Topics

Nintendo

• Odpaterson - June 14, 2011 2:42 p.m.

@Crofto You're right there, but it should be remembered that Sony said it wouldn't be making the same mistake of creating a console with a $600/£400 price point. From that, we can assume that the jump from PS3 to PS4 won't be the same staggering leap as from PS2 to PS3. And as long as 1080p stays as the standard max resolution for next-gen machines, any potential graphical disparity between the PS4, X720 and WiiU will be nothing compared to the monstrous graphical chasm between the current PS3, X360 and Wii. That's assuming Microsoft releases a similarly powered system to Sony next gen.
  • insertdisk - June 14, 2011 2:16 p.m.

I would be dissapointed if it was anything less really. But ofcourse nntendo are notoriously bad for 3rd party suport so who gets to use this outside of Nintendo remains to be seen
  • ParagonT - June 14, 2011 2:16 p.m.

Nintendo's target age group is older adults and children. ALthough many teens have it, most games published are not for the Teen/adult audience. Do I believe they will actually publish more teen/adult oriented games? I highly doubt it. That's not what gave them most of their revenue, that's not what will ever give them most of their revenue.
  • Lionzest7 - June 14, 2011 2:07 p.m.

isn't this article a bit silly based on rumors? Jumping the gun a bit are we on the wiiu hype train?
  • Bantha_Fodder - June 14, 2011 2:02 p.m.

it's looking good so far, the only thing I don't like is the rumors that it only support one controller and 3 Wiimotes. I get it; it'll work GREAT in games like Killer Freaks From Outer Space, but what about games like Aliens Colonial Marines? I mean, it COULD work quite well (guy with the motion-tracker gets the WiiU controller, everyone else gets Wiimotes), but some games aren't exactly built for the Wiimote... and it could encourage a lot of gimmickey "party-mode" multiplayer as opposed to the standard "4 people with 4 controllers" setup. but I guess it should work out okay, so long as you can swap the Wiimotes for Classic Controllers.
  • gbmination - June 14, 2011 1:12 p.m.

I'm really worried about this decision by Nintendo. With such an early release date, it'll give their competition probably enough time to see how they can upgrade their next gen consoles to surpass the Wii U. And what good are better specs when there's no solid game library? I think I speak for the majority when I say that graphics comes second to gameplay. If I'm asked whether I want a newer Wii or an old PS2, I'd still prefer the PS 2 since let's face it, the quality and number of games the PS2 had is miles ahead compared to the Wii. With games still being developed for the Xbox 360 and the PS3, I doubt the Wii U's hardware would be enough to attract 3rd party developers who already have their hands full working on titles for the current gen consoles. Even if they port in some of the better titles, people with common sense won't buy the Wii U if they get a more or less same experience of the game with their Ps3/360/Wii. Until the Wii U gets itself a good amount of quality titles worth remembering and is shown to be able to keep it's footing against Sony and Microsoft's upcoming consoles, I'm not touching it with a 10-foot pole. I just hope that Nintendo doesn't become the next Sega.
  • Darkmessiah24 - June 14, 2011 1:06 p.m.

I find it hard to believe since this is a Nintendo console we're talking about but I do have a bit of faith in this one though but we can't be sure.
  • KaMi - June 14, 2011 1:01 p.m.

My guess is: Yes. The WiiU has a lot more processing power. But all that power is gonna be used for the controller screen. Therefore I don't think the console itself is gonna have much better graphics than those delivered by PS3 or Xbox360. And it does not need them, either. Last thing anyone could want are longer developing times for games.
  • komadose - June 14, 2011 12:54 p.m.

it would definetly help Nintendo to keep core gamers interested if that's true. 50% increase in processing power would make a noticable difference in games. if the devs would actually bother to use it in multiplats, that is. 1080p gaming would be nice, since we already have the screens for it. it actually depends a lot from Sony and Microsoft that how silly Ninty's "next gen" Wii U will ultimately look compared to the competition. it might beat X360 and PS3, but is that enough in the long run...
  • Crofto - June 14, 2011 12:52 p.m.

I'd say it kinda needs to be true for the points you've already made Dave. It needs to be much better than PS3/360 technically, but at the same be also powerful enough to compete with Microsoft's/Sony's next machines, or else it'll be left for dust.
  • TheGhostBox - June 14, 2011 12:52 p.m.

So..? It still needs to show that Nintendo is up to give a more mature audience an experience some action as well...
  • db1331 - June 14, 2011 12:45 p.m.

I don't care how powerful it is. If they don't offer the option to play every game for it 100% gimmick-free, as in no waggle or gyroscope controls, I'm going to pass. And this is coming from a lifelong Nintendo fan. I don't need my Nintendo for graphical prowess. If there's a game where graphics are one of the main draws, that's what my PC is for. Also, when it comes to 3rd party games, does it really matter if the Wii U is more powerful than the Xbox or PS3? It's still just going to get a port of the Xbox version of every game. Do you think the Wii U version of Darksiders 2 or Arkham City is going to get better textures or something? It's not.
  • infernox - June 14, 2011 12:44 p.m.

50% more than the current generations is pretty good. on the other hand, it'll still be quite a bit behind the PC.
  • Pocotron - June 14, 2011 12:43 p.m.

[Citation needed]