• BladedFalcon - December 18, 2013 7:10 a.m.

...Welp, guess I was wring in thinking Nintendo would step up their game for this new Nintendo direct.
  • shawksta - December 18, 2013 7:57 a.m.

Depends on how you look at it. Hyrule Warriors only shows Nintendo is continuing their plan on letting third parties handle their IP's and just letting their IP's into everything, only strengthened by that Yoshi's Island Sonic Zone DLC and future Most-likely-but-not-confirmed Zelda DLC Then there's got Eshop stuff and then there's the psuedo Mario Kart into Smash trailer. and apparently Japan and Europe got even more stuff like a release date for Layton vs Ace Attorney and other things. It was mostly 3DS but we also got some neat things for Wii U, more or less
  • BladedFalcon - December 18, 2013 8:15 a.m.

...Yes, because what Nintendo fans wanted to hear wasn't more about a New Zelda, a new star Fox, a new IP altogether, or at the very least more concrete details about the new Smash bros games that isn't a single character reveal... Apparently, what fans want, (And what Nintendo seems to think they need to get back on track...) is a spin-off that's basically a zelda skinned version of Dinasty Warriors... A franchise that just about anyone that isn't Jim Sterling is completely sick of at this point. DLC for a Third party game that wasn't that great nor that popular to begin with. And a Luigi themed version of Dr Mario... A puzzle game that isn't really that popular nor that beloved within the already niche genre of puzzles... Even looking at it from different angles, I fail to see how what they presented here is in any way better or more exciting than anything of what people actually WANT from Nintendo. See, this is my problem with you, or just about every diehard fan of Nintendo out there: Compare the comments and posts made on the days before a Nintendo direct or a press reveal is announced, look at what people clamor and ask from Nintendo. Then compare it to what is actually revealed and presented: It's very rarely what people want or even better; It's always LESS. And yet, as shown by your above post, instead of getting angry or feeling betrayed by Nintendo, the first things fans do is to bend over backwards to defend the shit they just revealed even though it isn't remotely what they wanted in the first place. It's the kind of twisted, baffling brand loyalty that I just don't see with any other company.
  • Cyberninja - December 18, 2013 8:46 a.m.

Nintendo does things that interesting and different, I personally am not sick of the DW fanchise since I have only played one game and look at the post from yesterday I made about the Nintendo Direct and tell me again what I was asking for exactly? I know a New Zelda comes when New Zelda comes after all we just had Link between Worlds for 3DS which was new, a new star fox I could care less about and in case you didn't notice new ips are pretty frequent for their smaller games. I went in with no expectations for the Nintendo Direct and was pleasantly surprised by the result, I have no reason to feel betrayal or anything of that nature. But then again you can never speak for all fans some people will always want more then they will get, but seriously check my comment for yesterday and see if my attitude and response reflect how I feel. After all I see a bunch of new interesting games I will enjoy playing and you see Nintendo failing to keep up with Mircosoft and Sony but to each his own
  • Cyberninja - December 18, 2013 8:51 a.m.

Also I will state the only time I have been disappointed by a companies event was the PS4 launch, they hyped it up like they would have new annoucements that mattered and the only thing we learned about was a new uncharted which I could care less about. remember I am not a blind Nintendo fanboy I play a good deal of games on Sony consoles as well after all 2 of the next 3 games I am purchasing are LR:FF13 and Blazblue:CP both for my PS3
  • pl4y4h - December 18, 2013 9:01 a.m.

But...but...Cranky Kong..... Kidding of course, but nintendo is all over the place right now and not necessarily in a good way
  • BladedFalcon - December 18, 2013 11:08 a.m.

