• bob-squaredpants - March 23, 2014 2:51 a.m.

I miss the days of coming home from school at 3 and playing final fantasy 7 or resident evil until 10. Also the epic goldeneye matches with friends or the trips to the rental store to browse hundreds of game options...good times...now im lucky to get 1 hour a week with a job, wife and 2 kids....
  • Scoob - March 22, 2014 6:38 p.m.

To add to the arcade thing, maybe a cross 80,90s thing: Playing through the entirety of a brawler like TMNT, Double Dragon, Golden Axe, and whatever, getting to the last guy, dying, and realizing you ran out of quarters to continue. All hope is not lost, however, you have enough cash for more and there is enough of a timer to quickly get more. But then when going to the counter to get more, you run into one of these problems: -The register is out of quarters, so the cashier, who has no sympathy for your situation, has to bust open more and is slow doing so. -The lineup is too damn long. -Some asshole kid smashes on the attack button running down the clock too fast, or simply snipes your spot, finishes the game, and gets the glory. Another one is playing Street Fighter II, only to have the local Street Fighter expert show up, basically ruining your fun of playing more than one match at a time. Seriously. Fuck that guy. Thinking back now, that is probably what the owner of the arcade thought too, because when the SFII king shows up, people left.
  • Sinosaur - March 22, 2014 5:38 p.m.

On memory cards: When I was a kid, my family had an Atari 2600 (that was only brought out rarely) and computers. I always wanted a real game console (2600 doesn't count), but my parents wouldn't buy game stuff for me, so I mostly just played Shareware PC games and the occasional full game I bought. That changed when one Christmas I had gotten enough money to buy myself a Playstation! I was so excited, I went in and picked up my Playstation and a copy of Final Fantasy Tactics from my local Toys R Us and brought it home. Watched the INCREDIBLE introduction and did the first fight and it came to time to save. Okay, let's save. ...No Memory Card? Wait, I have to buy something extra to save?! Needless to say the very next day I got a ride back to Toys R Us to buy storage space. I was so confused about how they could make a video game console and not include save storage as standard.
  • jmcgrotty - March 23, 2014 3:01 p.m.

Ooooh, and then the worst part. You had to play FF Tactics. Your day did just go downhill.
  • jess-boldt - March 22, 2014 4:46 p.m.

I remember a friend and I had rented Mario RPG for Snes. We had to return it on the last leg. He went away to camp so I rushed to re-rent it. The local rental place had two copies. I gritted my teeth and grabbed one, not sure which had our precious data on it. I got home and, nervously, put the game in. That day, a true miracle occurred. I picked the right cartridge. I promptly conquered the game. It was a beautiful day, although my friend was a bit peeved.
  • linkno1 - March 22, 2014 2:24 p.m.

Rumors weren't a 'problem', they were awesome. So many games got hours of extra play and enjoyment just from trying to unlock and see these things you heard about in rumors. Pokemon Red and Blue would have been much shorter games if we didn't spend hours trying to unlock the pokegods and you wouldn't have put as many hours into Mario 64 as you did if somebody hadn't told you that you can unlock Luigi. Were they wasted hours? Yes. Was the time spent fun and mysterious? Damn right it was. And cables? Really? My PS3 has one less cable than older consoles and that's because it has a wireless controller. Actually, it has a charge wire, so it has as exactly as many cables as my Megadrive or N64 had.
  • walter-thetechguy-gates-jr - March 23, 2014 12:49 a.m.

How many wires exactly does your ps3 have? I have played games since 86 starting with with the nes lol.
  • jmcgrotty - March 23, 2014 3:02 p.m.

With cables, I'm sure it was more a case of talking about controllers and multiplayer. Having 3 or 4 cords for controllers was a bitch, and then when you start handing them back and fort and all over the place for others to play, it got to be a tangled mess.
  • sephex - March 22, 2014 1:38 p.m.

I'm with you Henry.
  • Rhymenocerous - March 22, 2014 12:15 p.m.

What about some PS1 games that took the ENTIRE memory card (about 15 "blocks") to save? And that upside-down problem, that was the original PlayStation with the written Power and Open buttons right? Later replaced with the shapes buttons. THEN it was the little PS1.
  • william-petrie - March 22, 2014 10:37 a.m.

Remember all those problems. I also remember going to blockbuster & buying demos.
  • KadajMetal - March 22, 2014 10:32 a.m.

Flipped Playstation I thought I was the only one in that situation ! I'm so happy to see this listed. I used to play a retail copy of Final Fantasy 9 on a modded Playstation (the big one, not a PSone). I still remember clearly watching Bahamut attacking Alexandria and praying for my console to make it to the next save point. Good times !
  • jmcgrotty - March 23, 2014 3:03 p.m.

Shouldn't have modded it.
  • lister-smeg - March 22, 2014 10:10 a.m.

Hey don't forget paying for demos back in the day. I had a PS1 demo disc with MGS on it and played the crap out of it. Gamers have it too easy to know what a game is in so many different ways before they purchase a game. Demos, reviews, streaming playthroughs, back then you either read about it, or in my case whatever my Dad could afford out of the bargain bins at stores like Blockbuster and Hollywood video. Plus what about going to a store to play a demo, I remember playing 007 Goldeneye every time we were at Sam's Club, and others like MediEvil, GTA3, Bionic Commando. Plus the demo stations at places like Fred Meyer where the TV's were several feet above you and having to creek your neck to look at it. Ah how times have changed.
  • avery78 - March 22, 2014 8:09 a.m.

Nice article. I remember all of these. The picture of Owen Hart and Koko B. Ware at the beginning was funny too.
  • vaughanie74 - March 22, 2014 1:25 a.m.

Being told by the mail order companies I'd need a different SNES cartridge converter for just about every NTSC/Japanese game I bought, and then still buying them. I just allowed my son to have all my old consoles and games in his room and NTSC SF2 Turbo is the only game out of 10 or so that will work, I want my money back on those converters!!
  • dbzwalshy - March 22, 2014 12:33 a.m.

I always hated how lots of games in the 90s were never release on PAL systems
  • sy-gower - March 22, 2014 2:56 p.m.

...And some still aren't to this day. Import gaming from NTSC territories is easier these days and for we in PAL regions back then, we were putting up with slower, squashed-screened games. To avoid the bad treatment that we get in PAL regions, I just import everything, including consoles.
  • pl4y4h - March 21, 2014 11:32 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHfMsTvtaCw I'll let my man shaliek handle this one
  • LordZarlon - March 22, 2014 6:46 a.m.

That was totally not worth it.