Topics

TalkRadar

We Recommend

• kubes - July 17, 2009 10:09 p.m.

congrats only 40 weeks till u make it to 100
  • MercenaryQ - July 17, 2009 10:05 p.m.

WOOOOT New Podcast....god damn it i'm happy ;)
  • ChrisAntistaSmellsLikePizza - July 17, 2009 9:58 p.m.

wooooooooooooooo best 1:57:46 of my week.
  • richomak27 - July 17, 2009 9:48 p.m.

On with the pordcast.
  • SmashTVAnt - July 17, 2009 9:35 p.m.

I made the landing page! Now to get my mention on the podcast... Listening tonight, which at midnight will be my 21st birthday..today is a good day.
  • Jordo141 - July 17, 2009 9:28 p.m.

T-dar time. Shoop-da-whoop!!!
  • ClusterShart - July 17, 2009 9:19 p.m.

I love you guys, *Glenn Beck Cry* So much.
  • Spybreak8 - July 21, 2009 5:31 a.m.

Podcast sounded good guys, a few times some people were soft but mostly good levels. Thx for that innuendo humor, priceless. btw reCaptcha was (before I refreshed it) "WASHINGTON for Presien how fast plaiding". Seriously no joke, bug?!
  • mikeydo00 - July 20, 2009 11:30 p.m.

Nintendo had better be paying for the damage on my house when the plane lands!!!!
  • killerwhalen - July 20, 2009 8:46 p.m.

This is my first time listening to you guys and it was great! I'll be sure to tune in to the rest of them!
  • iluvmyDS - July 19, 2009 8:03 p.m.

Well done you guys had 3 awesome casts in a row, as opposed to the rest that are just really damn good. I agree with Brett in the regard that real or realistic blood freaks me out but fake blood doesn't.
  • AA95mp - July 18, 2009 4:10 p.m.

it's about time to.
  • 435 - July 18, 2009 1:20 p.m.

The new equipment is great. YAY TALKRADAR
  • Major_Wuss - July 18, 2009 11:20 a.m.

FYI- The End can actually photosynthesize as he has some strain of moss in his veins.
  • LordSwearengen - July 18, 2009 10:23 a.m.

@ garnsr/michaelmcc827: That's a fair point, actually. I think it's awesome that many younger gamers are into retro, as a lot of those old games still have a ton to offer (Ask Sonic Team - they'll deny it, but they know... They know...) For those of us who were there when those old games came out, they were the cutting edge. They were IT. I think that people put on the 'retro goggles' and tend to look at these games as exercises in pure mechanics - what makes a shooter/platformer etc fundamentally work when you take away the graphical/processing flash we're all used to. This is a totally valid thing to do, as many of these old games wrote the rules in the first place - Robotron for shooters, Donkey Kong for platformers etc. But when these games were new, they were the most advanced things of their day. When I was a kid, entire articles were written on how Lords of Midnight could fit an entire fantasy world into a C64, and for us it WAS miraculous. You could have used a time machine to send back a PC/xbox with Oblivion to 1985, and killed an entire generation of gamers by making them s**t their own guts with sheer disbelief. Younger gamers looking back will always see these games as old tech and not understand what these games meant at the time, much like no-one my age (I'm 33) can realistically listen to the Beatles and fully get what is was like to hear those records on the day of release. And the longer us old-timers stick around, the greater the difference seems. I remember having playground conversations with my schoolmates about which games we wanted to see - top of the list was a shooting game you could 'see' from the eyes of your character. A few years later, Wolfenstein 3D surfaced, then Doom, and we realised that these games we thought were pure fantasy were finally getting made. This may be an odd thing to say from someone who isn't particularly an FPS nut, but those early Id games made me a gamer for life, whereas if they hadn't evolved I'd have probably 'grown out' of them like I'd always suspected I would. At the end of the day, having 'been there' doesn't make us better than younger gamers, and I applaud many of them for seeking out the old stuff. It's just... Well, different. In the end I guess it doesn't really matter either way, but when you remember being 8 and thinking a Master System gave you an arcade in your living room... Imagine how much Outrun Arcade makes this old-timer grin! Um... I've been typing so long I've forgotten if I addressed the question at all. Don't judge me, I'm old. Where's my shotgun? Damn kids in the yard again, blah blah blah...
  • LordSwearengen - July 18, 2009 9:47 a.m.

Nice, D/Ling this forthwith.
  • garnsr - July 18, 2009 6:42 a.m.

Sorry, I missed an e in michaelmcc827.
  • garnsr - July 18, 2009 6:40 a.m.

@ michalmcc827 I'd be curious to see what the demographic breakdown is for Talkradar. The cast is around the same age or a few years younger than me (I'm 32) but the audience sounds like it's in its 20s. I think in video games being there does mean more than in other media. Games have progressed so much in their reasonably short life that even a few years can create an almost entirely different scene. Younger players can play the old games, but I don't think they experience them the same way the people who were there, growing with the medium, experienced, and remember it. Most of the games mentioned at the end of the podcast aren't worth messing with for people who didn't have to slog through old-timey crap, but so many of us had the same experience with the mid- and late-period NES games, that younger groups don't have to go through. Later generations of gamers don't play as many of the earlier, crappy games as the generations that had to choose which games were good, as they came out, so time does affect which games people remember from earlier times. It doesn't necessarily make anyone better than anyone else, but the older gamers do have more experience with games as they come out, and have seen how particular games affect the whole video gaming zeitgeist.
  • garnsr - July 18, 2009 4:27 a.m.

As one of only three people (clearly the old-timers) who said that the NES (we always called it Nintendo, then Super Nintendo) was his favorite system, the last chunk of the podcast must have meant just about nothing to all the youngsters who listen to it. Way to reference more things that your audience doesn't remember (keep it up.)
  • ChrisAntistaLikesLittleBoys - July 18, 2009 12:04 a.m.

I mean second