• Mattdawarrior - August 29, 2012 6:52 p.m.

Too Human, demo was great. Full game sucked. I then traded it in for Mercenaries 2... Back-to-back sadness.
  • BladedFalcon - August 29, 2012 6:06 p.m.

My biggest disappointment, at least in recent memory, has to be Final Fantasy XIII. I've always liked the series, and while not my favorites, i really did like and enjoy both FFX and FFXII. That, combined with the hype, and that apparent promise of a more ensemble cast akin to the one in FFVI gave me really high hopes for the game. Boy was I wrong. The first hours were alright, but I already had several issues with the extreme linearity, lack of exploration, and automated combat. After ten hours of doing nothing but follow a straight path broken up only by fight after fight, I got pretty annoyed. At 30 hours and upon seeing that not even the story was good, and that the characters were pretty bland, I simply gave up and stopped playing... And i had never done that with a Final Fantasy Game before.
  • Mooshon - August 30, 2012 7:19 a.m.

I'm holding my hand up here too. All of this. I can usually grind away at a game with the best of them but this one nailed me. Whoever thought that forcing you into needless, boring combat every 5 seconds was a good game mechanic needs to take a look at themselves. Weeks of valuable gaming time... wasted.
  • JMarsella09 - August 29, 2012 6 p.m.

Alright, ten years ago I was a huge Matrix nerd, one of those people who thought he was a genius for analyzing every aspect of the movies and telling my friends things that were most likely just flim flam. So then Enter the Matrix came out, and you know what I did, I called it the greatest game of the year, shouting down all my friends who said anything bad about it. Yes, I was one of those. It took me two years and six playthroughs before I finally got out of my stupid phase. My god was that game terrible. The story made no sense, with poor acting, difficulty went from being cakewalk to unbearable, and you could never see anything because the game was so bloody dark. So while I had my fair share of disappointment, Enter the Matrix stands out in my mind for the delay it took for me to get past my denial.
  • Kinara - August 29, 2012 5:26 p.m.

I wasn't really looking forward to Final Fantasy 13-2 at first(after playing and dropping the terrible 10-2), and after seeing a good amount of videos I got really interested in it. It looked nice and I thought they redeemed themselves with it. Yeah, no. The story was terrible, it was WAY too easy, and just the whole story. Yeah, story was said twice because it was that bad. It felt like it took the 13 ending and punted it out the window and inserted a story that was selected after a blind dart throw. Oh, and the ending. TERRIBLE!
  • keltar93 - August 29, 2012 5:02 p.m.

Fallout New Vegas. Admittedly it's not technically a bad game, but most of the additional mechanics didn't add much and the content was overall far less compelling than in Fallout 3, which is still my favorite game of this generation
  • bigwill1221 - August 29, 2012 5:02 p.m.

What game I was really disappointed with after picking it up was Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2. It just felt hallowed out compared to the first one, with a very bland story. The combat was also more face roll.. even on higher difficulties.
  • Yokosuka046 - August 29, 2012 7:15 p.m.

I remember finishing that game, looking at my TV in shock saying to myself "That's it?". I was very bummed out haha. I remember Elston or Reparaz saying it had one of the worst end game boss fights ever and I do sort of agree.
  • Yokosuka046 - August 29, 2012 4:54 p.m.

Dragon's Dogma. I wanted to love that game so much. In the end I lost interest in like 2 weeks.
  • BladedFalcon - August 29, 2012 5:57 p.m.

Funny, I've experienced the exact same opposite regarding that game. Had bought it like 3 months ago, but hadn't really been that interested in playing it, as I had other priorities and the reviews while good in general, weren't stellar. But i finally decided to give it a try this Saturday, and I've loved every single second of it. Different strokes and all of course, but I'm just amused that you had a very contrasting oppinion of the game.
  • Yokosuka046 - August 29, 2012 7:11 p.m.

