• BillyBobBoeBananaJoe - March 27, 2014 12:30 p.m.

Cartridge not working & having to blow on it so it can work again. Even though that was total myth... When the GameCube came out & those small discs didn't work, I just reset the camera to its original position & spun the disc a bunch of times & closed the lid & it somehow worked. But here are the actual biggest two problems i had... 1. When discs came out for consoles, they were scratched by the console itself rather than your doing. 2. You could tell when a game isn't gonna work because you can hear the console just give up on spinning the disc, then it freezes, & then you get the dreaded error message, "An error has occured. Press the POWER button to turn off the Nintendo Gamecube and read the instruction booklet for further instructions." Something like that. Now, errors are just the game freezing...
  • seth-macias - March 29, 2014 3:45 a.m.

blowing in them to get them to work isnt a myth. i rember blowing into pretty much any cartridge game i owned becuase they would not work. after i blew in them once or twice they worked perfectly fine. until i tryed to play them again then i had to doit all over again lol
  • MidianGTX - March 29, 2014 12:17 p.m.

That kind of confirmation bias is exactly how it became a myth.
  • seth-macias - March 30, 2014 8:41 p.m.

but its not a myth. because it really happened... i could try to play the game and take it out over and over and over and sometimes it would work. but if i blew in the game it would pretty much always work.
  • Effinae - March 25, 2014 7:39 p.m.

I played it Red.
  • GR_LucasSullivan - March 28, 2014 2:46 p.m.

My brotha!
  • Himitsu - March 24, 2014 10:16 p.m.

Wow. I have a completely different memory of the 90's. I don't know what half of the complaining or stories are about. Maybe bcoz I'm older? I spent a lot of my time moding other ppl's game systems, playing real Japanese releases from nintendo that I compiled on a hard drive for a SNES, and going into state computer labs on Saturdays to take them over with FreeBSD.. Upload commands to the server from a 1.44 hard/floppy disk.. Then playing Rise of the Triad with 6-8 other people. I also remember downloading every emulator possible and test driving them. At nights I was taking my console to friends houses and showcasing my back up disks for my PS1 I had made from my computer. I played my friends' dream casts and we held elimination tournaments for soul caliber. I ALWAYS WON! Apparently people said I was winning bcoz I was repeating the same move over and over. Some one tell me why that's cheating if I know all the moves to every character and just like embarrassing others? Most of my gaming time was taken by my peers to finish a level or beat a game. By the end of the 90's I had given up on PC games. I had gotten tired of building a new computer or upgrading my video card. Everyone of my peers had grown up. I rarely had the problems like crossed cords or scratched anything. I did resurface disks. I was poor. I fixed other peoples' broken stuff, like wiresless controllers. I had memory card problems like the rest of ppl. I guess I spent a lot of time fixing other peoples' things and making lots of new friends. Himitsu
  • KNITEpanda - March 29, 2014 12:37 p.m.

Wow, get a load of this guy. You must be real fun to have at parties huh? It's ok tl;dr anyway. Just read a few things like you suck at fighters. You mid cause you're special. And bragged about playing "real" Japanese titles.
  • Joco84 - March 24, 2014 2:42 a.m.

Hahaha! I love this article! My greatest invention (still wish I sold this idea to MadCatz!) was a screen-look blocker. This was for 2v2 deathmatch. It would consist of a large piece of cardboard (initial prototypes included paper) stuck vertically down the middle of the television screen using selotape (sticky tape). It would be left vs right side of the screen, neither being able to view the enemy. It made for very tense games on Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Turok 2, Turok Rage Wars, Timesplitters and Halo.
  • KNITEpanda - March 29, 2014 12:39 p.m.

Having invented something similar I can tell you right now having gone vertical isn't as successful as building a horizontal one. Easier to manage and place friends compared to everything you needed in your build
  • connorlee - March 23, 2014 10:05 p.m.

I'm only 16 and I remember some of this. My RCA cables or the ports on my TV would always break, forcing me to have my little brother push down on the cables for me to play my TV games. (The games that were pretty much just a controller hooked into a TV with no console (For people too poor to afford a real console)) My neighbor actually had a REAL console, a PS1. Later my other neighbor got a PS2 with Star Wars Battlefront 2 (One of the best games ever). He had a fancy gaming chair, and the cables for it as well as the controller cables were always tangled up. Even later he got an Original Xbox (With its foreign controller and looks) which I disliked at first because it was different and I wasn't allowed to play Halo. I eventually got a GameBoy Advanced SD, which I played to death.
  • kurkosdr - March 23, 2014 3:14 p.m.

The screen of the Gameboy Color always looked crap. Lots of ambient light? You got glare. Dim embient light? You didn't see a thing. The "blind man blessed with the gift of sight" applies to the GameBoy Advance SP too.
  • jmcgrotty - March 23, 2014 2:57 p.m.

Some obvious comments... "but it also meant that the cardboard boxes SNES/N64/Game Boy games came in were treated us disposable from Nintendo." They were disposable. You didn't want to be that kid who kept all their games in their boxes. This just led to eyerolling and non-stop teasing. Never had a problem having to reset controllers on consoles. On PC games, you used to have to set up your controller when you installed a game {"move stick to upper left. Now to lower right"}, but never heard of that on consoles. I always poured over the game listings for sale in the back of magazines, but I didn't know anyone who ever actually ordered an import through them. I call BS.
  • Mr_Highway - March 29, 2014 6:51 p.m.

Hey dude, I find it weird that you (and I suppose your circle of friends for the most part) didn't respect the collector mentality. It was a rarity back then, but I knew a handful of kids who respected their Nintendo game packaging and they weren't disparaged by anyone for this, if anything they were revered for ensuring their S*** was always in working order. As for controller resets, you never had a friend tooling around with a controller before a console was turned on, that just happened to have the stick cranked all the way to one side at the moment of powering up? Consoles recognized this as neutral/center which made for confusion and hilarity for when this happened to the uninitiated. The same guys that tended to look after their game packaging also tended to be the guys that made import orders out of magazines, they also periodically got burned for attempting to be the kid with the games no one else had. I didn't have issues with a number of the annoyances listed either, but that doesn't mean they weren't a thing for many others. Were you perhaps more of a PC gamer in that era?
  • styx1969 - March 23, 2014 12:56 p.m.

Or what about when you got the newest pentium mmx with a 2mb video card with 4 mb of ram along with a copy of FF7 only to discover you needed 16mb of ram and a better graphic card :p minimum requirements rule :)
  • jmcgrotty - March 23, 2014 2:59 p.m.

I remember the first time I ever encountered RAM. I just bought Kings Quest 5, and I didn't have enough RAM. I had no idea why it wouldn't install or run. It never even occurred to me that there was such a thing as minimum requirements {even if they were on the side of the box} or what my system even had.
  • MasterZoen - March 23, 2014 12:30 p.m.

My friends and I were either considerate enough not to screen look, or we made a game out of it. Halo 2 was excellent for this. Pot Shot: assigning a single player as their own team, equipped with a sniper rifle, everone else is the opposite team and are only to look at the snipers screen. Now, last to be killed becomes the new sniper. LOL
  • beardybot - March 23, 2014 11:06 a.m.

You say SaGa Freaking Frontier as if it's a bad game. If this generation had even one SaGa Freaking Frontier I might just consider opting in.
  • MasterZoen - March 23, 2014 12:26 p.m.

I absolutely agree that we need another saga frontier. Not a sequel, but a truly inspired game with an excellent story weaving through the lives of the characters you can CHOOSE to play, rather than be forced to play the same one, over and over, the same way, over and over, and over, again.