• josiah-jacob - April 17, 2012 2:27 p.m.

I think any game that is developed deeply enough to allow you to care about the characters can allow you to really kind of fall for one. Most Mass Effect characters could be on this list. Garrus obviously. But also Thane, Liara, Tali, Wrex, Joker, EDI, and Mordin come to mind. Not always a "romance" kind of love, but still. For me I'd have to include all three main girls from FF7. Tifa, Yuffie, and Aeris. They're surprisingly well created and fleshed out in the story. I also really like the girls in KOTOR and KOTOR2. Mission Vao was adorable, Visas was under appreciated by fans but I really liked her.
  • Desann - April 17, 2012 2:27 p.m.

Great list! And great to see Garrus as number 1. I couldn't agree more.
  • heather-coit - April 17, 2012 2:25 p.m.

I liked Zevran from DAO. He was pretty cool.
  • evan-emolga - April 17, 2012 2:22 p.m.

This post needs more Kingdom hearts because my top seven are from KH Just look look at the outline of the story How does one not love them? Roxas/Aqua (Tied for first) Axel Xion Sora Rikku Tera Ventus
  • Foaman - April 17, 2012 2:21 p.m.

Garrus will be forever my number 1 game character.. He is the man..
  • immadee - April 17, 2012 2:12 p.m.

Garrus, really? THANE FTW. <3 Siha forever, bby.
  • Spinestalker - April 17, 2012 2:11 p.m.

To romance Garrus was the only reason I played Mass Effect 2 rather then being forced to watch my fiance compromise the xbox for the rest of forever and never get to play. Great game, deserves more then just that, but Garrus is my boyfriend and that's ok.
  • GamerChick27 - April 17, 2012 2:10 p.m.

I am actually surprised Alistair from Dragon Age Origins. Or Joker instead of Garrus. I do like Marston,good choice with that one. The others...meh...then again most of them were girls.
  • minara - April 17, 2012 2:21 p.m.

My photo = win. Alistair is my favourite sidekick.
  • justin-gonzalez - April 17, 2012 2:09 p.m.

Garrus number one? He's a great character but it can be argued that Final Fantasy romances are better done and have better buildup (something a game like ME doesn't have.) Yuna? Tifa? Rinoa? Bastilla from Kotor?
  • LOLmeMARK - April 17, 2012 2:44 p.m.

Um?... Build up? Dude... three games that spanned three years. Big fan of FF but lets face it... Tidus and Yuna? Dude is a dream. came back. OoOo. Tifa, Rinoa, even Aeries.. Great romances but build up? Mass Effect shits all over them im sorry. Were you blind playing mass effect? Not insulting you but just saying you had to have been because if you didn't see any build up you had to have been blind. I stopped playing FF after 13, garbage. MASS EFFECT took the cake. sorry.
  • nonpromqueen - April 17, 2012 2:08 p.m.

Garrus > All the others.
  • christopher-becker - April 17, 2012 2:02 p.m.

No, no, a thousand times no to John Marston. He spent the entire game passing judgement on everyone around him ("You dig up graves and loot the corpses? That's terrible!", "What kind of man kidnaps a woman and child?", etc), but as soon as he's told that he needs to burn down a village and capture women for El Presidente's harem? He does it without batting an eye. He condemns everyone around him for their immoral behavior while, at the same time, doing things far more reprehensible.
  • stephen-ted-manning - April 17, 2012 2:35 p.m.

You're completely missing the central motivator in this plot. He's doing whatever it takes to save his family. Yes. Whatever it takes. Yes a thousand times to John Marston. When everyone would have been happy with another GTA type, morally questionable character from Rockstar, R* went ahead and produced one of the most likable, well received characters to date with John Marston, the former outlaw who was doing WHATEVER IT TAKES to save his wife and child.
  • christopher-becker - April 17, 2012 2:43 p.m.

And in doing whatever it takes, he becomes worse than everyone around him that he's criticizing. He condemns everyone around him for being immoral, but has no problem burning down the houses of innocent people and kidnapping women for his own selfish reasons. He is a hypocrite.
  • stephen-ted-manning - April 17, 2012 3:20 p.m.

You're still completely missing the point. Seth is grave robbing because he's greedy. Others rob and kill because they're malicious. He's doing everything it takes to protect his family. How do you not see that?
  • christopher-becker - April 17, 2012 3:23 p.m.

I do see that. It doesn't matter. He is causing immense pain and suffering for others in order to achieve his own goals. When he burns down the village and captures the women just so El Presidente can have more hookers, he is saying "My happiness [in this case, my wife and child] is more important than yours, so I am justified in doing this terrible thing." That is NO DIFFERENT than what Seth does [my happiness is more important than your loved one's dignity], than what the con-man does [my happiness is more important than treating you fairly], or anyone else in the world of Red Dead.
  • stephen-ted-manning - April 17, 2012 3:45 p.m.

Yes, I completely agree that Seth's greed and peculiar desire to have a connection with the dead is completely equivalent to John Marston's goals of protecting his family. It's not even a matter of Marston's happiness, it's a matter of protecting those he loves. You're oversimplifying goals for characters here that have different morals, and are put into different situations.
  • christopher-becker - April 17, 2012 3:49 p.m.

So the well-being of the two people he loves is more important than the well-being of the occupants of the houses he burns down? More important than the well-being of the women who he helps kidnap, and the children they leave behind?
  • stephen-ted-manning - April 17, 2012 3:55 p.m.

Glossing over the fact that the president is killed by the end of the campaign...tell me why the well being of those people are more important? Especially to John Marston. My favorite part of this game is that it's set in the wild west and things, bad things happen. So yes, the beauty of John Marston's character is that he does whatever it takes to save HIS family. He doesn't enjoy doing these evil necessary deeds, but he does so with good reason. It's complicated but a realistic story shouldn't be all sunshine and rainbows.