Topics

digital sales

• db1331 - November 21, 2013 1:26 p.m.

Stop wishing your console was more like PC, and just get a PC. You can hook it up to your TV and play it with a wireless 360 pad, for fucks sake. People who claim the PC is more expensive are just painfully stupid. Say you are shopping for a new car. You find two you like. Car A costs $18k and gets 26MPG. Car B costs $20k and gets 40MPG. Car A (new console) might be cheaper up front, but Car B (PC) will be cheaper in the long run. So it blows my mind that people will drop $500 on a PC (That's all these new consoles are) that can't even do native 1080p and is unable to be upgraded, but claim a PC that costs $700-$800 (And is more powerful than the consoles) is too expensive. I have saved thousands over the years by not paying a monthly sub for online games, and by buying games for 75% off or more. The other month I got like 6 games for $1. Not $1. $1 combined. AAA games too. Like Dead Space 3 and Burnout: Paradise. Even new games are routinely $20 cheaper on release day on PC. There is no question about it. Console gaming is much, much more expensive.
  • cJinL - November 21, 2013 5:36 p.m.

I never really understood the PC vs Console war. I'm pretty sure it's a given that PC's offer more flexibility and superior presentation. If graphics are all that matter to you, there isn't even a need for argument. But again, as a gamer in general, I don't see how PC is the "better option" when it doesn't even offer half the notable games that come out. I play games for the experience, and with a PC I would only be able to enjoy an extremely small percentage of games.
  • Eightboll812 - November 22, 2013 3:16 p.m.

I'm not sure how you can say that. It's actually the reverse. There are more games on PC that aren't on consoles than there are console exclusives that aren't on PC. And this gen promises to have even less of those. Both consoles are now on x86 architecture, and MS even uses DirectX on the Xbox. So if you were a game maker, it's extremely easy to offer a game on Xbox and PC. Why wouldn't you unless MS was paying you to not release it on PC? Other than Nintendo exclusive games, or Kinect games, almost all others are multiplatform, including the PC.
  • TE5LA - November 30, 2013 7:04 a.m.

Are you mad? There are tons more games available for PC than consoles, namely because most PC games will play on most PC's but console games are platform specific. Also, the new consoles often are not backward-compatible to the previous system.
  • Trixtor - November 21, 2013 6:39 p.m.

I'd argue this point simply because there are far more PC's games worth buyomh and that we also have amazing games like WoW, LoL, and CS:GO. Games that have payment system built into them that allow you to reward good developers with spending as little or as much as you like. (sometimes) Also ye, never buy pre-build computers. Ever. Also it's not about wishing consoles were more like PC's. It's just the future... ? It's the same reason people watch new episodes of Game of Thrones on Netflix rather than buying a stupidly expensive DVD box set. The simple fact is that too many people are making money from physical releases to just make it vanish over night.
  • bobbydigital00 - November 21, 2013 12:37 p.m.

$400-$500 for the box. (Not including taxes, and bs international markups) $49.99 annually for a membership and access to certain features. ($400 potentially, based on gen. length) $60 for an additional controller. $60 for each boxed or digital title. No promise of backwards compatibility for downloadable titles. PC gaming can be much more cost effective but comes with it's own pile of issues. At least the games are cheaper, and with Steam are somewhat future proof and compatible.
  • Trixtor - November 21, 2013 6:40 p.m.

Yeah....... but there are so many games to buy! :( never ends up being cheaper!
  • Marcunio88 - November 21, 2013 9:54 a.m.

I hope you're not making the assumption that distributing a digital copy is free? Sure, it's cheaper than physical distribution, but the cost of maintaining the kind of server infrastructure required to deliver content to an audience of millions is actually pretty damn high. Buuuuuut, having said that, charging £55 is utterly outrageous, especially when you look at the dollar to pound conversion. Why are we paying £10-15 more for our games than last gen while America keeps the same $60 pricing? I'm completely ready to go all digital. I don't want crap lying around my house and I just generally prefer the convenience, but at that price they can shove it right up their... Well, you know. Heck, even if it was the same price as retail has been for the last decade (£40) I'd be fine with that, but if they keep these prices? Nope.
  • bobbydigital00 - November 21, 2013 12:29 p.m.

