• Datadog - April 28, 2014 1:01 p.m.

The Mass Effect codex was actually a pretty good read, but that's largely due to the world they created. Every other entry felt like a story that warranted its own spin-off series. In contrast, you have Final Fantasy XIII where the datalog is required to explain the plot (only to discover the datalog doesn't know what's going on either.) But overall, I don't feel that particular extra is necessarily unwelcome when it's done right.
  • GR_LucasSullivan - April 28, 2014 1:14 p.m.

You've convinced me!
  • EAC73 - April 28, 2014 12:58 p.m.

This kind of sticks to the negative things that no one asked for. When I read the title, I thought it would of been really awesome features in games that nobody saw coming, like Nazi Zombies in WaW.
  • GR_RyanTaljonick - April 28, 2014 1:18 p.m.

Coming next week: The Top 7... awesome features that nobody saw coming
  • rainn'sgaydar - April 28, 2014 12:33 p.m.

I have to take issue with 5 and 7. The AC IV companion app was pretty good and did nothing to take away from the experience. In fact, the added convenience or referencing the map without pausing was pretty great. And Mass Effect 3's companion app was serviceable too. It allowed those that wanted to skip on the multiplayer to skip, and listening to the narrator read the codex entries was a nice plus too. I quite like ME's lore as a whole. I guess, though, most games get carried away falling in love with themselves and their lore, so I only take a little issue with #5.
  • SirNinja - April 28, 2014 12:18 p.m.

Should have used the Final Fantasy XIII/XIII-2/LR Datalog as the example for #5, as that's an example of something you need to sift through in order to understand what in the world's going on. I really liked Mass Effect's in-game encyclopedia, on the other hand. The entries were informative enough without getting overly wordy, and I actually found myself wanting to read through them to learn more about the game's universe.
  • GR_LucasSullivan - April 28, 2014 1:13 p.m.

You and the people have spoken, and so it shall be done!!!
  • Pruman - April 28, 2014 12:11 p.m.

Hey, I liked the Mass Effect 3 Datapad. It let me boost my galactic readiness without having to interact with a-hole teenagers or master a multiplayer game that I had no desire or time to play. It's too bad it's gone now, as I'll be forced to play mulitplayer if I ever want to get the best ending again on a replay. Thanks, EA. I also have nothing against "game of the year" editions. Catch them on a Steam sale for $5, and it's totally worth it. Also, if it's a multiplayer game, you now have an extra copy of the game! Give your old one to a friend, get them hooked, and play through the base game again together before tackling the DLC! You know what my least-asked for feature is? Always-online requirements. I've got no problem with a game needing to check in every once in a while, but requiring a constant, unbroken Internet connection just to play is utter horse crap. Especially when the servers gets utterly crushed by the mass of people trying to use the product they paid for, a la Diablo 3 or SimCity.
  • GLuna46 - April 28, 2014 12:03 p.m.

well its nothing really what we asked its more about what the publishers or developers (are forced to do because of the publishers) "think or assumed we want" for them to make moneyz. also loved this feature tho. the advantage of the borderlands release, well as far as my knowledge you can buy borderlands 2 regular edition, "borrow or rent" the GOTY or the one with all the dlc and install the dlc return it and keep it since you have borderlands 2 :p also Freak multiplayer achievements, whats the point in 2 or 4 years they will shut down the servers for mp and no one will get those achievements T_T
  • Rach426 - April 28, 2014 11:55 a.m.

Yes, especially to the multiplayer trophies and DLC that continues the stories. Developers need to note that there are multiple types of gamers and alter their practices on these matters.
  • FoxdenRacing - April 28, 2014 11:52 a.m.

A couple of those are good ideas with terrible executions (such as multiplayer achievements), though most of it is absolutely spot-on. Especially the companion app thing [doubly so when it's to compliment a single-player game. What dev in their right mind had the following thought process: "Man, pushing the 'support menu' button to get to the airstrikes is so disruptive to gameplay. I know! Let's make it so the player has to put the controller down, look away from the screen, fondle their tablet (annoying their SO who was using it to watch Netflix while they hogged the TV for games), wait for the app to connect to the server, wait for the server to send a message to the game, put the phone back, pick up the controller again, and unpause the game! It's so much faster, more intuitive, less annoying to housemates, and a lot more non-disruptive that way!" Codexes? To each their own, though I get the feeling 'bloated' was used there to mean 'full of cruft not even the most diehard fans care about', rather than 'comprehensive'.
  • MeanwhileGuy - April 28, 2014 11:47 a.m.

I actually like in-game databases. Mass Effect's being one of my favourite, as it expands on things you've already seen or heard about, rather than making you rely on it to even begin to understand what's going on with the plot *cough* Final Fantasy XIII *cough*. Also, if a game is heavily story based, I'm always up for DLC that will expand that story and make it last that little bit longer (again, Mass Effect).
  • Vonter - April 28, 2014 11:41 a.m.

I don't see the point of unlocking weapons in multiplayer, I can be wrong and this is already applied, but wouldn't it make more sense of each iteration of FPS that has sequels every year have the option to pass previous achievements to the new game? Also I didn't ask for the LoS games to feature elements from the classic games, especially since the first was very good at remaking Castlevania tropes. It didn't really needed fan service in order to appeal more or in this case butchering good elements from the Classic series. I didn't ask for Dead Space to become action oriented, to have multiplayer or co-op or all the unnecessary things RE brought, I didn't ask for Dead Space to become as ridiculous (Zombie Moons) as Resident Evil become. Finally I didn't ask for the industry to just have shooters that are continually more limited in regards to options; no stealth, not exploring for keys or codes, no having to plan due do to low health, no puzzles or laughably mediocre ones (pull that lever, shoot the sparkling thing in the roof), most of all it seems shooters don't even bother putting good bosses. Why?
  • universaltofu - April 28, 2014 11:31 a.m.

I feel like season passes bother me sometimes. I mean, not so much the pricing, or the content, but the idea that I would pay for stuff that isn't even out yet, and may not be out for some time. Also how could this list go down without an Adam Jensen reference.
  • winner2 - April 28, 2014 12:50 p.m.

This is a question that needs an answer .
  • GR_LucasSullivan - April 28, 2014 1:16 p.m.

Pure, unadulterated negligence.
  • winner2 - April 28, 2014 5:38 p.m.

Tsk tsk Lucas, but shall be forgiven.