• ObliqueZombie - March 23, 2012 9:31 a.m.

I literally just want Megaman. I don't give a shit about the others (who were great picks, love to see them in the game), as long as I got Megaman. :F
  • SouthTippBass - March 23, 2012 8:35 a.m.

I was thinking more along the lines of Sonic AND Tails, playing much like the Ice-Climbers would. That is, both of them on screen at once, with Tails able to give a lift to Sonic for specials, or save him from falling off the edge. That or Geno, why no Geno on this list?
  • cgriff63 - March 23, 2012 8:25 a.m.

some of these I think would be cool (raiden, rayman, matthew, and travis touchdown), but there are definitely better characters to add to the roster than tanooki mario, tom nook, and the hero from dragon quest. and I would bet on mega man being in the next ssb. (possibly megaman and zero? that'd be cool)
  • Darkhawk - March 23, 2012 8:06 a.m.

This was a terribe list right up until the last few entries. Who the hell ever heard of Matthew or Andy? However, I will grant that Knuckles, Raiden, or Mega Man would be awesome
  • samsneeze - March 23, 2012 8:38 a.m.

To be fair, most people had never heard of Fire Emblem until Melee, if I'm not mistaken. And Golden Sun has a pretty decent sized fan base now. The fact that you could drop almost almost any of it's characters into the game and get a distinct and showy move set is more than enough reason for their inclusion in the game.
  • cgriff63 - March 23, 2012 6:30 p.m.

golden sun definitely has enough fans to justify inclusion. (in fact, I think one of them might have had an assist trophy in brawl, maybe I'm mistaken though)
  • J-Fid - March 23, 2012 8:03 a.m.

I still think Shantae would be a great fit. A better fit than half of these options. I don't think having multiple forms of the same character is a good idea either. Tanooki Mario could be a new final smash for Mario. Instead of Yarn Kirby, have Prince Fluff as an Assist Trophy. King Hippo cannot be in the game without Little Mac being playable, that would be wrong (also I think King Hippo would be MUCH better off as a boss). I would not be surprised if a Mii was somehow represented, but I do not want to see that hideous balance board involved (unless it is an item, that might be funny). I would love to see an AC character represented. I like the ideas for Tom Nook. I think Zoroark's vast possibilities are his biggest weakness. He is way too gimmicky, even in the main games. Maybe he could disguise himself as other characters, but even then, he can't use there own moves. If we are talking Tekken, what about Street Fighter? Ryu needs more crossover appearances. Last if anybody ever saw Smash Kingdom Melee, they would know that Ganondorf would not approve of Vaati being in Smash Bros. :) Well... that's my rant on this subject.
  • azureguy - March 23, 2012 7:48 a.m.

Travis Touchdown would be my favorite choice, but his games are too mature for a Smash Bros. game's story mode. Andy, Tom Nook and paper mario would be a good choice though. Mega Man would be the next best thing after Sonic and Snake, but I doubt that anyone at Capcom would push the idea. Those that would have already left the company anyway, including Keiji Inafune itself.
  • KolbitosFruitJuice - March 23, 2012 6:58 a.m.

We seriously need some more Metroid characters. How about a Space Pirate? Dark Samus? Dark Samus would easily be unique enough to not be a simple clone character. Vaati is a great idea. But so is Demise and Ghirahim.
  • metroid2099400 - March 23, 2012 6:45 a.m.

I'd love to see a Pokemon-Trainer view of Link from Majora's Mask. Transforming between the Goron, Deku and Zora Links would be awesome, and really break up an otherwise standard character. Final smash would, of course, be Fierce Deity. I'd also like to see more characters from the Metroid series. I know we had Zero-Suit Samus in Brawl, but a Space Pirate with his laser sickle from Prime or a Federation Trooper from Prime II?
  • HankVenture - March 23, 2012 1:53 p.m.

O HELL YEA! Majora's Mask link. I think Space Pirate would be cool but, it's not really a specific character, it's a grunt. Dark Samus would be good though... floating around her shots are less powerful but do more of a Splash Damage effect, slowing draining health for a bit of time maybe
  • Hiruandan - March 23, 2012 6:37 a.m.

Less clone characters and more third party glory. Amaterasu, Professor Layton, Phoenix wright, Megaman and maybe even paintbrush mickey from epic mickey. also, BRING BACK MY ROY ALREADY! *fangirlrage*
  • samsneeze - March 23, 2012 4:55 a.m.

A Dragon Quest character would make me happy. I'd very much prefer it was the hero from DQV, though it's more likely it'll be Erdrick or Roto/Loto. I've been saying the series needed a Golden Sun character for the longest time now. The things they could do with the summons and psynergy would astounding. Beyond that, I can't think of any other characters that I'd actually want in Super Smash Bros.. I just don't feel that strongly about the series.
  • Nap1400 - March 23, 2012 4:27 a.m.

Travis Touchdown is all I need. Also you guys left out a key detail pretty much securing his possibility as a character: Suda51 himself has stated he would like to see Travis Touchdown in SSB. The minute he said that fans of the series would hound both him and probably Sakurai to include him. I'd say he's a shoo-in at this point.
  • lilmarkd96 - March 23, 2012 4:03 a.m.

no shadow??. and i know this is a LONGSHOT but how bout kid goku
  • Cyberninja - March 23, 2012 3:58 a.m.

I'll clarify the birdo issue just the first game had birdo as a male, and it was a specific birdo name Cathrine and that was in SMB2, afterward Nintendo has referred to birdo as female starting with Mario Tennis, so officially birdo is female from now on, unless Nintendo offically states that non Cathrine birdo's are male.
  • Cyberninja - March 23, 2012 4:03 a.m.

one last thing is that if someone wants to use the defense "SMB2 was the first game to have birdo so she will be a male forever." you have to remember it was a dream, which is why they have the ability to turn a male in a dream into a female in reality
  • WTeen8 - March 23, 2012 6:26 a.m.

Also you can argue that it is an entire species of birdos so half are male, and half are female. Also Captain Rainbow.
  • Dmancapri - March 23, 2012 3:42 a.m.

I think Steve, the default Minecraft character would be a good choice, what with the various weapons he could use- sword, creeper egg as a timed bomb, maybe a block-laying physic, final smash- the Nether or nighttime, like pikmin. Also, they could replace pokemon trainer with N, the enemy of pokemon black/white.
  • jmcgrotty - March 23, 2012 3:33 a.m.

First, as others have said, Birdo is a male. Was in the original instruction book, so it will always be the case. Deal with it. Secondly, and more relevant, this article had one very, very important result: It's time to end all of the Smash Bros garbage. There are already too many characters and there are only 4 1/2 characters in this list that deserve to be included ever as well. The other nearly-twenty? It's embarrassing you even bothered to list them. That's not to even mention that exactly only 17 characters from Super Smash Bros Brawl should have been included in the first place. Utterly pathetic. But, all you did was point out how much of a failure this series has become.