...Yes, because a re-skin of a franchise that has over 20 titles that feature the exact same gameplay over and over again is something totally interesting and different... Just because YOU have only played only one game doesn't negate the fact that the DW franchise is even more formulaic and tired than the Call of Duty franchise at this point. Also, I made a generalization on purpose, because while it may not apply to YOU, go and look at the posts of the majority of the people in such threads, both in this site and others, and you'll see that most of them pretty much do have an expectation set. Werther that's right or not that's another matter entirely, but just because it doesn't apply to you, doesn't negate it for the people that do. So yeah, if you actually found the announcements exciting, then good for you. Though i'm still pretty much convinced that if these same kinds of announcements had been made by any other company, no one would have batted an eye, or they would have complained. And yeah, I won't defend the PS4 launch event, that was pretty underwhelming in every shape and form.
  • Vonter - December 18, 2013 12:02 p.m.

I don't know why you're mad at the very least you could move on, like if every other company revealed something lackluster you simply ignore it. I'm not defending the direct, just that is kind of tiring hearing people feeling entitled for Nintendo to do things, since in the end if you don't get what you want you go to other places, I don't buy EA games, is bad Nintendo will not have their support, but I don't care. I liked the Smash video, because it didn't feel like an after thought like Sonic reveal, I like Bravely default demo is a prologue, and I was surprised for the Zelda crossover because, frankly I've never played that series and as of now I'm expecting being something niche and odd like Pokemon Conquest.
  • BladedFalcon - December 18, 2013 12:58 p.m.

I don't think I ever gave the impression that I was mad in any way, if nothing else, I'm simply disappointed in the sense that I'd think they would want to step up their game now that things are looking increasingly more dire for their console. I don't see how this is in any way entitlement, heck, considering my dislike for the Wii U you could even say this is better because it'll help sink the machine faster. Yet I'm still a gamer, I still love Nintendo games, and I DO like when Nintendo surprises with genuinely new, fun stuff, but in this case, I really don't think that's what happened.
  • Vonter - December 18, 2013 1:05 p.m.

Oh ok, my apologies then. Just a suggestion, careful when generalizing since most often than not people have different views about something.
  • BladedFalcon - December 18, 2013 1:33 p.m.

Yes, which is why I was targeting a specific section of people. And besides, generalizing is just easier, if there are exceptions then that can be dealt with when it comes up. But if there IS an existing trend between a large group of people, you can't expect someone to make a case by case statement :P
  • shawksta - December 18, 2013 8:59 a.m.

Cyberninja said it already but let me tell you something. and this goes for anyone out there, your a fool if you set your expectations high on a Nintendo direct and do it every goddamn time. Your not entitled, your spoiled, we are even lucky we GET Nintendo Direct in the first place. You cant set high standards especially when they flat out tell you what said direct is about. If there's a surprise big reveal, there you go, but otherwise your not supposed to expect one till Nintendo says they are putting one. Also Nintendo in general is about new experiences, for better or for worse they experiment and do different things. Iwata said it himself that its common for them to ""betray people's expectations". Is a star fox overdue? Yes, your constantly blabbing about it and becoming Cranky Kong about it while dismissing everything else is just selfish entitlement. If you recall GR's old article about how doing nothing but listening to fans is never a good idea and Nintendo tends to go to a different direction people soon learn to appreciate. Nobody expected Mario Galaxy, its sequel, and neither did they expect Super Mario 3D World, and yet people wouldnt have experienced the goodness those 2 brought if Nintendo just released another Open World 3D Platforming game that didnt innovate or bring a fantastic experience. What your saying is that im SUPPOSED to get mad "Because its not what the fans wanted" but i didnt set expectations, all i did was be suprised by the games they showed on said direct. Now i understand your concern and critique against Nintendo's decisions and in terms of games and software, THAT in general is fine, but throwing it against Nintendo Direct is pushing it because its nothing your entitled to. and really Smash bros is more on reveal, its has been like this every goddamn time.
  • BladedFalcon - December 18, 2013 11:51 a.m.

