• mevildan - April 26, 2012 9:42 a.m.

Come now. The Rage one is a bit unfair. That picture is from a thread called "Texture problem ( see screen )" on the Steam forums, but with the top chopped off. Users in that thread identify it as a Radeon problem. Radeon drivers were a disaster, even after assurances to id devs. Read the article "id Software Releases RAGE Patch, Carmack Curses" on tomshardware.
  • ObliqueZombie - April 26, 2012 8:05 a.m.

Spot on Cundy, I got a good laugh. I just hope this game is as great as I hope it to be.
  • ultimatepunchrod - April 26, 2012 7:38 a.m.

Wow. Amazing points Mr. Cundy. I'm looking forward to Prey 2 quite a lot from previews and footage released so far, so I think I was just happy that the game wasn't cancelled and didn't think too much about the quality standards BS which should have stopped them from releasing Skyrim for PS3 until that lag was fixed.
  • tiemaisis - April 26, 2012 6:29 a.m.

Maybe they've improved their quality standards after Skyrim. Hah.
  • Jbo87 - April 26, 2012 5:14 a.m.

If I was having a stab at the reason for the delay of Prey 2 i'd have to go with Dishonored. I've just watched the trailer and it's basically the same game with a steam punk setting, (free running, jumping off tall buildings, gadgets/time slowing mechanics). As Dishonored is slated for a 2012 release Bethesda wouldn't want the two games competing and so plummed for the game that wasn't a sci-fi FPS, considering that said sci-fi FPS is going to be competing with Halo 4 come Autumn time.
  • Rodpercent - April 26, 2012 4:55 a.m.

Seems like GamesRadar is frustrated at Bethesdas recent games. I think if you dig a litter further you can see the "quality" they're refurring to. Maybe not push out games too quickly will help them achieve the quailty they wish.
  • BladedFalcon - April 26, 2012 7:14 a.m.

It would have been fortunate then, if they had not pushed out Skyrim so quickly... And New vegas. And Fallout 3. And Oblivion >_> Thing is, I don't think Cundy's criticizing the delay, mainly jsut making fun at the hypocrisy behind the "The game needs more time, so we're delaying it" that they are applying now, but have neglected to do so in their past games.
  • ObliqueZombie - April 26, 2012 8:01 a.m.

I don't think they pushed out any of those (save for New Vegas and possibly Fallout 3) so fast. I know they didn't start work on Skyrim THE DAY AFTER Oblivion, but a good three or four years have gone into it, noting when Fallout 3 was released. Not to mention Oblivion came out four years after Morrowind (three after the expansions) and Fallout 3 two years after Oblivion, which is generally the standard game development time. New Vegas was developed by Obsidian studios, and from what I remember, they did nothing more then take the current engine and mod the hell out of it, which is why the game seemed to have came out of no where so fast. ALAS, I agree with both of you. I think Bethesda's "quality assurance" has increased since the Skyrim debacle, yet Cundy was merely (and humorously) pointing out the oxymoron of their decision. ... Wow I typed a lot.
  • BladedFalcon - April 26, 2012 8:30 a.m.

The way I see it though, no matter how much time you've been already developing a game, if it still has bugs, problems and kinks that affect the game-play significantly, then you are STILL releasing the game way too soon.
  • elsnichkum - April 26, 2012 9:34 a.m.

^exactly. That or they're obviously doing something wrong.
  • Redeater - April 26, 2012 4:48 a.m.

I'm going to make a guess that Prey 2 will end up being borderline terrible when all is said and done. I actually loved Prey 1 on my PC and am willing to give this a chance but everything I have seen for this game almost smacks of too many ideas and not enough polish on any of them.
  • gyury - April 26, 2012 4:25 a.m.

I fully agree with you, Matt. Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind was the last great Elder Scrolls game I've played. Oblivion crashed so often it became unplayable and Skyrim is a buggy mess. I've had no problems with Fallout 3, thankfully. Bethesda make great games but need to pay more attention rather than rushing titles out. If you're spending £50 - £60 on a game you expect something a little more polished. Hopefully Prey 2 will be a little better than its stablemates.
  • c-c-c-combo breaker - April 26, 2012 4:07 a.m.

Being honest, we don't really have any developers to compare bethesda to. Correct me if I'm wrong, there aren't too many games like morrowind/oblivion/skyrim. >in before 'hurr kingdoms of amalur/fable herp'
  • ObliqueZombie - April 26, 2012 8:03 a.m.

I agree with you, there's not very many wide-open, nearly limitless free-roaming RPGs out there. Some mimick it (*COUGHCOUGH*KINDOMSOFAMALUR*COUGHCOUGH*), but there really isn't a game out there that does exactly what Bethesda's games do. At least I think so.
  • Malakie - April 26, 2012 3:57 a.m.

This article is right on. Bethesda releases buggy crappy software AND they have no customer support worth a dam. Sure the scale of the games might be big, graphics ok but when the game is unplayable.. no excuse. In fact I would call them out and say there was NO testing at all of a complete product. How could anyone miss the glaring bugs in their last few releases? You would have to be dumb, deaf and blind to miss them.. Since the release of Skyrim I STILL cannot play it due to bugs. The most prevelent is the sound bug.. I have some sounds and not others. They still have the save game loading issue as well.. Personally I will not be buying another Bethesda software product until I see and have proof they have changed things and have started releasing TESTED solid code.
  • Shinn - April 26, 2012 4:16 a.m.

True, I spent an entire evening trying to make Fallout 3 GOTY run on my pc, and eventually figured out that having an Asus utility installed was causing the game to crash on startup, despite the utility not running (or having ever been launched for that matter). Seven weeks later, customer support got back to me with a generic "reinstall" line.
  • Slayer11496 - April 26, 2012 3:31 a.m.

Hopefully, Bethesda just raised their quality standards. Would be a good call, considering the Skyrim PS3 outrage.
  • taokaka - April 26, 2012 3:08 a.m.

That Rage glitch is actually pretty cool, it reminds me of various artists works I learnt about in art class a while back but can't remember their names due to not paying any attention in art class. If I played and that happened for only a short while I'd actually be quite thrilled but if it was persistent then I'd be annoyed. But anyway back to the point, is a gamer not entitled to enjoy the glitches of a game? No says Matt Cundy, their graphics should be normal. However I chose the impossible, I chose a lag free skyrim. When some said it would be impossible to play fallout under the sea I said it would be impossible to play it anywhere else. I don't know why I went all bioshock on you but if I deeply offended anybody then I am truly sorry.
  • Hobogonigal - April 27, 2012 1:14 a.m.

It is the quintessential right of the gamer to play bug-ridden games. Without it we become slaves imprisoned under the laws of the censor. From this point onwards the union for buggy game players commences!
  • ToThe9thPower - April 26, 2012 3:06 a.m.

Their games might not be perfect, but Bethesda is pretty damn good at crafting an amazing overall experience. You can troll them all you want GamesRadar, but they would not of delayed the game for no reason. I bet if you saw the problems you would agree it needed a substantial amount of time to get in better condition. Also, I am pretty sure the Rage comparison is bogus because didn't Carmack reserve the right to keep control over his games?