• Fox_Mulder - January 20, 2012 12:59 a.m.

Great article. I especially loved the changed *Or made up jargon obtained by infiltrating Miyamoto's e-mail. The Driver: SF map looks essentially like the Skyrim map, being rendered in real time, but is way cooler because of it's upgradeability. Keep up the awesome Top 7 features guys!
  • winner2 - January 18, 2012 4:26 p.m.

The map/gps from farcry 2 and I had a love/hate relationship. That game felt pretty real for farcry as well. No mutant animal powers, no pause map, and random malaria attacks. But they took out the option of going prone, and that was where I was shocked.
  • TheRevLives - January 18, 2012 2:59 p.m.

Didn't GTA IV use the same map from the first Saint's Row? Also, Surprised Oblivion's or Morrowind's isn't here.
  • mothbanquet - January 18, 2012 8:16 a.m.

I remember Operation Flashpoint. A bog-standard OS map, a watch and a compass. You get lost, better brush up on your orienteering skills...
  • armerus - January 17, 2012 4:08 p.m.

I knew when I saw Matt Cundy's happy smiling face on the featured article, that I was going to enjoy it. I agree, maps are a good part of a game. Without them it is inevitable that I would be a balled up wreck by the end of the day. These maps are truly great, but I especially love the games that come with map posters, cause I find them a lot more awesome, not only because you can hang them up and shizz, but you can also see where your going without having to go through a menu.
  • sleepyMexican45 - January 17, 2012 11:01 a.m.

Cundy looks like a drunken tramp.
  • A9entOfChaos - January 17, 2012 7:56 a.m.

No love for the Skyrim map? I know it doesn't help you get up the various mountains and it does not calculate a route like GPS. But there is something about looking at that map and thinking wow! How the **** do i get there? IT adds to the adventure IMO.
  • Gyaruson - January 17, 2012 7:43 a.m.

Saints Row 1 had a turn-by-turn guidance system in their game, and that was before GTA4 by over a year and a half. It didn't have voice directions, but it had the same "follow this line to reach your destination" in the minimap. Plus it didn't have a cell phone, which made it infinitely better than GTA4. So, there's that.
  • A9entOfChaos - January 17, 2012 7:54 a.m.

Cool Story
  • Gyaruson - January 17, 2012 9:36 a.m.

Thanks! It makes me happy to know that my quest for factual awareness has brought you a little bit of joy in your life. HAVE A GREAT DAY!
  • Rowdie - January 17, 2012 8:36 p.m.

And we have yet another reason why GTA IV is so overrated.
  • ColinKapow - January 17, 2012 5:50 a.m.

Teetees! I love it when there is a really obscure top 7
  • Zeos - January 16, 2012 11:18 p.m.

Lol. Awesome article as always, guys!
  • brizzie - January 16, 2012 8:51 p.m.

In GTA IV I actually used the physical map to mark all the armor, weapons, pigeons, rare locations (like the sports car shop or the motorcycle shop or the "Rich House"<-- House with a chopper, motorcycle and a sports car) and I used the street names to find the cars for "Steve".
  • FOZ - January 16, 2012 4:46 p.m.

ME2 didn't have a map so much as a pointless little flying mini-game. Odd. Metroid Prime's is one of the most detailed and actually useful maps ever. Far Cry 2's magic map was a pain, because it was all you had to look at unless you wanted to get lost. Make awesome visuals, no GPS or arrow system. This brown piece of paper sure is more appealing than all that jungle and sprawling savanna.
  • A9entOfChaos - January 17, 2012 7:57 a.m.

Let me guess.. someone stole your sweet roll?
  • archnite - January 16, 2012 4:05 p.m.

I'd add the Just Cause map for when you first open the map up and think "wow this game is pretty big" and then pull back and realize you were only looking at like an eight of the whole thing. Plus it did the Driver: San Fran thing first.
  • EwoksTasteLikeChicken - January 16, 2012 2:59 p.m.

Mass Effect 2 should be 6 and Doom should be 7. Just saying.
  • TURbo - January 16, 2012 1:06 p.m.

Skyrim map interface was one of the most weakest parts of the game.