• winner2 - March 15, 2014 10:53 a.m.

I think the majestic manatee is underrepresented in games. It's rough yet tender frame never ceases to evoke wonder and creativity from the darkest depths of the imagination. The gentleness in it's eyes, it's soothing emanation of peace and tranquility, the humble way in which it floats through life spreading love and content wherever it goes, the manatee is truly god's most beautiful creation. Mankind has much to learn from the humble manatee, I believe it deserves far more reverence than we have given to other, far less glorious creatures, nay, beasts, such as the vicious dog or the foul arachnid.
  • universaltofu - March 15, 2014 11:14 a.m.

Reminds me of the Jim Gaffigan bit : You need to get an education and a job. - I live in the ocean. Just so happens you live in the ocean cuz you ain't got no job. - I have a layer of blubber to keep me warm. Whatever sea-cow, talk to my hand.
  • alecbeals - March 16, 2014 1:24 p.m.

But what about the cuttlefish!? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eICyqjtsizo
  • Kijib - March 15, 2014 9:54 a.m.

I demand a studio version of "Alone In the Shark"
  • GR_GregHenninger - March 15, 2014 6 p.m.

RIGHT!?!?!
  • punishment - March 15, 2014 8:43 a.m.

Wasps. I'm terrified of those in real life. Only game I saw that did wasps was Sonic racing transformed. If I was playing Far Cry 3 and suddenly I heard a faint "zzzzz" and it flew by my hud, I'd likely start freaking out. Too real.
  • GOD - March 15, 2014 2:43 a.m.

Hippos. Thanks to Ryan constantly bringing up their weaker DS2 relatives, I've recalled how deadly they are. They'd make such great enemies. Gameplay wise they would be pretty tanky, have a pretty strong charging attack that you'd have to dodge, and be able to thrash around and wreck you. Also bite you in half. Just imagine playing a normal game, seeing a hippo in a pool of water and thinking "Oh that guy looks pretty cool. Never seen a hippo in a game before too. I wonder if I can get some kind of achievement/trophy by petting it?" Then you start to walk towards it as it yaws and... "Oh Shit!" It's charging straight at you and then you get trapped in it's jaw and crushed. Maybe a game like Last of Us but they're are just hippos everywhere? I'd play that.
  • shinkeiDEI - March 15, 2014 12:26 a.m.

Chinchillas, it would be interesting to have a game about chinchillas munching on everything and taking dust baths.
  • BladedFalcon - March 14, 2014 10:18 p.m.

Easy: The Platypus, poor bastards are such a weird joke of nature that not even games in which you hunt strange animals feature them or anything resembling one. Such a shame.
  • EzPzLmnSqz - March 14, 2014 8:59 p.m.

Hmmm. Great question. I think there are loaaaaaaaaaaaaaads of animals we rarely see in video games but if i had to choose just one it would have to be Parrot. As they can speak they would make great companions and they look great. I think Assassins creed 4 should of had one but hey ho.
  • EAC73 - March 14, 2014 7:51 p.m.

I'm gonna have to go with deep sea animals. The deep ocean is filled with crazy looking fish, and would be perfect for some sort of horror game. Imagine yourself as a diver that has to avoid the strange fish with sharp teeth and what not. This can be like Limbo, where everything is black, but there is an angler fish instead of a spider trying to kill you.
  • supergiraffe - March 14, 2014 7:30 p.m.

Last of Us really helped bring attention to the giraffe, but I think gaming can push it further. Giraffe characters in fighting games, comical giraffe guns in shooters, creepy sexualized giraffes in dating sims, and even giraffe break-dancers in the next DDR.
  • GOD - March 15, 2014 2:45 a.m.

If my answer doesn't get picked, I hope at least yours is supported. More giraffes for everyone. Lemme get a giraffe mount in the next Elder Scrolls and ride it across the world. At least that GTA giraffe mod exists.
  • Jackonomics2.0 - March 15, 2014 10:17 a.m.

Wasn't there a giraffe character in One Piece, and appeared in a One Piece fighting game that was severely OP?
  • supergiraffe - March 15, 2014 3:34 p.m.

I know he appears as an assist in a Dynasty Warriors game, don't know about a fighting one.
  • alecbeals - March 16, 2014 1:43 p.m.

Agreed, Giraffes could be so revolutionary in video games. Imagine a Giraffe in Gears of War, THE SIGHT LINE ALONE WOULD MAKE YOU UNSTOPPABLE. I'd to play as a hollow giraffe in dark souls, but only if you can charge forward and turn your own head and neck into a battering ram javalin of fuzzy destruction.
  • universaltofu - March 14, 2014 6:31 p.m.

QOTW : Kangaroos! They can hop around, store things in a pouch, and kick you in the face. The Zelda Oracle games gave me a taste, but I want the whole thing.
  • g1rldraco7 - March 14, 2014 5:19 p.m.

Since everyone here would pick random animals, I say dragons are under represented in video games. First off Dragons breathe fire, they can fly, they have thick scales covering their body, and the one thing people ignore is dragons are impervious to magic and yet in Skyrim you can do serious damage to them with magic spells. As far I know, there aren't many games where you control a dragon, sure you can ride them in Skyrim, Panzer Dragoon and Crimson Dragon, but dammit I want to control a dragon!!!!!!
  • alecbeals - March 16, 2014 1:44 p.m.

I would argue that Dragons are probably one of the most represented mythological creatures, let alone creatures in general in video games. Pretty much any fantasy RTS and RPG has them, I mean shit...Skyrim's main character was the DRAGONBORN.
  • g1rldraco7 - March 16, 2014 4:10 p.m.

I should have clarified that there hasn't been where you control a dragon and just cause major damage to a town or fly down and eat people, but you have a point they are in RPG"S and RTS. Maybe I should have picked Chimeras since you don't see them running around much other than Dragon's Dogma and there was one in the Castlevania series.
  • alecbeals - March 16, 2014 6:26 p.m.

True, there was that shitty PS3 launch game and I believe there is some f2p shitter game on steam as well that lets you control dragons.