don't remember too much sadness in the game. Now, if you didn't save Lucca's mother that was real sad, and I of course would mess up like three times in a row. That's optiional though. Returning Crono is optional too, and as the main character you know he's not gone. That part wasn't sad, but if there really was no way to return him and they had an ending without him, then yeah it would have definitely been extremely sad. Anyway, if there were any other parts that slipped my mind, tell me.
  • IamTheBalance - March 13, 2012 4:46 p.m.

Metal Gear Solid 2 when Emma dies is still probably the saddest moment in games for me personally