• thomas-fitzsimmons - March 21, 2014 8:54 p.m.

All the old cart systems have a big watch battery them so if u don't want play them they don't say charged so u can't save memory backup to them so if u haven't played them in years then I suggest u replace that battery so u don't run into problems just a heads up from a retro gamer
  • Grids - March 21, 2014 8:40 p.m.

One things i can remember with the PSX was trying to find a decently priced Dual Shock, and afterwards Hoping the "used" games you found at the local Hardware Store (because Game Stop didn't exist near me), or Rental Hut were never really tested to make sure they would work. The places wouldn't care if it didn't work since it wasn't something they were Privy to. Oh how about the extremely different box sizes for PC games? Before the standardization to DVD box sizes, you could have a GIANT one all the way down to just the Jeweled cd case. PC gaming in the 90's was a crap shoot. Shareware you had to buy on a disk, sometimes it would be great! sometimes just awful. Either way it was 9.99+ Remember the need for Joysticks? How every simulator has some requirement that could be met by a peripheral. Force Feedback joysticks costing well over 50 bucks, Racing wheels with full setups like a race car for your computer. Heck i think a company made a set of joysticks so you could fly Jet Fighters as if it was real. If we stick to console, N64 requiring an expansion cart. Remember the Game Shark? How on the N64 you had to have specific games to "switch" over to different cheats built in? Upgrading was a mail in? PSX you could hook it up via a printer cable and had to learn how to do it? Lists and Lists and Lists of codes for both Game Shark and Game Genie. Whole books were sold specifically for this, until the internet got better... then it was hundreds of printed pages, and some of those codes corrupted files on the mem-card! PSX and PS2 had a wonderful memory card that had multiple pages IN the card. However unless you actually KNEW about how to switch it over, you suddenly and surprisingly lost ALL your saves. Finding out how to switch it over took a few Yahoo!'s and a Lycos search. For most children in the 80's who liked video games. Remember trying to convince your parents why it would be good for them to buy a new console? right after they just bought you the NES at 300 bucks... Then you also wanted to get the power glove because a movie made it look cool. So many fond memories from the 90's... maybe some might be late 80's to 90's but damn, still good memories. Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure.... yesssss
  • 1stormbringer77 - March 22, 2014 10:19 p.m.

80's?90's? Try 1975! My Dad got "PONG" for me & I loved it for months.Then I was dropping coins into the good old "Asteroids" & "Pac Man". I didn't get a console till the Atari 2600 came out & all my friends had the older ones. But boy oh boy those were the days! I've got just about every console since then except my N64. It got crushed on accident. But I'll still pull out my Nintendo & play "Star Wars",SNES, Sega Genesis, PS1,2,3, XBox-XBox360,etc. & jam for hours.Yeah, the good old days were great, but since technology got better,the graphics intense & the stories getting so deep (AC1,2,BH,R,3 & 4! Mass Effect1,2,3!) I can't help it but play forever till my eyes won't stay open much longer.
  • Eightboll812 - March 21, 2014 5:59 p.m.

Good job. I would love to see similar articles for the 80s and 70s. In fact, I'll offer to help you out with those if you ever decide to do them. Shoot me a PM if you have any interest.
  • GR_RyanTaljonick - March 21, 2014 8:54 p.m.

Buddy, you better expect a PM soon
  • mafyooz - March 22, 2014 12:55 a.m.

If you're taking suggestions, gaming magazines back in the early 80s didn't have games reviews and demos, they had the full game in raw code form for you to type into your system, which could take a couple of hours to input. You could pretty much guarantee that the first time you hit "run" it would fail, leaving you to wade through the lot again looking for either a mistake on your part or even worse, a misprint....
  • Scoob - March 22, 2014 3:04 a.m.

I remember my family's old TRS-80 Colour Computer and having to do that when I was 5 or 6. My mom would always type in the larger programs, but I do the smaller stuff. I used to love taking the code and changing it to make the programs do different things. About the only thing I could write from scratch were simple text programs asking questions and such. To add to that, if you wanted to save the program, it was to a tape drive connected through an audio jack.
  • mafyooz - March 22, 2014 9:04 a.m.

That was another fun one, spending an hour trying to find the exact volume, treble, bass and balance settings on your tape-player that would allow the computer to pick up the data ;)
  • TommmmyGun - March 21, 2014 5:54 p.m.

I remember the days of the zx spectrum. Daley thompson's Olympic challenge absolutely destroyed my keyboard due to me and my brother cramming round the same board and tryin to race each other. The A,S and O,P keys never worked again. Also you could forget even trying the cursor keys.... Lol. Those were the days.
  • ermocrate - March 22, 2014 2:14 p.m.

I remember also a lot of things about Commodore 64, being older than you, thanks god in Italy all the TVs since the 80's had a scart... Gaming was more difficult but we had more social activities to do overall..
  • MidianGTX - March 21, 2014 5:36 p.m.

Having to rely solely on magazines and word of mouth to discover new games.
  • LordZarlon - March 21, 2014 5:31 p.m.

Great article! I was born in 1977 so I know all of these. How's this for pain. I meticulously stored all of my old consoles in totes to keep them safe. The other day I was cleaning up my storage area and decided to look at my N64 stuff. I found that when I put away all four of my rumble packs that I left the batteries in all of them. Ten years ago. Suffice to say that, with all the leaking acid, the packs failed to work when I tested them. Guess I'll have to forget using those again since I have no intention of paying inflated prices for them online.
  • SouthTippBass - March 21, 2014 5:45 p.m.

Sweet Jesus, I have all my old consoles boxed up as well. Better go empty the batteries out of my wave bird and Wii motes. Thanks for the pro tip.
  • GR_RyanTaljonick - March 21, 2014 8:55 p.m.

Infinite sadness
  • sy-gower - March 21, 2014 5:08 p.m.

How about being a European, Australian or New Zealand gamer and having your games run 17% slower with black borders top and bottom and a 'squished' image? And cruddy black-and-white manuals. Speaking about the 'Ordering import games through magazine ads' bit, imagine that you can only get certain titles (e.g. Super Mario RPG) or you want full speed, full-screen games and your only option is the magazine ads - as well as having to pay through the nose to do it.
  • SpadesSlick - March 21, 2014 4:03 p.m.

Screen looking was always a major controversy when I gamed as a kid, and i'm only 22. Don't worry Henry some of us still remember the struggle. It was very real.
  • homestar99 - March 21, 2014 3:24 p.m.

I'd be agreeing with you but I was born in 2000. So I will never know your pain.
  • geoff-porter - March 21, 2014 1:58 p.m.

How about the soul shattering horrors of watching your toddler aged sibling rip the cartridge out of your N64 or SNES while the system was turned on, or realizing that you had accidentally left your system on overnight and it was almost assuredly destroyed beyond repair?
  • daverudden - March 21, 2014 1:24 p.m.

Love the WWE tag team in the first slot. You can't spell High Energy without henereyg! Wait a sec...
  • SouthTippBass - March 21, 2014 1:19 p.m.

Positives of being a gamer in the 90s: Renting out a PC game like Quake 2 or Duke Nukem and installing it. Then realising it will play without needing the disc, happy days :)