• Josh298 - December 6, 2012 3:26 a.m.

eventho i haven't completed far cry 3 yet it is deffo the best shooter this year might even go so far to say its my game of the year if not then max payne 3 the rest aren't nothing special halo 4 isn't all that either
  • MadMan - December 5, 2012 4:09 p.m.

Its Either MP3, FC3, or Halo 4. I have played all of these except Spec Ops.
  • thyho - December 5, 2012 1:49 p.m.

of all these games i didn't played Planet side 2, and Far Cry 3 are easily my choice max payne 3 and halo 4 as runner up's.
  • zombi3grim - December 5, 2012 1:37 p.m.

Far Cry 3. I dont even have it yet, but from what Ive seen of it, it destroys everything else on this list. I have Halo 4 and Borderlands 2 and borrowing Blops 2 from the brother in law. I thought I would never say it, but CoD fatigue just kicked in. Im having more fun with lego lord of the rings then Blops 2....
  • Tyrande - December 5, 2012 11:46 a.m.

already played and finished Spec Ops and Max Payne (they were very entertaining, both with unique stories) but i have to say about Max, worst bodyguard EVER!!!, and spec ops did made me feel like a horrible person. still have to buy borderlands, halo, far cry and for the zombies black ops.
  • winner2 - December 5, 2012 9:40 a.m.

Havn't tried any here, though I suspect come come winter break I'll get to try borderlands, halo, far cry, and cod. Thank god for a game loving dad and brothers.
  • ultimatepunchrod - December 5, 2012 7:29 a.m.

I haven't played any of these unfortunately. I'd like to try Far Cry 3 and Spec Ops as well as Halo 4. A lot of good stuff this year.
  • xx_CaPTiiN_SpAiiN_zz - December 5, 2012 6:33 a.m.

lol at the people who are hating cod as usual... typical and you dont have anything better to do... who are you trying to show your intelligence to its like a 30 year old beating an 8 year old at chess... we all know that activision is annoying for forcing cod to come every year without new thing and it will get good reviews and good scores because a lot of people like to play it and even i like to play it sometimes to get the adrenaline out of my system... please stop jumping on the cod hate bandwagon its getting tedious now
  • bigGRIZZ - December 5, 2012 6:16 a.m.

im surprised ME3 is not on here but glad 2 see borderlands. haven't gotten 2 far cry 3 yet but it looks awesome! i guess my pick would be max payne 3, max's character alone mixed with a his gritty narrative and fast pace action still makes it the best of 2012 to me.
  • StoneDreadnaught - December 4, 2012 11:27 p.m.

Spec Ops: The Line. Just because I want that game to win SOME kind of award.
  • wheresmymonkey - December 5, 2012 2:28 a.m.

Totally agree. Spec ops or Max PAyne 3. the rest although fun games didn't really bring anything all that interesting to the table.
  • sweetchiliheat - December 4, 2012 11:01 p.m.

I'd vote for Far Cry 3 or Halo 4. If I had to choose, it'd be Halo 4. Both games offer great single player experiences and good co-op. But Halo's mp is better than Far Cry, so it gets the edge there.
  • Fuzunga - December 4, 2012 10:59 p.m.

Having not played Far Cry 3, I vote for The Darkness 2, which was not on this list but gets my vote anyway. Definitely the most unique and memorable shooter I played this year.
  • Rub3z - December 4, 2012 9:09 p.m.

Okay, this may seem completely arrogant of me, but I feel I must say this... as arrogant as I may sound in making this statement, keep in mind that I've played most of these games. Really, as far as the term "shooter" is concerned, there is absolutely no contest... Max Payne 3 is the best. Max Payne 3 is the best (3rd-person) shooter of this generation, alongside Vanquish, and all the other shooters on show here simply pale in comparison to its pure shooty glory. Do you see that tagline at the top of the page, underneath "Shooter of the Year Nominees?" It says, "An Education in the Art of Digital Face Perforation." Well, Max Payne 3 is the absolute, the uppermost echelon, the zenith of Digital Face Perforation. It does the Art of Digital Face Perforation so boldly, so majestically, so unabashedly awesome and with such panache and finesse that any other nominee in this contest has simply to bow its head before its greatness, in acknowledgement of its inferiority in the esteemed field of facial tissue removal via high-speed ballistic projectiles. In this field, I'd say Max Payne 3 may very well be THE winner in this console generation, since Vanquish never really featured faces to shoot so much as lots of impractically humanoid robots that technically can't be said to have faces, just glowy parts on what would be analogous to a human head. But if you want to argue, I concede... you're really not in much of a position to argue with me, since, technically, objectively, etc. Max Payne 3 does SHOOTING STUFF (stuff=faces) better than any of these. If you've played Max Payne 3 you know what I mean, and if you haven't played Max Payne 3 what are you doing? Everyone else is starting to feel awkward feeling so sorry for you. So let's say the other contenders weren't competing against this level of shooting game excellency. Then we'd have a debate. Of which I think Borderlands 2 or Halo 4 would be the winner. I haven't played enough of Far Cry 3 to say much about it. I missed Spec Ops (heard it wasn't really doing anything interesting in the shooting department anyway, but kudos for the thought-provoking story elements and stuff like that), and Planetside 2, while a technical marvel of networking and wide-scale gameplay... I don't think it could win such a contest on its unique MMOFPS distinction alone. And I absolutely cannot speak for Blops 2. Then again, it's CoD. Then again again, it actually could be especially awesome with its newfangled doodads and Zombie modes and Pick 10 system and stuff, I don't know. Like, heck, you guys, like... maybe, Blops 2 is like, the best game... like ever. Maybe all I have to do is go to the store this week to get it and play it to be enlightened by its gaming greatness and then realize, "Like OMG, you guys, this is seriously like... the best game ever." Maybe it's like the best game, you guys. Like really ever. Or unicorns exist and pigs took to the sky earlier today and as I type this someone is leaking Half-Life 3 onto the internet. You never know, you guys.
  • winner2 - December 5, 2012 9:30 a.m.

I havn't played max Payne ever, but you just advertised it so well that I think I might pick it up.
  • zombi3grim - December 5, 2012 1:34 p.m.

So I read all that. And Im convinced your a stealth troll.
  • Rub3z - December 5, 2012 9:41 p.m.

"Stealth troll?" Like a sneaky troll? Like, the kind of troll that... you cross over its bridge, and then... it falls down from above to assassinate you? Or maybe this kind of troll is hiding in the bushes next to the bridge with a machete or a rifle, and as soon as you step on his bridge you'll find something in your skull that shouldn't be there. How sneaky is this "stealth troll" in question, exactly? Does it have 1337 stealth camo? Are we talking Solid Snake camo or Captain Price camo?