• StrayGator - June 11, 2013 9:54 a.m.

I seem to have a wrong picture of how this works. to enjoy a PS+ free game do i need to be a member the month it is added to the library? and if i cancel my membership and renew later, will i not be able to play it again (for free)?
  • DeanCutty - June 11, 2013 10:22 a.m.

The information in this article - atleast in my experience - is wrong. I got 3 months of +, got Catherine, but my subscription ended before I beat the game. 2 weeks later, I resubbed, and got Catherine back.
  • StunandStab - June 11, 2013 9:51 a.m.

Please check your facts next time before writing an article like this. You don't lose the free games you've accumulated when your PS+ sub runs out, you just can't play them anymore, but if you resubscribe you'll have access to all of them again.
  • GR_JustinTowell - June 11, 2013 12:14 p.m.

As I've stated above, it was from personal experience losing VF5 when my subscription lapsed. But that was a year ago so good to see it's not an issue. Thanks for pointing it out.
  • CplCupcake - June 11, 2013 9:51 a.m.

Might I add a correction to your article? The PS+ membership is only $50/yr. and sometimes the even have a sale where you can get 15 months for that price. (The $50 is current. I'm not sure if they're going to boost it to $60 for PS4 but I haven't heard anything about that.)
  • Cwf2008 - June 11, 2013 10:02 a.m.

$5 a month would mean $60 a year, but since they said it would be less than $5 a month I think you're right about it being only $50 a year. And they probably won't be boosting it
  • ultimatepunchrod - June 11, 2013 9:34 a.m.

I completely agree with this. If Plus lost the free game every month, I'd be upset, but that's not happening.
  • ParagonT - June 11, 2013 9:32 a.m.

It sucks that they are charging, but I see it as what you've described. A mutually beneficial exchange. Microsoft can reel in timed exclusives and the like because they had that extra revenue to throw around. Thus is why I believe this is beneficial to us all because Sony will now have some flow of cash in order to obtain more exclusives, timed deals, and better service. Both of the console's games looked great, Microsoft's more interesting than a few, but the console is always the first point that must be sold. And as many others, I'm not buying it. If you compare the systems beside one another, obviously this isn't such a deal breaker than it seems. If you have never paid for online before, this may sting for a little bit; But if you've been paying Microsoft, then this isn't a bad transition. But remember this, if we all band together and show Microsoft that we will not stand for such blatant disregard of what consumers want, then Sony will receive that message as well. If they also screw up, they better keep in mind that their liable to have the same happen to them, and we can easily find entertainment elsewhere. I can live with a PS4, but they better not mess this up.
  • Tyrlanae - June 11, 2013 9:16 a.m.

Thank you for this article, Justin. Someone really needed to lay out all of the facts and detail how this really is a mutually beneficial service. Support them and they support you with continued discounts and top of the line services without all of the red tape. PS+ really is invaluable for PlayStation fans - I mean this week alone they're giving out XCOM and Saint's Row The Third for free, and that's not even counting all of the other benefits of the service. It basically pays for itself. I think the people griping about having to pay to play multiplayer on PlayStation are just experiencing sour grapes, it's not like they haven't already been paying more for less on Xbox for years.
  • mafyooz - June 11, 2013 10:46 a.m.

I think your right about "sour grapes". Some people are complaining about it because Sony made a statement years ago on the lines that they would never charge people for playing online. Personally I think if you believe ANYTHING from a major corporation as absolute, unalterable truth, your going to be in for a world of butt-hurt further down the line!