• rainn'sgaydar - January 17, 2014 9:59 p.m.

ME3 spoilers! (Are we far enough away that I don't have to give this warning?) My theory is that the Star Child at the end of ME3 is actually a rogue AI from millennia before Shepard's saga. There are a couple of small hints at this in that last, overly long conversation you have with him at the end. Basically, my theory states that Star Child is the holographic representation of an AI that was created to sustain organic life. However, the AI's logic determined that the only way to preserve organic life would be to periodically wipe it out and allow younger organic races to evolve. This is evidenced by Star Child's line about the reapers being its "solution," and then saying that another solution was required since the reapers would clearly no longer work. I'm sure that theory has its holes, but there are enough nuggets of information in that last conversation of the game that it seems plausible.
  • Tren_Frost - January 18, 2014 9:29 p.m.

Actually...that's not a theory. That's fact. It was explained the Leviathon DLC and the Extended Ending. Both put together directly state that Star Child was an AI built by an ancient alien race to help protect them from inorganic threats. The AI determined that the only way to protect inorganic life from the inevitable destruction from inorganic beings was to prevent the wars from happening in the first place. The AI built the Reapers according to the design of the ancient race, using their organic DNA with inorganic machinery. The AI defeated the threatening inorganic race, and then turned on the organics after the war was over. Once completed, the AI sent the Reapers to the edge of the galaxy to wait on the next cycle. The 30,000 year cycle is how long the AI determined it takes organic life to create an inorganic race capable of rising up and destroying all organic life. In Shepard's cycle, that threat would have arisen from the Geth. However, the Geth inexplicably decided instead to remove themselves from organic contact. However, the fact that the Geth were not a threat to organic life did not prevent the cycle from occurring again; they or another race might still rise up and start a war. So the cycle continued. The AI eventually determines that the solution it had created to prevent the annihilation of organic life was no longer working: information on the Reapers were passing through to each cycle and eventually organics were able to ably fight against Reapers. The AI admits that it has insufficient data to properly determine a new solution, so it offers Shepard the option to aid his decision. Control (BLUE): Shepard will infuse himself directly with the AI. Imbued with the knowledge of Shepard's memories and emotional capacity, the AI will no longer be run by computation only and instead will carry on managing the Reapers as a tool of defense for organics AND inorganics and not to "preserve through destruction." After the Mass Relays' destruction, they are rebuilt by Shepard-controlled Reapers. Synthesis (GREEN): This was ultimately the AI's goal, to fuse inorganic life with organic life to promote peace. Sure, wars and violence may occur, but a war on the scale caused only by the fight between organics and inorganics can never exist. There is no separation or distinction, so there can be no elimination. After the Mass Relays' destruction, they are rebuilt by a combined force of life forms imbued with the immense knowledge of the Reapers. Destroy (RED): Both Control and Synthesis gave organics a way of surviving or avoiding potential genocide via inorganic beings (something the AI and multiple cycles' history determined to be inevitable). The Control option takes away those defenses. Not only will the Catalyst destroy all the Reapers, it is a weapon incapable of determining what it inorganic life it destroys, meaning that ALL inorganic life is destroyed. The Geth who sided against the Reapers (and possibly helped the Quarians), EDI, and other inorganic life are indiscriminately destroyed. In the ultimate act of selfishness, Shepard chooses to destroy the Reapers at any cost. Innocent inorganic lives are wiped out, and the only sure defense against a future organic/inorganic war is lost. That is why it's the Renegade option. After the Mass Relays' destruction, the combined efforts of the newly united galaxy rebuild them. So not sure if you're just incredibly good at guessing, or simply a troll, but this isn't a theory.
  • rainn'sgaydar - January 18, 2014 9:53 p.m.

I suppose I guessed well then. I played Leviathan once, but I figured that much out prior to playing it. I try to pay extreme attention to every word when I'm in dramatic points of games whose story I'm invested in. And I guess I forgot that Leviathan confirmed all of that because I didn't recall that being told (though I'm not doubting that it was). I probably just didn't accept Leviathan's story as important enough to pay close attention, even though it sounds like I probably should have.
  • Tren_Frost - January 18, 2014 10:06 p.m.

It's alright man. LOTS of people didn't pay attention to hardly anything in regards to the ending, which explains much of the unhappiness about it.
  • rainn'sgaydar - January 18, 2014 10:13 p.m.

I can certainly agree with that. The only legitimate complaint I've seen is how similar the three choices' cut scenes are for the end game, but as you've described, the endings are still quite different. Count me among those satisfied with ME3.
  • Tren_Frost - January 18, 2014 10:28 p.m.

I was disappointed in the endings' similarities, but considering how they're essential for any hope of an actual sequel to ME3 to exist, I'm satisfied with them. I mean, the only reason BioWare would make all three endings virtually the same is if all three endings had enough common ground that another game could exist an still accommodate all three endings. This way BioWare wouldn't have to pick a "canon" ending for their sequel and they only need to change a few dialogue options and textures depending on what a person chose. That's why I believe ME4 will NOT be a prequel. Too much effort went into setting up a sequel.
  • rainn'sgaydar - January 18, 2014 10:36 p.m.

Isn't there a huge difference in the aftermath of Destroy vs Control/Sythesis?
  • supergiraffe - January 17, 2014 9:07 p.m.

So, Greg was right in saying that the crew acted as if the two act structure wasn't uncommon, especially since they're obviously trying to draw comparisons to another medium that doesn't usually use the two act structure for major plays. That said, he was wrong in saying that people claimed the two act play was the most common. I'm also pretty sure that two-act plays are mostly performed by smaller indie groups, so it may have been intentional.
  • GR_GregHenninger - January 17, 2014 11:24 p.m.

