• Frieza - January 31, 2014 7:53 a.m.

Lucario? The character that rewards you for being bad at the game? How disappointing. This could mean two things: 1. Mewtwo will not be returning. Lucario replaced Mewtwo in Brawl, and considering Lucario has a Mega Evolution he may fill the spot for "Pokemon with Mega as Final Smash" spot in the roster. 2. SSB will yet again be aimed towards more casual players. This is a quite a shame since the faster playstyle of Melee was what really made the game for me and many other players. Brawl was much too floaty and slow to give my friends and I the same feeling of intensity that we got from Melee. I don't mean to be all doom and gloom over one character, but I really want this game to be better than Brawl.
  • UberPyro64 - January 31, 2014 8:34 a.m.

It means neither. It just means Sakurai knows fans hate cuts so he's making sure there are none.
  • Frieza - January 31, 2014 11:16 a.m.

That didn't stop him from cutting characters from Brawl.
  • shawksta - January 31, 2014 12:08 p.m.

I think "replaced" is better words. Frankly there hasnt been a character, or better to say, moveset that was entirely cut. In some form or another they returned, Mewtwo being the only case as he and Lucario have different moves entirely but their B moves are pretty similar and are altered. it frankly makes things more interesting to to think how possibly cut characters from new smash will be brought in a newcomer, more specifically Snake's moveset.
  • shawksta - January 31, 2014 8:48 a.m.

You do know Sakurai has been constantly updating with Balancing in the game. De said that he put an emphasis on Lucario's Aura ability, thats his playstyle which more or less, like it or hate it, is unique. If were talking balance here, Lucario will most likely be seriously nerfed until he gets damaged. Your also wrong with number 2. Sakurai already openly admitted that Brawl was aimed more to bring newcomers (as can see by the fact that the game started development without him) but the new smash bros is meant to bring the balance of Brawl and Melee. So far the game's already faster than Brawl and that was just E3. You need to relax because everyones is unnessessarily eyeballing Smash too much over their Melee Fiasco. Tripping's been confirmed removed since E3, that shouldve already been a good indication.
  • Frieza - January 31, 2014 11:14 a.m.

But there are better ways to go about balancing Lucario's ability. The whole "you get stronger as you take damage" idea is really unappealing in both casual and competitive play, at least to me. It feels more like a crutch than an interesting playstyle. And besides, there are better ways of going about the aura ability. Maybe Lucario can get stronger as he hits the opponent, which encourages chain attacks and skillful dodging. The balance of "Brawl and Melee" can still mean the game is aimed more towards casual gamers. Like I said in another reply, Melee had a healthy balance of casual and competitive gameplay. It was simple enough for anyone to jump in and have a good time, but also had enough features in the gameplay to appeal to people who want a more competitive experience. And like you said, Brawl was aimed towards beginners (which is incredibly stupid, since Melee wasn't hard to get into at all). So if you average them out... Well, let's just say I'm not getting my hopes too high for this game. I'm not saying it will be bad, but not really what I wanted. And the removal of tripping isn't really a sign of anything. We can all agree that tripping was the worst part of Brawl, and that its inclusion was an amazingly stupid idea. It was a no brainer that it needed to be removed, so I wouldn't say its a sign that the game will be amazing. But I will say I'm happy it's gone.
  • shawksta - January 31, 2014 12:02 p.m.

Lucario's ability is more or less the concept of a Risk/Reward character, sure there are better ways to balance it but thats the type of character he is. Maybe we'll see some changes. We'll have to wait and see. You cant really expect a full on copy and paste of Melee, it has its problems, small compared to Brawl's massive ones, but nonetheless it has. In my personal opinion, Brawl, despite its floatiness, had better air control and your recovery moves were useful. I think Sakurai's plan to make each game flow differently, taking Brawl and Melee's different physics and incorporating them together to make an entirely different beast. I cant get back to Melee without feeling too heavy, even for a small character like Pichu, the same can be said for Melee players going to Brawl and feeling too floaty. I think the intention for new smash is for a balance that both playerbases can ease into and transition well. Frankly i find the new spin on the Edge grabbing really interesting for competitive play.
  • NintendoDragon - February 2, 2014 2:57 a.m.

The games already been confirmed as faster than brawl. Also Mewtwo was supposed to be in Brawl they just did not have enough time to put him into the game, so the possibility of him being in is extremely high.
  • codystovall - January 31, 2014 7:34 a.m.

Meh...so last gen
  • shawksta - January 31, 2014 8:49 a.m.