U mad boy? Awfully defensive there, aren't we? I don't believe anything of what I said was in any way feeling entitled about getting something. Having expectations doesn't equal entitlement, at least, not last time I checked. And whether you like it or not, when you release a product, or you become known for something, you WILL have people expecting something from you. Also... just to show how much you lost it in this post, and how you truly can become a mindless fanboy who will bend backwards to defend what you like even if you end up directly contradicting yourself. In the past when we both argued about super Mario 3D, I was the one arguing that one of the biggest flaws Nintendo had, is that they didn't really innovate that much, nor do they take risks with new franchises. And you immediately jumped and said that this wasn't a bad thing and that Nintendo was about delivering quality experiences and blah blah blah. Fast forward to now, and while indeed I was proven wrong about Super Mario 3D World, (And I do believe I immediately acknowledged it.) it also highlights a complete 180 from your previous stance... While my own point still stands. Because, as much as you're ranting above about "how Nintendo is all about defying expectations" and shit... Nothing that they shown in this Nintendo direct was in any way innovative or a risk. They defied expectations only in that they released derivative, less ambitious stuff from their lesser known franchises, but you can tell me with a straight face that any f the elements shown in the Nintendo direct are truly new or innovative. So yeah... I'd recommend you chill out before you go on into your silly angry rants like this one, because they only make you sound far more irrational and ignorant than what I know you really are. You're better than this, act like it.
  • shawksta - December 18, 2013 4:59 p.m.

Sure, your right and thanks. I already said your argument is good, my issue is the expectation of any Nintendo Direct to occur. Your argument still stands strong about having Nintendo needing to do more ambitious things. The spark that blew it is the fact that you made your point about the majority of always asking what they wanted for a Nintendo Direct only to be dissapointed, pointing a generalization. Your right on that too, but it is a "Problem" about me that i wasnt dissapointed? That's kind of left field, Im just not, because i didnt set the high expectations. Thats all. Either way i understand, both of us can. But though im kind of bummered people dont understand the essence of Smash Bros Hype. Its all about the characters and its always hype whena CGI + Gameplay 2 minute long trailer is made for a newcomer. It was stated by Sakurai that in replacement of removing the Subspace Emmisary he'll make cutscenes of Characters interacting for every newcomer and Rosalina's was the best yet with Kirby just interrupting a Mario Kart and getting Blasted off the sky.
  • BladedFalcon - December 18, 2013 6:37 p.m.

The reason why I see it as a "problem" for people like you or most Nintendo fans and followers for not being disappointed by the current state of Nintendo, or the announcements (or lack thereof) they are making is this: Nintendo is in a very bad spot right now where the Wii U is concerned, the console is struggling greatly and the future for it is frankly not looking very bright. Nintendo had an entire year as headstart just like the 360 had back in last gen, but unlike the 360, the Wii U wasted away for the majority of the year, and when the good games finally came out, they failed to make a big splash economically. What I'm getting at is this: The state of the console right now is in more dire conditions than the 3DS was, than the GC was. Both for Nintendo and it's customer's best interests, I think already or a few months back we should have seen a Nintendo who's fighting back, just like they fought back and made a comeback with the 3DS back at the end of 2011 and at the start of 2012. The fact that they aren't, or that the games shown today seem to be the extent of what they think will be "enough" should be worrying by those invested in the console's future, just like you. The fact that you aren't is in itself worrying, at least for me. Of course, I'm not invested in the console, so it's maybe not my place to say, and heck, this kinda works in my favor as I tend to dislike Nintendo home consoles to begin with. But the reason I care, is because I know a lot of people who love games, and love Nintendo, and I'd wish they would demand more of their favorite company, specially when they haven't done a very good job themselves. Look at Sony, and Sony followers. Back in the early years of the PS3, Sony made very well documented terrible decisions all across the board, and yes, even then the fanboys fought and defended furiously anything they could, no matter how ridiculous and stupid it was. But even they themselves weren't just satisfied by what Sony was doing. And thus we had pretty much everyone, fanboys included, complaining about for example, the terrible advertising campaign, and thus is was changed, from horrible crying baby dolls, to the sensational Kevin Butler. And it went from half cooked exclusives and lack of third party support, to getting, even if belatedly, most of the best third party games already out for the 360, and increasingly stronger exclusives. But I am convinced taht a lot of it was because while they got fan support, the fans themselves were claiming for change, and improvement. Which is, in my opinion, something I don't often see with a lot of the Nintendo fanbase. Yes, there ARE people that ask for more, but a lot seem to be content with anything that Nintendo does, even when they are at their worst. And that's the kind of mindset that worries me. Yes, love for a brand is one thing, but IF you really love that brand, then even as the staunchest supporter, you should plant your foot whenever you think they are not doing enough, even though maybe they should. Lastly, coming back to the games and things announced today. I just want to clarify that I don't think anything announced today was "bad" or crappy per se, a lot of those things do look cool, even if small. My problem is that, let's face it, none of them are going to be game changers, none of them are big games or announcements. Compare this to back when they made that Nintendo direct in which they revealed the new Yoshi game, and X, and all of those cool stuff. That Nintendo direct was so strong that even I was impressed, and everyone felt bolstered and more confident in the Wii U, and with good reason. But sadly, most of those games still seem a ways away, and with Nintendo not doing anything to try and revive momentum, is what to me feels like this is a defeat more than a victory, but again, that's just me I guess. Also, I don't think I ever complained about the smash bros reveals per se, those are completely fine on their own. I just meant that if it's true that the game is getting closer to coming out, I'd think Nintendo could stand to show a little bit more than usual? So far, we know about the new characters that get revealed, but how much do we know about everything else? what about gameplay mechanics? what about balance? what about the 3DS version? Think back on how Capcom handled the information flow for their fighting games, it had a lot of character reveals as well, but say, with Street Fighter X Tekken they also periodically released more tidbits about the gameplay, the tag team component, then Pandora mode, then the gems. That's what I was referring about with my comment earlier. We're knowing more and more about the roster of the game, yet still know next to nothing about the actual gameplay as a whole.
  • shawksta - December 18, 2013 7:25 p.m.

