• J-Fid - June 11, 2013 2:17 p.m.

Wii Fit Trainer... really? I wish, at the least, she didn't look like a mannequin.
  • C.King - June 11, 2013 4:21 p.m.

really? i like it ,it adds to the crazy. i'd be bored with link if he had an outfit change since he has realistic proportions. want distance from a real human in there, unless sakurai, miyamota, or iwata decide they wanna put themselves in. miyamoto could probably have a mix of existing moves from his creations
  • J-Fid - June 11, 2013 4:32 p.m.

I'm not sure I understand your argument. I don't hate the selection, it's just something I never expected to actually happen. Her mannequin like appearance just doesn't make her look very lively...
  • C.King - June 11, 2013 4:45 p.m.

oh sorry i had something in my head i forgot to say, i love it for a little creep factor. the hard to see expression and quick,stiff(ironic), almost spasmic movements, gives me shivers looks real fun cosmetically
  • shawksta - June 11, 2013 1:56 p.m.

The Wii Fit Trainer, just WOW I love how Nintendo basically made the perfect representative for the Wii Series in general this was unique.
  • g1rldraco7 - June 11, 2013 1:45 p.m.

Need to go pre-order this game right away and bu a Wii U 8D
  • C.King - June 11, 2013 4:08 p.m.

i just plan on downloading it so i can have it on me at all times, seriously digging this era now
  • Elgyem - June 11, 2013 1:25 p.m.

Personally, I am hating this game the more I see it. The trailer was cool, but the game looks rather unbalanced and will likely tick a lot of hardcore smashees off (they seemed to have scrapped the collaboration with namco, likely because sakurai is too headstrong to take development suggestions). Smash fans want a sequel to melee, not a sequel to brawl. I am disappointed, guys.
  • shawksta - June 11, 2013 1:54 p.m.

What exactly are you complaining about? The game frankly was faster than Brawl, and Nobody actually noticed the changes till the game CAME OUT
  • Elgyem - June 11, 2013 4:34 p.m.

One of the reasons I was excited about the new smash is because namco was working on it. Nintendo hasn't mentioned namco once. Looking at the gameplay, I just think the movement and jumping appear slow and clunky, which is something I didn't like about brawl.
  • shawksta - June 11, 2013 4:57 p.m.

That wasnt brawl's issue. Brawl's issue was its floatyness, slow and dumb mechanics like Tripping and the removal of some exploits. Give it time, games always change
  • C.King - June 11, 2013 4:58 p.m.

you're right about not showing namco's involvement it seems odd but it's the first day they showed the game to us
  • C.King - June 11, 2013 4:15 p.m.

am i the only one that thinks of smash bros as a guaranteed good time party game? what about pichu was he balanced? i loved using him anyway, man i want him back! don't worry you know it's gonna be a blast. also did you here what he said? the wii u and 3ds versions will have equal number of characters and stages so he just told us he isn't gonna shirk one off for the other they both gonna be great. the different stages got me a little confused since didn't they say the versions could communicate? doesn't this mean that potentially we aren't restricted to 4 players at once? the wii u alone can probably have 5 and maybe more for each 3ds, but that part i don't care about anyway shut up and look forward to it :)
  • Elgyem - June 11, 2013 4:53 p.m.

Don't tell me to shut up. I have just as much of a right to express my opinion on this forum as anyone. And quite frankly, I think that Sakurai is making poor decisions with handling this game. It is very possible to appeal to both the party crowd and the tourney crowd (melee did this very well), but it's importanant to treat them as equally important. Otherwise, Hal is making the same mistake they did with brawl. Just one set of obscene combos, HAL. Show me that and I will be happy with your game.
  • C.King - June 11, 2013 5:16 p.m.

oh sorry when i said "shut up" i didn't mean it literally i was trying to go with "it'll be fine" bleh i suck at writing tone i even included a emoticon which i normally don't do to try and seem playful well failure on my part sorry for unintentionally offending you i'm not sure if an obscene combo fits smash that well. you like being hit repeatedly with the fan and can't move? remember you can grab people out of a block in the game i think they are trying to avoid hopeless situations/ stunlock. plus it's all about knocking them off a platform that alone doesn't make it sound like a typical fighting game. there are still instant kills but nothing that'll make you just stand still and take a beating. also ya know that status when you use the revovery special in the air? isn't that kinda an indicator what kind of game this is. plus the rather weak projectiles that don't really even stop you from approuching. the controls are another thing, each character controls the same but a different moves come out with the same inputs. i don't have to go to the menu and look at a move list if you send your opponent flying with every hit how do you plan on comboing? especially since they'll be sent farther and farther each time and let you trip as you run after them. they could loose tripping or not i don't really care it not like it'll only be my problem
  • Elgyem - June 11, 2013 6:03 p.m.

