Topics

Top 7

• sepirothpk - November 21, 2008 11:42 p.m.

I'm playing FFVII now, and I'm finding it a great game. While the graphics haven't aged too well, I believe the story and characters are actually quite good. FFVI was good too, but they also had stereotyped characters and the story wasn't that "original" as people claim. I beleive them both to be good games
  • sgh342 - October 11, 2009 1:56 a.m.

Final Fantasy VII was great, but it overshadowed later games. FFVIII and IX were great games, but you don't hear nostalgia pouring for those, now do you?
  • waldorfkirby - October 13, 2009 10:56 p.m.

I want to vomit! what utter toot, i may cry myself to sleep now.. even though i agree absolutely. Well done GR... for nothing and everything :)
  • ranivus - February 8, 2010 7:17 p.m.

Yeah and i got suckered in paying $8 for my copy of FF7 on my ps3. I played it for 4hours and havent touched it since i bought it 3 months ago. Lost Odyssey is my top JRPG of the era imho
  • ObsessionWithEdgeworth - February 28, 2010 3:29 a.m.

OMG, the game on page 1, Sonic Adventure DX: Directors Cut. I never worked out what the DX stood for. That game was so annoying
  • Memph - May 3, 2010 11:03 a.m.

i found the worst thing by far in FFVII was the random battles. it could take 30mins to walk 20 feet and when trying to reach a save point it was ridiculously tedious. that said i clocked over 80 hours on it, my gf loved to watch it for the story and actually cried when aeris died :/ 7 being my first rpg my most vivid memory of it was the sheer black magic of cutscene graphics melded directly into gameplay. that train pulled in and i was, 'crikey, this is the game? i can move? wow!' followed immediately by a battle scene and 'wtf is this? why won't he move? ffs hit him!! oh i got magic selected *chooses attack* well go on hit the bast! he's got a sword the size of a viking's oar and he hits him once? wtf do you do i can't sodding move him!?' 30mins later i'm blowing up a reactor with Mr. T and hooked like a butcher's goods. still, chrono trigger smacks the crap out of any FF game, imo. though being my first, 7 definitely has and deserves my fond memories with it. being a sega gamer until the ps1 i hadn't even heard of final fantasy.
  • ultimatepunchrod - May 3, 2010 3:23 p.m.

uh. im pretty sure people can be nostalgic for whatever makes them nostalgic. its really subjective and if you played it a while back and remember enjoying yourself while playing it, well thats pretty much all nostalgia needs. and sonic adventure didnt mark the end of good sonic games because look at sonic adventure 2 and tell me that was a bad game.
  • Wikkwik - May 7, 2010 10:32 a.m.

Final Fantasy 8 detroyed 7 :) end of discussed. FF 7 is a dead game, yeah the story is good and the characters personalities are good aswell. but it is not the god of games people claim it to be. it doesnt have the replayable factor as the story is worn after the first play through. oh and btw i have and have completed every FF and got perfect files on them all (yes even 13) to end.. FF8 beats in graphics story and..everything. Win :)
  • TURbo - July 17, 2010 1:20 a.m.

TDAR1
  • ultimatepunchrod - July 17, 2010 2:59 a.m.

just wanted to say that it is really just stupid to say that "nothing changed" from one release of sonic adventure to the next. The entire climate of platformers changed. new ones came out evolving from the previous gen's style if spyro the dragon were re-released today it wouldnt get as good of review scores because devs have built on that standard and now platformers are better now than they were then.
  • JosefMotley - July 17, 2010 9:19 a.m.

thank you for bringing up super star wars, awful games
  • alexgm711 - July 17, 2010 10:15 p.m.

Dudes please let go of final fantasy, believe me, analyze a little bit and you´ll notice it is a whatever game, good but that´s it, By the way when they killed Aeris I didn´t give a shit, I palyed this game in 2002 and it wasn´t my first rpg to play.
  • Ripamaru - July 19, 2010 1:50 a.m.

The deal with FF7 is quite simple, the "bland" or "stereo-typical" characters let you use a near forgotten thing called imagination. The people in that game were exactly who you wanted them to be.
  • superdude22 - July 19, 2010 2:04 a.m.

Dear Mr. Elston, I agree with many of the things you wrote in this article. I find that Terra and Cecil are much more interesting than a whiny emo Cloud. They actually develop throughout the story. Cloud is the same at the beginning as he is at the end except maybe more emo. Please write more articles such as this one.
  • Ganonpork - July 24, 2010 7:04 a.m.

ffIV is interesting until cosmo crater opens up, I like ff13 and ff6 better.
  • Millikin - September 11, 2010 8:41 a.m.

You're forgetting what it was like getting Sonic Adventure when the Dreamcast came out. The visuals were absolutely mind blowing. There was nothing on any other console that could compare. Sonic Adventure took a mostly 2D, pixellated character and gave him a 21st Century makeover that made Super Mario 64 look like a lumpy blu tak figure with paper squares tacked over it. What's more, Sonic's levels were jaw-dropping incredible. Even if the camera was a bit of a pain occasionally, for the first time in Sonic the Hedgehog history, we were running through a Sonic level... FAST!! Sonic ran so fast. The idea that Sega could design beautiful next gen levels only to whisk by them at 95mph was amazing, even if most levels stuck to floating, open air tracks. The plot and characters were as complicated as they could have been. Admittedly, Big the Cat was pointless, and the embodiment of Sega's preoccupation with a huge range of daft minigames, from kart driving to pinball to chao raising to fishing. However, Sonic Team were taking simple, largely silent characters with pretty plastic profiles (This is Sonic, he has an attitude. This is Tails, he's young and loyal. This is Knuckles, he's tough and brave but a bit of a blockhead) and giving them voices, opinions and individidual stories to play out that mesh together in the surprise ending chapter. Sonic Adventure may look silly now, but it is fully justified for haunting us with waves of nostalgia. I was introduced to Sonic through Sonic the Hedgehog 1, 2 and 3. I played Sonic Adventure when I was 10 or 11, and it absolutely blew my mind.
  • Ash9102 - September 11, 2010 8:44 p.m.

I enjoyed Sonic Adventure. Sonic can grow into the 3d scene. It just needs to improve on its weaknesses AND LEAVE all the not needed additions. E.g Sonic unleashed and its were hog. =.=
  • skatingsteve - October 18, 2010 7:27 p.m.

This whole article is designed to insight flaming and arguments but FF7 is the definitive rgp/jrpg. It easily stands as one of the top 20 games ever made. The characters were well designed and the way in which the game gradually unfolds to give you more freedom allows the characters to become better understood too. FF6 was ok but far too linear. THE MOST ANNOYING THING HERE > The writer of this whole article has clearly never heard of headings. People cant be bothered reading pages of information about games they never played/had no interest in just to find out why they shouldnt like them anyway.
  • TearsofLaughter - October 20, 2010 2:49 a.m.

I'll have you all effen effs know that FF7 was indeed a ps1 game not a ps2 game.......wait what is everyone talkin about?
  • freestyler3rmg - October 22, 2010 7:26 a.m.

finally... someone sane enough to understand that FFVII is just an ordinary games... I don't know about all the hype for FFVII (beside the graphic)... FFIX is better than FFVII...