I understand, and i agree no doubt. We both know its gonna hopefully be a good wake up call when Nintendo fails that fiscal sales prediction. Nintendo in panic mode usually fixes their shit, sometimes that is. It'll just mean that people that already own Wii U's will get more games out of it. The way i see it, they are doing more experimentation in the backside of things and more on the 3DS, they need to transition that into the Wii U. Their whole 3rd Party collabs are a good idea but it just comes off as odd, like Yoshi in Sonic and Hyrule Warriors. Fire Emblem X SMT is neat, what they should do is fill the void with Platinum and let them Develop Star Fox. They like 3rd Party projects dont they? They would be perfect.
  • Jackonomics2.0 - December 18, 2013 2 p.m.

" A franchise that just about anyone that isn't Jim Sterling is completely sick of at this point." You talking about Mario Kart? Wasn't Ol' Jim Chubba Lubba renowned for "Gives Mario Kart 7 a 5 because it's still the same, gives MW3 a 9"
  • BladedFalcon - December 18, 2013 2:14 p.m.

Yeah, the same! XD And just like with Call of Duty, he's pretty much the only high profile reviewer that gives Dynasty warrior games a high score every single time :P
  • Jackonomics2.0 - December 18, 2013 3:20 p.m.

Well to be fair, there are people that still like it, I still think it's garbage and should just die, but they exist. In my position, I still love and play Call Of Duty, despite how much garbage people like to give it. I think it's having a standard of how to judge said games. Like that lawyer game that yells a lot that I cant remember. It's the same shit but the different story makes or breaks the game.
  • rainn'sgaydar - December 18, 2013 7:06 a.m.

If I have a cartoon crush on any Mario character, it's Rosalina, so I'm glad to see her showing up in spin-offs more
  • Redeater - December 18, 2013 1:03 p.m.

It's strange isn't it? I'm usually never one to have "cartoon crushes" but Rosalina clicks with me for some reason.
  • rainn'sgaydar - December 18, 2013 2:06 p.m.

Yeah I can't place it. I mean really she strongly resembles Peach as it is. But maybe it's the bangs? I got nothin
  • waddledee385 - December 16, 2013 5:29 a.m.

GIVE US A NEW CHARACTER!!! PLEASE!