• Loki Laufeyson - April 17, 2012 2:46 p.m.

And what about Dak'kon, from Planescape: Torment? Seriously, strong characterization, deep dialogues, harrowing background... Not to mention the fact that he's a very skilled warrior and he wields the last (if I remember correctly) Karach blade. I mean, the man is awesome. I could nothing but sympathize with him the whole time, because I knew that his grief was mostly due to me and I still couldn't actually do anything to free him from our bond. Dak'kon, imho, is one of the best characters ever created.
  • Alex_Syros - April 17, 2012 10:05 p.m.

And, of course, The Nameless One - isn't he a dreamboat! PS:T indeed has some of the most memorable characters ever.
  • minara - April 17, 2012 2:34 p.m.

I gotta hand it to Bioware for creating some of the most compelling and memorable ensemble casts in gaming. Almost all of my favourite characters have come from their games. The "Good Guy Trifecta": - Sky from Jade Empire - Carth Onasi from Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - Kaidan Alenko from the Mass Effect Universe These three gentlemen are the exact type of guy every woman wants to fall in love with: charismatic, family-oriented, loyal. They always err on the side of good and will go to the ends of the earth (figuratively speaking, in Kaidan and Carth's cases) for the woman they love. They are all the epitome of the perfect man to bring home to Mom. I also have to confess, Raphael Sbarge's soothing voice helped me fall in love with Carth and Kaidan. While I am not sure I would say I romantically could love either of these two, I do find Thane and Garrus excellent companions. Thane is remarkably at peace with his impeding death and graceful nonetheless. Garrus is a perfect buddy to hang out with, do some skeet shooting with, and generally just love spending time with. My absolute favourite Bioware sidekick (as my photo shows), is the hilarious, naive and goofy Alistair Theirin from the Dragon Age games. He is just pure awesome. His ignorance in the ways of love make him all the more irresistable. And who can forget one of his best lines, "Have YOU ever licked a lamppost in the winter?" Ridden with innuendo, this man is just my type of guy. Also from the DA games, I fell in (girl) love with Merrill, the hopelessly sheltered Dalish elf voiced by Eve Myles in Dragon Age 2. My love for her isn't really the lustful sort, but more the fondness for that adorable girlfriend you know is trying really, really hard to fit in but just can't make heads or tails of it. Finally, branching away from Bioware (I'm loyal, okay?) I come to my absolute most favourite game character, Ezio Auditore from the Assassin's Creed series. My god. I told my husband I was in love with a young Italian stallion who's good with his knife. He's charming enough to get under the skirts of some of Italy's most famous ladies, and he's not afraid to fight over her if need be. That accent. Those eyes. Those blades. *sigh* It makes my heart all aflutter just thinking about him. Even in old age, I wouldn't kick him out of my bed. You guys missed the mark on some of these choices, but props to both genders being represented!
  • altairsgirl - April 17, 2012 9:36 p.m.

I'm glad I'm not the ONLY one who finds the men from AC to be the hottest guys around! Ezio is definitely sexy as hell. His accent, the way he treats his ladies, the way he moves...it's all good. But I am and will forever be totally enamored with the mystery that is Altair. I didn't get enough of him in the games, and I am just left wanting more...and more. But I will say there are NO men that walk sexier and kill sexier than those two men. ;)
  • Greginator1995 - April 17, 2012 2:29 p.m.

I think Kate McCreary from GTA IV should be on there. I know she didn't play a huge part, but she was a rock in Niko's life throughout the entire game, and when she *SPOILERS* died (or broke up with you) it was completely heartbreaking. She is one of my all time game characters.
  • josiah-jacob - April 17, 2012 2:27 p.m.