It's one of those games I'm going to rediscover. I was in the middle of Dark Souls and something else when I bought Dogma, so I had some issues getting into it. There was some issues that myself and a friend also had with the plot/main quest. It kind of vanished. But the combat was amazing, I liked the giant boss monsters, but I could never get into it as much as I wanted.
  • BladedFalcon - August 29, 2012 11:03 p.m.

Heh, a fellow Dark Souls player, eh? well, I can't blame you for forgetting any game if you were into dark souls at the time. That game I love, but it sucked up sooo much time from me... And tears, lots of tears too XD And well, haven't has problems with the main quest so far, although I've kinda put it on hold since I arrived to Gran soren, and I've been dicking around with other quests without even bothering to speak with the duke XD But yeah, it's mainly the combat that grabbed me, that, and just a lot of cool, original details, like some of the status effects, how varied the classes are, and even how the pawns are surprisingly useful. The combat also kinda reminded me of dark souls without being so soul crushingly difficult, and more focused on mob fighting at times. Basically, i think big part of why I like it is because it tries a lot of new, different things, and so far it has succeeded with me. Main quest glitches ruining my experience pending, of course.
  • codystovall - August 29, 2012 4:50 p.m.

Pokemon Black and White was far from terrible. Its story is just as good if not better than the other games but I had a lot of distaste for many of the pokemon in the game from being stupid looking (ice cream cone) to too simple (the elemental monkeys) and especially how unbalanced the starters were. Snivy sucked ass moves and stats wise while tepig is another fire/fight type and stats powers over the others and most of the gyms are weak to him.
  • J-Fid - August 29, 2012 7:38 p.m.

Umm, last time I checked, all three Unova starters sucked. Serperior can't hit, Emboar can't take hits (and is slow as molasses), and Samurott, while cool looking, is way too plain. Also, choosing Tepig will only give you an advantage over two (maybe three if you have Pignite during the second gym) gyms. Just saying. When people complain about the Gen. 5 Pokemon, why do they have to always target Vanilluxe? There are far worse Pokemon out there. Garbador, Druddigon, Kyurem (Normal Forme), etc.
  • Lurkero - August 29, 2012 4:50 p.m.

I was excited for Gears of War 3, but ended up not even finishing the game after I bought it. I am not a fan of shooters, but Gears 2 played like a bunch of connected setpieces that were fun (to me) and exciting. It didn't take itself TOO seriously and I enjoyed the co-op campaign. Gears 3 lacked any kind of excitement for me. It was like walking through a corridor of annoying monsters. The only thing I did like were the monsters that jumped really high from out of the ground. That couldn't save the whole game though.
  • Lurkero - August 29, 2012 4:57 p.m.

For those that reach the section of the podcast: 200,000 is 5% of 4,000,000. So that's what the Ubisoft rep was predicting in terms of sales.
  • rainn'sgaydar - August 29, 2012 3:59 p.m.

Perfect Dark Zero. My uncle had built up Perfect Dark to me, so between that and the launch goggles for 360, imagine my disappointment. Second place goes to Lost Planet. I was also recently disappointed in New Super Mario Bros 2, but I was neither super excited for it nor was it terrible. Just underwhelming.
  • Errrrbo - August 29, 2012 3:19 p.m.

Game I was looking forward to that ended up being awful: Dragon Age 2.
  • n00b - August 29, 2012 3:14 p.m.

Starfox Assault.
  • Tony Wilson - August 29, 2012 2:38 p.m.

Biggest disappointment? Hands down, Naughty Bear. I bought the game full price day one (seriously) because all the pre-release trailers and even the demo painted it as a mix of Assassin's Creed and Conker's Bad Fur Day - killing teddy bears in movie parodies? Hell yes! But then I actually played it, even reviewing it for a website (I gave it a 4/10). It was the most difficult game to separate personal disappointment from objectivity for review that I've ever played. And now there's a downloadable sequel!? Can't fool me twice, 505 Games.