• shawksta - December 17, 2011 5:57 p.m.

Guys, seriously chillax, the most important thing here is that these 5 awesome games got recognition to be GOTY, choosing one out of them isnt easy, all of them are winners equally as they all accomplished something that made them be picked. Besides, its not like whoever doesnt get GOTY is gonna die! Just enjoy this year's awesome games and wait till next year's batch of awesome games!
  • playswithsquirrels - December 17, 2011 7:14 p.m.

Haha. But don't you know in a large majority of gaming culture, only one person can be right? And that one person is the person you see in the mirror. Other than that, you can only be right if you agree with that person. Or sometimes it can be the person who makes the game you love the most, because they made the best game that ever existed, and cannot be wrong. Anyway, people need to chill, but I saw this whole thing coming and just decided to laugh at the ignorant absolutism that consumes so many in this industry.
  • William7695 - December 17, 2011 5:50 p.m.

So that hard-on that you guys have for the portal games continues.
  • closer2192 - December 17, 2011 5:24 p.m.

Not even a mention of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which, IMO, is better than the original (yes, I said it, hate me if you want), and is better than Skyrim OR Portal 2. The perfect blend of RPG and FPS, stealth and action, freedom and direction, customization that, although not ridiculous, is just enough to allow players different styles of play. An intriguing and well written story with fleshed out (if somewhat cliche) characters, that stands on its own but has just enough ties to the original Deus Ex so you know the significance of the events in the game to the overall storyline. What more could you possibly want?
  • xarab4lyfex - December 17, 2011 5:04 p.m.

I'm glad portal won, i never got to finish it, but it was such a great game. I'm just glad it wasn't batman. And I can't really agree with the "familiar formula" for zelda considering it was a much different game from any other zelda, but that's just my opinion.
  • Gahars - December 17, 2011 4:06 p.m.

My two games of the year were Portal 2 and Arkham City, but between them, I think I would give the title to Arkham City by a hair.
  • Randomwordcombination - December 17, 2011 3:43 p.m.

Readers got it right, GR didn't. Portal 2 might have been alright if I paid $15 for it, or if it came free with another game, but it sure as hell wasn't worth the price at which it was released.
  • Popellini - December 17, 2011 3:34 p.m.

I'm surprised UC3 didn't get any love
  • PS3WolfUK - December 17, 2011 2:47 p.m.

Here we are again! Another totaly stupid GOTY awards! All these games are like 1 or 2 months old! With some of the games that have been out such as Dark Soul etc why weren't these up for nominations! Remember this is one set of peoples opinions. Never going to trust these for GOTY ideas! Where is Dead Space 2, AVP, Duke Nukem, Mortal Kombat etc etc! Awful!!!!
  • Ubnoxish - December 17, 2011 3:20 p.m.

AVP? Duke Nukem? Christ, what is wrong with you. I tried my hardest to enjoy the two games that got me into FPSs and Sci-Fi, but it was impossible. AVP was okay, buke Duke was broken garbage that made me and the rest of the internet want to crawl in a hole and die. They gave GotY to Portal 2, a game that came out how long ago? And it IS the game of the year, a game that hardcore gamers and my mom could enjoy. The only people that didnt like Portal 2 were employed by Black Mesa and PAID to not enjoy it. Oh, and PS3 sucks =P
  • PS3WolfUK - December 17, 2011 5:34 p.m.

A lot of hardcore gamers cannot stand Portal 2! A too easy game! Don't get me wrong may have good visuals but certainly not GOTY standard!
  • rancid92 - December 17, 2011 3:22 p.m.

Portal 2 came out in March. That's the third month of the year. I don't think AVP, Duke Nukem, or Mortal Kombat would ever be competitors for game of the year. They just weren't that good. Not bad, mind you. They're just not really the best games of the year. I think GamesRadar made a fine choice.
  • RealTerry - December 17, 2011 3:28 p.m.

Dude, Portal 2 came out the beginning of the year. And all those other games you mentioned were included in the special awards.
  • Fuzunga - December 17, 2011 2:18 p.m.

And here I thought it was going to be Skyrim. Pleasantly surprised.
  • ViolentStCannon - December 17, 2011 2:06 p.m.

Fair enough. Portal 2 is an experience that everyone should have. But "multitude of bugs" in Skyrim? You guys played new Vegas right? Don't fault Bethesda for a few bugs as opposed to Obsidian's well-known background of game breaking code. Fallout 3 has the same issues yes; if not LESS than NV, but really, let's not blow it out of proportion.
  • Hexen255 - December 17, 2011 1:35 p.m.

Skyrim gets perhaps more attention then it deserves from the public, but the portal series sits in a golden throne while the GamesRadar staff kisses it's feet and asks how the can further exalt it. The portal series was fun to play, but Skyrim was slightly more fun to play in my opinion, it was also slightly more fun to play for 60x as long. I kinda sound like a dick, so please forgive me if you can.
  • sjneow - December 17, 2011 12:43 p.m.

Good to see that a game was penalized for it's bugs when considering the game of the year. I think this should be applied to every review
  • D0CCON - December 17, 2011 12:33 p.m.

I was expecting this. Although Skyrim means more to me, I thought that the game that was pretty much equally good but without bugs was going to win.
  • Zeedar - December 17, 2011 12:32 p.m.

I know this whole GOTY thing is subjective so I'm not complaining, or anything, but my game of the year is definitely Skyrim. In fact, think it's one of the best games ever made. It has everything a good game needs, and content that is enough for several games.
  • FOZ - December 17, 2011 11:36 a.m.

I don't understand how gamesradar gave Human Revolution a 10, and then like every other site in existence, completely ignored it when awards came around. It's even more baffling because the same site that called it a "worthy successor" also called the first Deus Ex the "best PC game of all time." At least MW3 wasn't nominated in its place, but the way everyone ignores this game makes no sense.
  • Viklandian - December 17, 2011 1:12 p.m.

True, the nominations seem fairly Autumn-centric... Then again, can't say for sure. Skyward Sword got a 9, so presumably they're using another system of measurement.