I think any game that is developed deeply enough to allow you to care about the characters can allow you to really kind of fall for one. Most Mass Effect characters could be on this list. Garrus obviously. But also Thane, Liara, Tali, Wrex, Joker, EDI, and Mordin come to mind. Not always a "romance" kind of love, but still. For me I'd have to include all three main girls from FF7. Tifa, Yuffie, and Aeris. They're surprisingly well created and fleshed out in the story. I also really like the girls in KOTOR and KOTOR2. Mission Vao was adorable, Visas was under appreciated by fans but I really liked her.
  • Desann - April 17, 2012 2:27 p.m.

Great list! And great to see Garrus as number 1. I couldn't agree more.
  • heather-coit - April 17, 2012 2:25 p.m.

I liked Zevran from DAO. He was pretty cool.
  • evan-emolga - April 17, 2012 2:22 p.m.

This post needs more Kingdom hearts because my top seven are from KH Just look look at the outline of the story How does one not love them? Roxas/Aqua (Tied for first) Axel Xion Sora Rikku Tera Ventus
  • Foaman - April 17, 2012 2:21 p.m.

Garrus will be forever my number 1 game character.. He is the man..
  • immadee - April 17, 2012 2:12 p.m.

Garrus, really? THANE FTW. <3 Siha forever, bby.
  • Spinestalker - April 17, 2012 2:11 p.m.

To romance Garrus was the only reason I played Mass Effect 2 rather then being forced to watch my fiance compromise the xbox for the rest of forever and never get to play. Great game, deserves more then just that, but Garrus is my boyfriend and that's ok.
  • GamerChick27 - April 17, 2012 2:10 p.m.

I am actually surprised Alistair from Dragon Age Origins. Or Joker instead of Garrus. I do like Marston,good choice with that one. The others...meh...then again most of them were girls.
  • minara - April 17, 2012 2:21 p.m.

My photo = win. Alistair is my favourite sidekick.
  • justin-gonzalez - April 17, 2012 2:09 p.m.

Garrus number one? He's a great character but it can be argued that Final Fantasy romances are better done and have better buildup (something a game like ME doesn't have.) Yuna? Tifa? Rinoa? Bastilla from Kotor?
  • LOLmeMARK - April 17, 2012 2:44 p.m.

Um?... Build up? Dude... three games that spanned three years. Big fan of FF but lets face it... Tidus and Yuna? Dude is a dream. came back. OoOo. Tifa, Rinoa, even Aeries.. Great romances but build up? Mass Effect shits all over them im sorry. Were you blind playing mass effect? Not insulting you but just saying you had to have been because if you didn't see any build up you had to have been blind. I stopped playing FF after 13, garbage. MASS EFFECT took the cake. sorry.
  • nonpromqueen - April 17, 2012 2:08 p.m.

Garrus > All the others.
  • christopher-becker - April 17, 2012 2:02 p.m.

No, no, a thousand times no to John Marston. He spent the entire game passing judgement on everyone around him ("You dig up graves and loot the corpses? That's terrible!", "What kind of man kidnaps a woman and child?", etc), but as soon as he's told that he needs to burn down a village and capture women for El Presidente's harem? He does it without batting an eye. He condemns everyone around him for their immoral behavior while, at the same time, doing things far more reprehensible.
  • stephen-ted-manning - April 17, 2012 2:35 p.m.

You're completely missing the central motivator in this plot. He's doing whatever it takes to save his family. Yes. Whatever it takes. Yes a thousand times to John Marston. When everyone would have been happy with another GTA type, morally questionable character from Rockstar, R* went ahead and produced one of the most likable, well received characters to date with John Marston, the former outlaw who was doing WHATEVER IT TAKES to save his wife and child.
  • christopher-becker - April 17, 2012 2:43 p.m.

And in doing whatever it takes, he becomes worse than everyone around him that he's criticizing. He condemns everyone around him for being immoral, but has no problem burning down the houses of innocent people and kidnapping women for his own selfish reasons. He is a hypocrite.
  • stephen-ted-manning - April 17, 2012 3:20 p.m.

You're still completely missing the point. Seth is grave robbing because he's greedy. Others rob and kill because they're malicious. He's doing everything it takes to protect his family. How do you not see that?