Topics

Pokemon

• slimjim441 - September 19, 2013 10:09 a.m.

So much insight. I'm pumped. But it leaves me with one question that may go unanswered until Oct. 12th: Are there any major differences between the games besides the obvious handful of version-exclusives?
  • GR_ZachBetka - September 19, 2013 12:50 p.m.

What we heard during the interview is that there will actually be storyline differences between the versions! Mr. Masuda didn't make it seem like they'd be huge, but he did mention them.
  • slimjim441 - September 19, 2013 1:39 p.m.

That's quite the novel idea, but I'd hate for it to go too far to the point where one version would seem unappealing compared to the other for some players. I'm sure it'll be fine, but I can't shake the skepticism. I don't know which version to get now. The only thing I have to go off of is the legendaries, which may not be exclusive anyway. Now I'm just over-complicating things and making myself confused...
  • BladedFalcon - September 19, 2013 3:04 p.m.

Eh, wouldn't worry about it too much. IMO I expect the "storyline" differences to be similar of what we saw with the different teams in... was it Gen III or IV? In which each team had a different goal and the story changed slightly because of it, but ultimately the experience would be largely the same. Either way, I am certain that whatever story difference there is, it won't really affect the core plot or story structure, just perhaps the focus on whatever bogus phylosophical musing pokemon wants to teach children now... For example, according to the devs themselves, Xerneas is supposed to represent eternity, while Yveltal stands for destruction. So I wouldn't be surprised if the story differences dealt with something related to those themes.
  • slimjim441 - September 19, 2013 11:08 p.m.

As long as I don't feel like I'm missing out by not playing the other version, I'm fine.
  • BladedFalcon - September 19, 2013 11:19 p.m.

I don't think you will feel that way ^^
  • slimjim441 - September 19, 2013 11:36 p.m.

I think I'm feeling a bit paranoid because this is the first Pokemon game I'll being going into blind, what with the whole worldwide release and all.
  • BladedFalcon - September 20, 2013 12:08 a.m.

Well, that's a GOOD thing. You get to discover new things while actually playing the game, not before :P
  • slimjim441 - September 20, 2013 2:15 p.m.

True, but I've been so used to knowing almost everything beforehand, allowing myself to have a perfectly educated decision on which version I'd prefer. In the end, I guess it's better that I don't know, but I can't shake this irrational fear of the unknown.
  • wadesmit - September 19, 2013 9:53 a.m.

If this is the kind of article Zach Betka aka The Doctor writes, then I hope he stays a good long while.
  • GR_ZachBetka - September 19, 2013 12:51 p.m.

:D :D :D I'm glad you enjoyed it. And if it means I can keep that nickname I will endeavor to write more like it!
  • BladedFalcon - September 19, 2013 3:05 p.m.

Dr. Betka, huh? I approve :D
  • JarkayColt - September 19, 2013 9:46 a.m.

Interesting stuff. No doubt X and Y will be the greatest Pokémon games yet. Looks like they're throwing everything at it! I like the reasoning behind Horde battles, but I hope they aren't too frequent (also Sky Battles still seem a bit pointless). Also I'm happy that they're trying to streamline the game and speed it up slightly. Always sucked that you didn't get the running shoes by default, also I hope the game runs faster and more smoothly in general. I think gen 3 was the best at that so far; 60 fps made it look so slick, but even at 30 fps X/Y could be grand if they trim all the fat (can the egg hatching animation be almost immediate please?) Also, the "Pokémon obtained" jingle WAS way too long, so I hope that's one of the "sounds" they're talking about.
  • C.King - September 19, 2013 11:10 a.m.

since sky battles are gonna be a bit funkier to trigger i wonder if they'll reward ya with interesting tips or stones. since they speeding up the game are they gonna make hms optional like black & white? it could be a nice excuse to use more flying types and get those cool camera angles, like yvetal's reveal blocking the sun
  • JarkayColt - September 19, 2013 1:41 p.m.

