• colin-knapp - August 18, 2014 2:08 p.m.

Just a note: 'Two-hundred ninety-nine dollars' is actually 5 words :P
  • JMarsella09 - March 5, 2014 12:26 p.m.

Ah Riven... Considering that the Mac version took 5 disks as well, it makes sense that the ps version was the same....
  • garnsr - March 4, 2014 8:09 p.m.

I knew fewer of these than the Microsoft facts, but the title of the article still isn't very good. Hopefully Nintendo has more facts I didn't know, but that seems unlikely. Some interesting stuff, anyway. I've owned several of each Playstation system, except for 4 (so far,) due to hardware malfunction. The first one I've gotten near launch is the PS4.
  • ash-bennett - March 4, 2014 7:58 p.m.

Love this article, makes me wanna go snap up (another) piece of history or even dare I say a PS4! Can remember renting a PS1 n Battle Arena Toshinden from Blockbuster way back then with a whopping £250 deposit! N loved those iconic start ups n think there was a running T-Rex graphics demostraitor, anyone remember???. Question, anyone know of any good android/PS1 emulators???
  • Darkhawk - March 4, 2014 5:07 p.m.

OH MY GOD I NEVER KNEW WHAT ur not e MEANT. Finally, after all these years!
  • BladedFalcon - March 4, 2014 3:28 p.m.

Heh, we also used to flip over our PSOne... But it was mainly because we used to buy pirated copies, and that was one way to have the PlayStation read them *coughs* And hey, I'm sorry, but back then I was a little 8 year old kid that didn't know any better, AND it cost only 1 or 2 dollars at most to get a new game. When all the income you had back then was your lunch money, you didn't get to be picky over what you could play was pirated or an original copy XD
  • macrm32 - March 5, 2014 1:31 a.m.

Same here. I got my PSOne modded the moment I bought it, because at the time income was scarce, and my mom really hated spending money on games. Nowadays, i can buy them at full price every now and again.
  • NuAngel - November 20, 2013 6:37 a.m.

I like that some of the logo revisions appear very close to the Japanese Super Nintendo logo of that era. You can see in those images when they moved away from Nintendo and started considering how they could make "PlayStation" its very own brand.
  • RayPaw - November 13, 2013 3:15 p.m.

That Spider-Man font thing has always bothered me ... it's like zero thought went into it. Hell, why not just set it in Comic Sans or Papyrus! OTOH those PlayStation logo concepts show a lot of thought & experimentation ... and the logo they ended up with is an indisputable classic.
  • zelta38 - November 13, 2013 8:12 a.m.

Thanks for revealing who are Toro and Kuro, I was wondering what was the significance of the free armor plushies in Tokyo Jungle alongside other more recognisable Playstation characters!
  • GOD - November 13, 2013 12:15 a.m.

The reason why Toro hasn't caught on in the US... is because Japan hasn't even tried to use him here. He's a mascot in Japan, yet he doesn't even make a brief, ten second or less, appearance at E3. It's clear they don't even care about an actual US mascot at this point.
  • TPoppaPuff - November 12, 2013 7:02 p.m.

That link about the memory cards brought a chuckle. "...The e-commerce sites of major retailers such as CompUSA and Best Buy. Other online retailers, such as Amazon.com and GameStop..." The idea of CompUSA being a major online retailer and Amazon being of the smaller, also-ran brings a smile to my face. How times have changed.
  • GamesRadarCollanderCooper - November 12, 2013 6:07 p.m.

Holy shit, how did I not know any of this?
  • Britslop - November 12, 2013 4:50 p.m.

That's so weird. My male-stripper name happens to be Hot-Blooded Detective Joe. I do alternate Tuesdays with Cold-Blooded Hoodlum Pete...
  • uno-quepasoporahi - November 12, 2013 4:50 p.m.

It actually worked this time I just got a PSN code from a card and it was legit! If you want one go to http://freepsnforever.com - See more at: http://freepsnforever.com/#sthash.ulHge2m4.dpuf
  • dave-p-dones - November 12, 2013 4:41 p.m.

i remember my first ps1 console way back 1998 with a free game crash bandicoot thats the 1st time i use to play crash bandicoo the official mascot of ps one,And its a new level of gaming from 16 bit consoles to new generation of gaming. I never thought that sony will dominate the video game industry.
  • alexandre-bret - November 12, 2013 3:52 p.m.

PS2 towers boot up is pretty crazy
  • JMarsella09 - November 12, 2013 2:07 p.m.

I remember not owning a memory card for the first few months of my ps2. I just left it on for days. I'm surprised the thing still works. Also, Riven had a ps1 port? Man, I should track that down.
  • FoxdenRacing - November 12, 2013 1:17 p.m.

If you look at the buttons on the controllers, they also neatly reflect numbers. Count the brush strokes needed to make each one, right to left, bottom to top. Some common knowledge up there, but also some great trivia. I didn't know about the trade show one, the Japanese Mascot one, or the FF7 one. But then again, I'm not Japanese, I don't get to go to trade shows, and I really wasn't fond of FF7.