To be fair, Gen 5 and 6 did a poor job actually establishing another important Pokemon like Lucario and the only reason he returned is because of his Risk/Reward system.
  • GameManiac - January 31, 2014 9:33 a.m.

When Gen 4 was officially confirmed, Lucario was one of the very first Pokémon revealed for it. When Gen 5 was revealed, Zoroark was the first Pokémon revealed for it. When Gen 6 was revealed, Chespin, Fennekin, and Froakie were revealed for it. The most likely Pokémon newcomer would be Zoroark. It bodes an interesting movepool if the development team takes advantage of its ("her" in the Pokémon Movie 13) attributes. And if they officially add Zoroark as a newcomer, as well as bring Mewtwo back alongside the confirmed Lucario, and even throw in a screenshot of the three of them beating the hyperbolic crap out of each other, I will shit bricks.
  • NintendoDragon - February 2, 2014 3:18 a.m.

I would love that to happen. My theory is that we might see a pretty decent increase in Pokemon characters this time around. The way it went with the additions in brawl was adding the most important Pokemon from the series aka Pickachu, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard. They are the single most important. Pickachu because he is like the mascot of the entire series. The evolution's of the other three are the most iconic starters of any Pokemon generation. Jigglypuff I have to say has to stay because of her being in all games so far and how easy she is to program in to the game. Mewtwo was supposed to be in brawl, so I know he will return. Lucario I'm happy he is back because he was the only Pokemon which represented a different generation from generation 1 My theory is all of the generation 1 pokemon will return. Aka Pickachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, and Pokemon Trainer. If they decide to take it in one direction however the only one that will most likely stay is Charizard because he is much more popular than the other two even though I'd love to see Blastoise and obviously I love Charizard. Lucario is representing generation 5, so far we have Generation 1 and 5 represented. So my theory is we will see either more pokemon trainers join the battle to represent generation two three five and six or we will see generation two and three represented. Possibly generation five with the amount of request for Zoroark, who knows Sakurai does look at character request to see who has the best chance to be in aka sonic. I however am hoping for the pokemon trainer thing to be utilized a little more in the next game because it can add an amazing amount of variety to the game and having the option to choose which one to go into the battle as would also be very fun to do. I just hope there are at least 10 reps from Pokemon this number is very, very high for the character roster but Pokemon has an immense amount of characters. Btw Pokemon trainer counts as three characters to the roster, which means if they do go the same route in my theory then there will be more than 10 characters representing Pokemon. If they were to add One more pokemon trainer, which would most likely be generation two or generation three Pokemon trainer then adding all the ones that were in brawl plus mewtwo and one more character adds up to exactly 10 Pokemon representatives.
  • NintendoDragon - February 2, 2014 3:19 a.m.

Also sorry that was a long comment lol
  • codystovall - January 31, 2014 1:56 p.m.

Greninja Hawlucha Gourgeist Delphox Victini Zoroark Reuniclus Druddigon Golett Keldeo Would all be very interesting, more interesting than lucario and it doesnt have to be new Couldve been mewtwo, gengar, blaziken for all I care with their new megas, wouldve been better.
  • shawksta - January 31, 2014 3:10 p.m.

I didnt say there werent better pokemon in general, all you listed are all better Lucario.
  • BladedFalcon - January 31, 2014 6:29 a.m.

Bleh, Lucario again? Seriously? /Team Hawlucha
  • J-Fid - January 31, 2014 8:55 a.m.

Where do I sign up for Team Hawlucha? Also, I'm starting Team Greninja right here. Who's joining me?
  • BladedFalcon - January 31, 2014 10:22 a.m.

I do as well! Those two alongside Talonflame are my favorite pokemon of VI gen by far!
  • shawksta - January 31, 2014 9:01 a.m.

Yeah.Hawlucha wouldve been much more interesting than Lucario XD Who knows maybe we'll have a gen 6 newcomer and if not, Hawlucha can be a kickass Assist Trophy.
  • shawksta - January 31, 2014 9:02 a.m.

*Pokeball not Assist Trophy Assist Trophys are basically a Non-Pokemon Version of Pokeballs
  • Vonter - January 31, 2014 9:39 a.m.

Blaziken is still better :p
  • BladedFalcon - January 31, 2014 10:25 a.m.

Blaziken's not bad, but he's an oversized chicken, not a Hawk. Hawks are inherently cooler :P 'sides, Blaziken's uniqueness has been greatly diminished by being one of THREE fire starters that are ridiculously similar and also share the same typing. And while his stats may be better than hawlucha, fire/fighting is not nearly as cool a combo as flying/fighting is. Lastly... Hawlucha knows how to do flying presses, Blaziken doesn't. Point, set,match. :P