• Travia220 - January 30, 2012 5:51 p.m.

Publishers need to stop beating around the bush and finally just drop the bomb on the used game market. Enforce CDkey Checks or start restricting REAL content with Online Passes. This little baiting tactic isn't going to change much.
  • chriszewski - January 30, 2012 6:55 p.m.

The issue isn't about used games, its about making money. Kurt S pretty much said that in his quotes. If used games were such a pestilence to publishers, we wouldn't see exclusive deals for preorder content at game stores that sell and make most of their money, in used games. Pubs want you to buy their games day 1, plain and simple. Or at the very least, at an early point in the game's release. These Pubs are in the business of making money, period. Making money as quickly as possible to keep their stock high. What would you expect from an industry where budgets on projects are in the tens of millions and you have multiple projects on different burners. This is why you don't see sequels to games that don't sell well and tons of sequels and spinoffs for sucsessful ones. And this isn't just an EA thing...
  • DevonOO7 - January 30, 2012 5:27 p.m.

I didn't know SSX was made by EA. Not buying it anymore.
  • MasterBhater - January 30, 2012 5:42 p.m.

It's made by EA Sports, yes, but why you wouldn't buy it because of that just boggles my mind
  • blue-heelerky - January 30, 2012 5:21 p.m.

Probably is Curt Schilling is that I CAN wait for your game and WILL. Keep trying though, the demo for Amalur was fun, but not spectacular. The camera was also too close to the action and made the game feel claustrophobic. I'll buy it when it goes 50% off on Steam.
  • blue-heelerky - January 30, 2012 5:21 p.m.

(edit) Probably = Problem
  • cokelogic - January 30, 2012 9:24 p.m.

EA must ask themselves, is withholding content from the gamer who buys their games used really worth $10 pass? I rented Mass Effect 1. I didn't buy it and still have to buy it used. But buy playing it, I bought Mass Effect 2 on day one. And will be buying Mass Effect 3 upon release. My point being, in a world of only new game purchases, EA might not have gotten any of my money.
  • gazzc - January 31, 2012 10:33 a.m.

I believe trying to stop the sale of used games will hurt the game companies more than what they will gain. Your comment is a perfect example of why.
  • lilbuddha - January 30, 2012 5:20 p.m.

And then, in the sequels, you need to pre-order to get the first "DLC" (btw, its not DLC when its there at release day), then the sequel after that you can sign up for the "VIP Club" and get all the "DLC" free with membership! And then, after that, they'll just stop bullshitting you around and tell you straight out, "you have to subscribe to this service to be able to play the game, thx" You have no one else but yourselves to blame, people who buy DLC. Industry is going to shit. has gone to shit. is shit. Movie Industry circa 1990
  • Claymore65 - January 30, 2012 5:17 p.m.

I don't get what the big deal about this is. This isn't really anything new at all. Both Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age (at least 1, I never bought 2). With Mass Effect 2 they had the cerberus network, bringing Zaeed Mansari, the Project Firewalker Missions, and the return to the Old Normandy missions if you bought the game new. Dragon Age came with Shale as well as his mission. Check out today's Penny-Arcade, this is a system EA has implemented. They basically say all new games come with about $10 worth of DLC. It is a positive way to promote buying new games. This isn't ridiculous, its free DLC if you buy the game new and actually pay the developers for making the game as opposed to GameStop.
  • EwoksTasteLikeChicken - January 30, 2012 5:28 p.m.

Yes, but see, with the multitude of games coming out recently, it makes it impossible to buy all these games at full price. So EA will actually be losing money this way, because people like me will wait a while, if ever to actually buy the game "new." Shitty business idea if you ask me.
  • Rubyeslipse - January 30, 2012 6:01 p.m.

That "$10 worth of DLC." was already in the base game by default until EA cherry picked that content and locked it away. I can't think of any games other than ME2 that delivered free content weeks after release so your point or rather Penny Arcade's which you're parroting is moot. Ask yourself this, if EA was really serious with this "used games are killing us" rhetoric why haven't they implemented actual CD-Keys for console games instead of this half measure? I'd rather not get into this but your new game purchase isn't filling the dev's wallet with money.
  • Claymore65 - January 31, 2012 5:32 a.m.

Cd-Keys are more expensive than any kind of DLC to produce and would be a PR nightmare. If a couple quests can already cause a controversy, imagine what would happen if whole games got locked out. I understand that ME2 handled it extremely well, but most of the content so far (I don't own Amalur, so I have no opinion on it) has been supplemental anyway. You don't need Shale to play Dragon Age, it still a complete game, but a small extra isn't ridiculous to ask. And in the end, it will still pay the developers at least more than any used game will. If you can't buy a game, you can always wait for it to get cheaper and buy it later.