I actually said that 3 act plays were to most common, I said 2 act plays existed, not that they were the most common.
  • supergiraffe - January 18, 2014 4:15 a.m.

Fuck. Sorry.
  • wadesmit - January 18, 2014 12:17 p.m.

The Greg-bullying in this episode was uncomfortable and unnecessary.
  • GenderBender_9000 - January 20, 2014 9:34 a.m.

The other guys are just jealous of Greg's good looks.
  • wadesmit - January 21, 2014 5:12 a.m.

And his mansions.
  • g1rldraco7 - January 17, 2014 8:58 p.m.

My game theory is that in Twilight Princess, you know he learns those finishing moves from the gold wolf? Well the gold wolf is actually Link from Ocarina of Time teaching the Twilight Princess Link these moves. Big hint is that the castle in the background has the exact same design as Hyrule Castle in Ocarina of Time. I know this won't be mentioned, but I remember sending this to Lorenzo because I wanted to hear his opinion of it, but there was no response :(
  • Jackonomics2.0 - January 17, 2014 8:47 p.m.

I don't even play kingdom hearts, and know its pronounces with a Sh, not Z
  • codystovall - January 17, 2014 8:47 p.m.

Pokemon are actually thought forms created by the imagination of children and teens, explains why as most people in that world age, they further themselves from pokemon and dont care and why professors would need children to explore and seek out new pokmon. Explains evolution, and the bond and training of them. Why theres no problem battling with them or them fainting, and why its easy to recharge them. Pokeballs are designed to capture the imaginative essence.
  • universaltofu - January 17, 2014 8:22 p.m.

I've thought for some time that both Mario and Zelda have been on similarly mixed up trajectories in how they have transitioned from generation to generation. A theory in THREE ACTS act 1 Nes - they both came in, birthed from pretty much opposite philosophies (linearity < -- > exploration) as I've seen stated somewhere whatever ideas they believed didn't fit with one, they repurposed for the other. Both had weird follow ups, Mario being quicker to action got 3 out while Zelda doesn't have a matching move. Snes - both refined and exemplary additions to their respective series. N64 - both nail the transition to 3d, Mario being the perfect introduction to the analog stick, and Zelda giving us z-targeting. Mario has no follow up yet, while Majora's Mask is a perfect compliment to Ocarina. act 2 GCN - Here's the big misstep. and where I believe history should retroactively change to reflect the right game at the right time. Both Sunshine and Windwaker while being great titles, do not fit on the cube. After the spaceworld demo, Twilight Princess was the game that should have come out (and eventually did, but only technically as it was a Wii launch title). Galaxy, while being a great Wii title, could have simply been a cube game, the waggle and motion parts weren't essential and had they made Galaxy the follow up (here's where you're mind is blown) ... Think of the progression, after Mario 64, to go directly to Galaxy, and then when the Wii comes out, and it's party games, and colorful fun, Sunshine is a perfect fit, Yoshi returns after a two game absence rather than appearing and disappearing, and if they then followed it up with Galaxy 2 giving players a space-break before an even bigger helping of planet hopping Yoshi having action. Back to Zelda, you have Twilight Princess be the cube title, then on the Wii you do Wind Waker, the fun, summery, colorful title, the Wiimote being a perfect fit for the titular wand, and then you follow that up with Skyward Sword and you a more logical progression of cel-da back to back rather than flop-flipping between styles. act 3 Mario 3d World and Link between Worlds recently came out and have respectively garnered praise as 'best in a while' titles, I don't disagree with the sentiment, though I wonder if that's due in part to both series simultaneously taking erroneous left turns when all they had to do was drive straight.
  • EAC73 - January 17, 2014 6:35 p.m.

My favorite theory is probably known by many, but it has to be in the first generation Pokemon games, where you kill your rivals Raticate. After you battle your rival on the ship you find him at pokemon tower, where all pokemon are buried, but he doesn't have his Raticate with him when you battle there. This is just the tip of the dark and creepy pokemon iceberg too.
  • ZeroPotential - January 17, 2014 5:55 p.m.

Wish I had a decent theory to answer in the QOTW but all I have is not so much a correction but a confirmation. Tetsuya Nomura actually confirmed the whole dual Keyblade thing in some random guidebook that never came out of Japan so it's not so much theory but fact that Sora gains the ability to dual-wield after he absorbs Roxas into himself who only gained that ability after absorbing Xion (pronounced Shee-on so okay there's a correction there) into himself. No need for speculation then. Fun KH fact: Thanks to the PSP prequel Birth By Sleep, Sora has two more Keyblade wielders in himself, Ventus (who looks like Roxas but dopier) and Vanitas (who looks like Sora but evil). Other fun KH fact: In KH II Final Mix, incoming in KH 2.5, you can fight Roxas and steal his Keyblades, letting Sora wield three Keyblades. ....maybe I'll come back with an actual answer to the QOTW later.
  • shawksta - January 17, 2014 7:03 p.m.

Anyone who played 358/2 days would know how to pronounce Xion but others most likely wont so good insight there.
  • GOD - January 17, 2014 9:53 p.m.

Wield three keyblades... wut? O.o
  • shawksta - January 17, 2014 5:44 p.m.

Really fresh this time even including Nintendo's situation? Nice.
  • Sinosaur - January 17, 2014 5:30 p.m.

My video game theory is that GamesRadar is the best video game website on the Internet /pandering
  • universaltofu - January 17, 2014 8:24 p.m.

Gamesradar is like gravity baby, issa LAW son.