• wadesmit - January 11, 2014 2:23 p.m.

Also, QotW: Destiny. Because of the fact that I'm moving, I'd like an immersive and vibrant world to slide into in the afternoons and forget my homesickness. Also it will make waiting for The Division a lot easier...
  • wadesmit - January 11, 2014 2:20 p.m.

So, I don't often share my feelings online at midnight, but during the discussion about Playstation Now, I got very sad reminiscing about physical ownership of games. I mean real physical ownership. Even PC game discs are often just embryos of the full game with a CD to download and install it. I'm beginning to severely miss the foregone simplicity of gaming, during which the game disc was the entire game, the booklet/manual was a sacred text, and the case was a beautiful harbinger of digital composite art. And now? Digital service solutions have led us to attain easier access to old games, obscure games, and being "out-of-stock" is no longer an issue, and provides more options to play these games - but we don't own any of it, console machines aside. We can't revisit old games without a subscription, or /look/ at the games we play in their physical format. I know what I'm saying is retreading very old ground as this narrative has been thrown around before, but it's all only now made me feel anything about it. Hey, maybe it has something significant to do with the fact that I'm moving far from home for a long time and have been packing my things, but I like to be able to view the things I like without needing a screen, a registered account, and electricity and internet access.
  • TurkeyOnRye - January 11, 2014 1:46 p.m.

I'm so excited to play games that speak to my nostalgic side. Even though I grew up in the 80's with a healthy serving of NES and arcade games (I LOVE the original Double Dragon), the first game that made me feel like a truly maturing gamer was Gabriel Knight: Sin of the Father. What an epic game with a fully realized world and characters. GK was such an intro to the point and click adventure genre that it made me search out the entire Sierra Online and LucasArts catalogues. It's a shame the sequels were lost in trying to keep up with experimental visual trends instead of delivering solid games. If Jane Jensen can deliver that magic once again in Moebius, then that's what I want next week. Also, I've always thought the NES take on Strider (which was slightly Metroidvania-ish) was more entertaining than the straight forward side-scroller that the arcade and console sequels were. Another game that, if they can find that magic spot between the arcade and the NES adventure, will be so good!
  • Jackonomics2.0 - January 11, 2014 12:57 p.m.

South Park Stick Of Truth, because lets be honest here, we all know its delaying is for nothing and its gonna be a disaster. We might as well have the disaster now instead of waiting through countless delays for the ultimate disappointment.
  • winner2 - January 11, 2014 12:44 p.m.

Witcher 3 or thief for games that have any concrete info on them.
  • Sinosaur - January 11, 2014 9:38 a.m.

Is it okay if I say I want Witcher 3 to come out mostly so I'll hopefully be able to learn more about Cyberpunk 2077? I mean, I did really enjoy Witcher 2, but I can't think of any game scheduled for this year that I'm desperate for. Hell, I'm already playing Starbound, and that's technically getting released in 2014.
  • The_Tingler - January 11, 2014 5:03 a.m.

QOTW: I have to watch what I say because with many of the games I want this year I don't currently have the ideal way to play them, e.g. a new PC or next-gen console! So even if they DID come out tomorrow I wouldn't be able to play them! Kicking all that aside, I have to say The Witcher 3. It's not necessarily my most wanted game this year but when it DOES come out I'll be already up to my neck in games and won't have the time to devote full time to an incredible open-world RPG - whereas right now I have nothing but time and LEGO Marvel Superheroes!
  • shawksta - January 10, 2014 11:36 p.m.

QOTW: As they are the closest and make me really excited to play them, a tie between Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze and Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare. Me and my brother had one hell of a fantastic playthrough of Returns and it was really special to us as out first video game together as kids was Donkey Kong Country. Tropical Freeze keeps looking better everytime it shows itself and we cant wait for it. And Popcap already nailed it themselves about Garden Warfare with the statement "I think the first reaction will be 'What exactly is this' and the second reaction will be 'its so cool i just want to play it" and thats exactly how i felt about it.
  • GOD - January 10, 2014 9:46 p.m.

I would have to say Smash Bros. WiiU because I could easily play that game for an entire year until every other release came out... and then maybe go back those other games when I eventually decide to take a break from smash a year later. I want this game so bad.... I basically check the official site everyday to see the released screen shot and glean any info I can. I played about two and a half hours of Melee today and that still holds up as an amazingly fun and technical game. It's got all the depth to make for endless improvement and all the variation and flare to make it endlessly entertaining. It will be game of the year because it will be all I'll play... and if I'm not playing it I'll be thinking of playing it. Dreaming of it. Lusting after it.
  • universaltofu - January 10, 2014 9:45 p.m.