I did not mean the fan at all. If you want to know what Smash combos are like, look up some the really impressive stuff marth and fox devotees can do in melee and project m. They juggle using throws and utilize the terrain to their advantage to pursue or control their targets. They aren't holding them in place, they're stringing attacks and movements together to control the game As for your comments on shielding, there is usually the option to tech away or punish your foe if they screw up. And even if they don't, melee's shield parry rewarded players for keeping a cool head while under pressure. An incapacitated state after an aerial attack is nothing new to fighters. It happens rather often in games like Umvc3. As for special move commands, I never said anything about changing them. Smash is about twitch reflexes and immediate responses at high levels of play, so an overcomplicated control scheme would be a burden. Smash is a unique fighting game, but it is a fighting game nonetheless. As such, it can benefit from the basic idea that creates a good fighter: intense, edge-of-your-seat gameplay that rewards you for practice and experimentation.
  • C.King - June 11, 2013 6:29 p.m.

this controlling their targets isn't it the same? either way you'll get a casual player looking for fun up against a competitive player and have him simple watch his character become a juggled sand bag, at best only getting the occasional hit in between 13 hit combos. also aren't there an awful lot of bombs in the way for that kind of play? or are we planing on keeping them from dieing and continue to beat on them till they are over 300%(btw wario is really freaking easy to get that high with his super armor while attacking)
  • Elgyem - June 11, 2013 8:02 p.m.

Are you insinuating that you expect any newbie to hold his own against a world champ? I'm sorry, but that is not how fighters work. They are supposed to reward players for dedication and practice, allowing them to pull of flashier and more damaging manuvers through learning the game. Through experience, you learn to adapt and counter certain tactics. Smash combos, are just as much about damage as about setting up the foe for a kill. Fox, Marth, and Project M's Lucario utilize combos not only to get the foes to ko-able damage percentages, but to put them into ko-able positions. This is why falco's chain grab was so good, it allowed for you to quickly and easily put the opponent into a position where they can do very little to avoid being ko'ed. Melee's combos involved juggling the foe towards the edge of the stage through well-timed jumps and grabs. If the combo went wrong, a charcter could easily tech out of it and battle back. Combos in smash are different from combos in Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat. They reward skill and ingenuity by quickly tenderizing foes for the kill, which is a lot more enjoyable and interesting than just throwing attacks around until one person falls of the edge. I respect your opinion as a fellow fan of Smash (which is why I am willing to debate like this with you), but I don't think that Sakurai is making the best design decisions for a franchise adored by party gamers and tournament gamers alike. Then again, games can change. Maybe this will be the sequel melee-lovers have been waiting for all this time.
  • C.King - June 11, 2013 8:55 p.m.

i'm enjoying this debate, you're right there's no way to adhere to both our ideals equally in a single game *skippable here's my point it's the game devs job to make the game great for everyone, if you want to make it competitive you can use the moves and tools to your liking * they make the moves and weapons for everyone, you figure out what to do with them the way you like. it's not their thing to make it possible to create a end all be all combo that'll make your opponent feel hopeless we are going to be playing with each other, how we play is up to us, what stops us is the rules and restrictions set by the developers, they limit how much we screw each other over it's like the blue turtle shell, i know you hate it but it what stops some people from being lapped, gives them a chance. so the winner not already decided before half way through i suppose our views contradict too much i want inconsistency anyone can jump in and have a ball and a chance at victory (the more the merrier)and you want practice paying off every time and the better man wins(king of the mountain). is that a fair portrayal? actually a mountain maybe a good analogy for this the wide foundation of player as they begin and the fewer that try to climb to the top. wouldn't call myself a bad player but i do think i prefer the bottom. who does this game currently appear to be for?
  • Elgyem - June 12, 2013 7:31 p.m.

The fundamentals seem to lean towards the former approach, which seems like a mistake to me because smash already has an equalizeer for the sake of chaotic fun: items. Being able to toggle them on and off allowed melee to appeal to both crowds equally. That is the approach I think the new game should take: using items to allow or both the unpredictable play that you enjoy and the precision that I do. And as for the equalizer idea, that has been implemented in certain games without infuriating players. Street Fighter 4's ultra combos allowed for a player low on health to use a last-ditch attack to possibly turn the tide in their favor. It wasn't random and all-powerful, as there was a way to avoid every single one, but it still gave the losing player a chance to handle a scenario where things are not going well. I'm not saying smash should put this in, I'm just saying that there are better ways to create comebacks than penalizing the player who is doing well.
  • C.King - June 12, 2013 8:08 p.m.

got a notification in my inbox but don't see the comment, but what ever wanted a chance to add something anyway check out the pikmin 3 developer direct at 4:46(maybe a couple seconds off) and at 5:56 it may not be sakura remember it is a nintendo game who aim to give every person a good time (wii would like to play) oh anyway when the games come out we should exchange friend codes and duke it out a different way for fun. ciao now enjoyed the chat
  • Hobogonigal - June 12, 2013 7:05 a.m.

Hi there, I understand what you're saying but please make sure that you don't generalise. I am a smash fan and always have been since N64 and have even played in tourneys but I would rather see a sequel to Brawl rather than Melee. Apart from the obvious things like tripping, Brawl was just a lot more fun to play in my opinion and the technical changes didn't ruin it for competitions. Just remember that you're opinion is not absolute and that there is still time to see any contribution from Namco. We have only just seen a small amount of the overall game, we were only shown a glimpse of it yesterday! :)
  • DragonLord23 - June 11, 2013 1:19 p.m.

Megaman might be my new character. He plays like Fox and Samus, which are my favorites.