Topics

Top 7

We Recommend

• BlackTeam13 - February 1, 2011 1:11 a.m.

Only one point and click game Charlie? I expected more from you.
  • CH3BURASHKA - February 1, 2011 12:27 a.m.

The depth of my Pokemon strategy never extended beyond holding down and A to catch Pokemon better, and getting to Cinnabar Island to get unlimited Rare Candies. I knew through other people that Pokemon was complicated as hell, but I never even thought those little cartridges could fit entire college courses, from the looks of things. Good article, Charlie. Hope to hear you on the 'Dar this week!
  • celticsfan645 - February 1, 2011 12:22 a.m.

Im already a genius, i dont need no video games to tell me so.
  • TrAnMu - January 31, 2011 11:39 p.m.

Aw no Phoenix Wright games? Good article none the less.
  • FanofSaiyan - January 31, 2011 11:37 p.m.

I doubt it would ever be considered part of this list, but the sheer amount of hand-eye coordination it takes to master Guitar Hero is staggering. I've played on expert for a few years now and am still progressively getting better (it doesn't help that my Wii broke awhile back...). As for Pokemon... I thought those mathematics were a joke! 0.0
  • Redeater - January 31, 2011 11:36 p.m.

I have to say i'm shocked that King's Quest 5 isn't on here. Throw a feakin pie at the yeti??? I have to say until I got all the way to the end and couldn't finish it because i had missed the fish hook, well that made me feel pretty freakin brilliant.
  • batmanboy11 - January 31, 2011 11:20 p.m.

Good list.
  • BrochachoLovers - January 31, 2011 11:19 p.m.

After playing Darksiders i felt mentally fatigued . And sadly have to agree with what Ventanger pointed out. ( your still a fruity rabbit )
  • IcelandMaelstrom - January 31, 2011 11:17 p.m.

this one's a little out there definitely, but keeping in the theme of games that really make you think, but aren't strictly puzzle games my mind went immediately to demon's souls. demon's souls creates a very specific atmosphere for thought. there's one part memorization and hack/slash skill, which doesn't warrant anything special, but every obstacle is so brutal, and they"re all so varied, that there is far more strategic thought involved than twitch reflex (although it's a blend of both that makes me feel smart when i play it). it's just so clear about watching what your enemies are doing and knowing how to respond- and doing it quickly. it's like a really quick game of chess, only someone's screaming in your ear the whole time, and so you have to reach a zen in the game. anyways, it's a different kind of pick and all these ones definitely fit with the theme better, but were it a top 8 that would be my pick
  • DevilDoor - January 31, 2011 11:08 p.m.

Thought there would be at least one entry with Sherlock Holmes.
  • TURbo - January 31, 2011 11:04 p.m.

Brett Elston has a lot of explaining on the Pokemons
  • CaptainSalmon - January 31, 2011 11:03 p.m.

I would have personally put Phoenix Wright up there instead of Prof. Layton; Layton always makes me feel insanely dumb when I can't solve a 40 picarats puzzle about a man and his three sons. The youngest son is 9. 10? 11?! F*ck this.
  • MrPlasticTramp - January 31, 2011 11:01 p.m.

No Monkey Islands? I've never felt smarter than when i realized i had to use the chicken to get across the rope ! I was quite young though when I first did it to be fair...
  • AnarchyZombie - January 31, 2011 10:56 p.m.

The Dut' always makes me feel intelimagent because of all the wild plot twists.
  • paganpoet - January 31, 2011 10:53 p.m.

It was Alundra for me. That game has some of the most brutal RPG puzzles ever (the Ice Manor, anyone??), but, damn it, I did it. And I was only 14.
  • talkraider - January 31, 2011 10:51 p.m.

I love being smart
  • pinoklin - January 31, 2011 10:51 p.m.

amazing article, and by seeing that screenie i take it mashing the buttons to catch pokemon doesn't work right?. But really nice read good job Charlie.
  • Phazon117 - January 31, 2011 10:48 p.m.

YOU FORGOT ANGRY BIRDZ (because I know how much you don't care for that game :P)
  • Radagast107 - January 31, 2011 10:43 p.m.

you know another game that takes FOREVER to beat because of its difficulty and length. Ecco the Dolphin. Some of those mazes are near impossible and after beating the game you feel like you have accomplished something great. But also after beating it you vow to never play the game again. At least that is what I did!
  • GamesRadarCharlieBarratt - January 31, 2011 10:41 p.m.

@Roflcoptersmileyface Thank you, but the Pokemon entry was actually written by our resident Pokemon PhD, Carolyn Gudmundson.