So many good choices, castlevania, smash, halo, titanfall, Yoshi's new island, south park, any telltale game, dark souls, metal gear, destiny, dragon age, lightning returns, watch dogs, all look great, though I feel octodad would be a solid choice for next week, the sooner I can flop around the house fooling people like I'm chicken boo from animaniacs, the better.
  • rainn'sgaydar - January 10, 2014 9:43 p.m.

I think I would want the Final Fantasy X remakes next week. Sure, other games will probably be better this year, but FFX is a known entity and, by gamesradar's own admission, the second best FF game of all-time (behind FF VI). Combine that with the fact that I have never played FFX, and I'm ready for this one to be out. Plus, if X-2 came out with it, I'd get double the fun, plus get to play a little dress up. And I'm not afraid to admit I can enjoy some game character dress up.
  • Cyberninja - January 10, 2014 9:17 p.m.

I have to say Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem. Its the really hardcore game that I have wanted since they announced it and I know I will be able to sink at least 100 hours into it easy, plus it would be fun going on Miiverse and posting about it before everyone else had access to it, in a word it will be perfect. and if you will say that isn't a 2014 release then I will say the next pokemon game because we all know there will be at least one this year we just don't know what.
  • tyraniton - January 10, 2014 9:16 p.m.

well the only games im looking forward to are infamous second son and kingdom hearts 2.5. infamous is no good since im poor and cant buy a ps4 so that would just be a slap in the face. if 2.5 came out next week id have to wait even longer for kingdom hearts 3 and i just cant do that any more... so i guess id say titanfall because even though i don't care, alot of people will be happy about it and thats pretty cool. oh wait! i can get smash bros on my 3DS! fuck being nice I'm going with that!
  • J-Fid - January 10, 2014 8:47 p.m.

SSB4. If the game came out right now with only what we know to be in the game, it would be enough for me to play it for YEARS.
  • g1rldraco7 - January 10, 2014 8:29 p.m.

Angry Birds and those Minions must be stopped, they are more vile than Iphones. Also Tom Magrino thanks for cheering me up, nice to know someone here at GR likes Metallica, For Whom The Bell Tolls. I don't see how an all digital gaming would be fun. The sales of hard drives would increase because digital games take alot of space. I like to be able to touch my games thank you besides my IQ dropped 20 points hearing an east coast accent. Anyway I want Dragon Age Inquisition to come out already, I've been playing Dragon Age Origins non stop just to finally play Dragon Age 2. I keep redoing my save file because of all the quests in the game.
  • codystovall - January 10, 2014 8:19 p.m.

SUPER! SMAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH! BROTHEEERS! FOR 3DS I have wanted a handheld version of smash bros since the gameboy advanced sp and throughout all the incarnations of ds, and its finally happening and it is so close. Essentially ive wanted every gamecube game I love on 3ds, paper mario was a bit of a let down compared to thousand year door but thisll make up for that. now I just need a pikmin 3ds game
  • supergiraffe - January 10, 2014 8:14 p.m.

I don't expect Broken Age to be my favourite game at the end of the year, but I am the most curious to see how that'll turn out, so I'd bump the release up.
  • Errrrbo - January 10, 2014 7:59 p.m.

"[Digital media] is infinitely better (than physical media)." Is it, Tom? Or is that just your personal preference? Because I'm pretty sure I like being able to sell games I don't like on ebay and get most of my money back, lend games to friends, borrow games from friends, and have the physical copies of games I really like. I have my preferences, and you have yours. People didn't complain about Playstation Now because we understand what it is and what space it's filling: it's an optional service to let people play older games on devices they otherwise might not have. It's not trying to deny all games to you if you don't have a constant internet connection, or greatly restrict what you can do with a disk that you payed full price for, like the Xbox One was. I love Steam for indies and older games, but for modern games, the ability to sell it if I don't like it is important to me. I'm primarily a physical media gamer and I think Playstation Now sounds awesome.
  • supergiraffe - January 10, 2014 8:13 p.m.

Yup. I can't stand the "physical vs digital" debate because people try and apply some objective standard to it. People will consume media however they feel.
  • PlainLikeVanilla - January 10, 2014 6:18 p.m.

Has to be Gravity Rush 2. Gravity Rush was a serious contender for my personal GOTY back in 2012 and is one of two games to justify the vita's existence (the other being persona 4 the golden). The gameplay was unique, the visuals great, and the music even better. Gravity Rush 2 is there chance to improve on an already great foundation and I can't wait for it. Plus my vita needs more games; it is cold without the warm embrace of my hands.