I came here to make the same points about server costs. Like you, I don't want clutter in my house and prefer digital. But, after seeing that the current systems don't offer backwards compatibility (hurts the most with PSN and XBLA titles I've purchased), I'm going to stick to boxed games that I can re-sell on eBay or Half.com. In the end I pay a fraction of the cost and I get long-term rental so to speak.
  • Firepunch - November 21, 2013 9:04 a.m.

Wasn't one of the reasons people said that we should have Xbox One's DRM policies was because we would get awesome sales and cheap games like on Steam. I guess that wasn't true, eh ( I bet tomorrow Microsoft and Sony will announce a Christmas sale where everything will be 90% off and I will look like a fool)
  • Trixtor - November 21, 2013 6:42 p.m.

Consoles aren't ever gonna be cheaper. As soon as society became okay with buying £50 games, we sealed our own fates.
  • Augimix - November 21, 2013 8:21 a.m.

Why are people complaining about prices of games on a brand new console?
  • TokenGamesRadarFurry - November 21, 2013 8:55 a.m.

Fun fact: There are words under the headline that you can ready.
  • Shnubby - November 21, 2013 8:10 a.m.

Why are games so much more expensive here in the UK than in the US? $60 is about £35 isn't it? Yet we're paying £55 per game! Ridiculous pricing!
  • Sjoeki - November 21, 2013 8:25 a.m.

We are also paying more, in the netherlands we're paying 60 to 70 euro for new games. But at least we don't live in Japan or Australia, those people pay even more!
  • mafyooz - November 21, 2013 12:27 p.m.

I believe it's partly due to the way prices are displayed, in the US sales tax varies from place to place so prices are shown before it's included (although how that works with digital sales I'm not sure), whereas in the UK our frankly ridiculous VAT rate of 20% is always factored in when the price is shown. Even taking that into account though we still do pay over the odds even when compared to other European countries and have generally always done, it's only since the internet gave the general public the ability to easily source stuff from other countries that it's become so apperent to most people.
  • BladedFalcon - November 21, 2013 7:59 a.m.

Pretty much, and this is exactly why everyone got so mad about Microsoft's initial approach to the Xbone. Digital distribution on games has been around for several years now, and yet the vast majority of games there are priced the same as in retail, which is completely ridiculous and unjustified even back then because there is no justification to charge the same price when distribution and manufacturing costs are no longer a factor. So the fact that even jumping into this new batch of consoles, a chance to clean the slate, and create a new first impression, both consoles makers STILL want to charge the same amount for digital games, shows you how little they deserve to be trusted. How are we expected to believe that the Xbone's initial model would truly work like steam, if Microsoft has never even attempted to price games the way steam does? And, I should say, this also applies to Nintendo, who also charges the same for digital as they would in retail. As long as console makers keep thinking they can get away with this, nope, the digital model isn't really going to take off. It took off in PC only because the prices there are way, way cheaper in comparison.
  • JMarsella09 - November 21, 2013 7:41 a.m.

I'm always going to buy physical, even if digital is cheaper. I just prefer owning something that I can hold, and something that will still be mine 30 years from now if the online service gets shut down.
  • hester2 - November 21, 2013 7:20 a.m.

One quick observation regarding the digital prices on PC: as of now, the only multi-platform release I can think of that's selling at the lower price is Need for Speed Rivals. AC4, CoD, and Battlefield 4 are all selling at the same level as consoles, at least at release. (This is in the US, but I imagine the case would be the same elsewhere. I also excluded Fifa and NBA 2K14 since both games have been out for a couple of months.)
  • Manguy17 - November 21, 2013 6:55 a.m.

Pirate's Creed is £48 on amazon. So much for going digital only this gen. If I remember correctly MS said something about being able to lower the prices for digital sales before they backtracked on the drm. I think their excuse was that if every sale for a game sent some money to the devs/publisher then they could afford the lower prices.
  • GR_AndyHartup - November 21, 2013 7:03 a.m.

I'd be hugely surprised if devs or publishers saw significantly more cash from a digital download. It'd be naive to assume that Microsoft or Sony accounted for all the savings vs physical media and said 'Ok, devs, you can have that money'. Even if they did - selling substantially more digital games at a lower price (and lower cut of the profits) would surely be more beneficial to the creators. Devs would get the same cash, more players would be playing their game, and they wouldn't worry about second-hand sales.