Yeah, I wondered if there would be some sort of 'bonus' for Sky Battles, probably a special item like how certain Trainers dish out items in 5th Gen (or maybe increased reward money or something.) But it just seems too restrictive of a battle condition to me; I'm guessing that the only Pokémon that can participate are Flying types, and Levitating Pokémon, excluding Pokémon holding an Air Balloon, and you'll probably only have one Pokémon like that on your team, if that. Also I feel like they must've got the idea for Sky Battles whilst making the "Brycen Man Strikes Back Harder" movie in PokéStar Studios. XD Also I dunno about optional HMs. I've often wondered if they could possibly do that, for example if they gave you a Surfboard or an Axe as Key Items, but I think the point is that you need to rely on your Pokémon to overcome obstacles. Plus I believe they'd already shown Surf in a trailer, so I reckon HMs are going to work largely the same. They could be implemented as an optional 5th utility move, or, Pokémon could change moves on the fly (outside of battle) from any previous move learnt rather than completely forgetting them, including HMs, but then, I dunno how you could stop people accidentally trading an HM Pokémon and getting stuck if you did it that way.
  • C.King - September 19, 2013 7:16 p.m.

what would be cool is if they scrapped hms and made em like properties instead, i never played pokemon ranger but i think it'd be like that. simply being a water type being a method of transportation, but key items sound cool... but randomly chopping down a tree sounds messed up, kiddos carry axes everywhere. speaking of trees how come we havn't seen a better capture of orroto? he doesn't have a ken sugimori drawing. i didn't think of the trading... i guess you should easily be able to fish for another pokemon or struggle to death and return to a pokemon center if flying isn't a option. wouldn't it be nuts if they bring back the cell phone and let you phone a taxi or rescue boat?
  • shawksta - September 19, 2013 9:31 a.m.

"Medieval RPG" Knew it, its Definitely Knight,Mage and Rogue. And Team Flare DOES revolve on fashionably dressed XD
  • BladedFalcon - September 19, 2013 10:52 a.m.

Heh, yeah, I love how they said "we can’t really tell you what the exact details are" but by saying that it's based on medieval RPGs, they pretty much confirmed that the final evolutions will indeed be mage/knight/Rogueinspired XD Which is AWESOME because that all but confirms that froakie's final form will look like a ninja... as long as it looks like a COOL ninja, it also guarantees I'll pick him, and thus letting me pick charizard guilt-free XD
  • shawksta - September 19, 2013 1:06 p.m.

Ninja Frog is gonna be awesome to look at. Im waiting for all those Quiladen haters to suck it once Glorious Chespin Knight shows up I actually found a neat discussion earlier, the typing is questionable but someone suggested Froaki evo being Fighting, and Chespin's evo being Dark, and considering the name and what Chespin is based on, his fully evolved Knight form could be a homage to Zelda's "Dark Nut" Knights. Its interested but im pretty sure for the most part Froakie's evo will be Dark while Chespin's Evo will be Steel, but hey who knows, we have around 20 days left to find out.
  • BladedFalcon - September 19, 2013 2:08 p.m.

I'd definitely prefer Froakie to be fighting over dark, mainly because Fighting adjusts much better to my style of playing, hard and fast XD That being said, Dark would be useful anyway and I'd prefer it over him being simply just water-type. As for Chespin, I'm definitely curious to see his final form but I'm not at all interested in him. And I don't hate him but one: Grass is one of my least favorite elements, and two, I've never been a fan of the "cute" designs in the pokemon series, which is what Chespin has been leaning towards so far, even his second form looks "cuter" than mid evolutions should look. Lastly... regardless of how he looks and his typing, I bet he's NOT going to excel or even have a decent speed stat... thus erasing him from my priorities :P But yeah, just 20 more days... Can't wait though, and gonna have to hope I get GTA V today soon so I can try and finish the game before Y arrives XD
  • winner2 - September 19, 2013 8:49 a.m.

So warrior chespin, Mage fennekin, and rogue froakie? Froakie it is, that's 99.9999% settled for me. I havn't been this excited for pokemon since R/S/E
  • Shnubby - September 19, 2013 8:31 a.m.

Well just like every generation has a later third title (like yellow for red and blue) I'm pretty certain there will be a Pokemon Z, when you add a Z axis to the already present X and Y you get a 3D representation rather than just 2D... and the games are on 3DS... that was my theory that I was pretty certain made a whole lot of sense!
  • shawksta - September 19, 2013 9:32 a.m.

Whose to say, your most likely right but then again no one saw Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 coming