Topics

Nintendo

We Recommend

• shawksta - January 19, 2011 11:05 p.m.

@Baron164 The 3DS is a next Gen handheld, with a $250 price at LAUNCH. The wii and Xbox were more expensive at launch and they had price cuts so its normal for the 3DS to be $250. Also your reasoning is dumb, the wii played some nes,Snes,n64 and other old console games. The daily didn't have a virtual console and wii didn't have handheld games, putting a bakehouse virtual console is smart .
  • slowdrum13 - January 19, 2011 11:02 p.m.

hmmm i'll get it when it drops to 150. 250 is nearly the price of an hd home console, and that's just ridiculous. That's like a sports car and a go cart being 100 dollars apart.
  • Vault101 - January 19, 2011 11:01 p.m.

Yeah, i am so buying this.
  • shawksta - January 19, 2011 10:54 p.m.

Awesome facts!I knew it was gonna be $250, most of my DS games are from 2009 and 2010 so I don't need to worry if that's the case. There were breif trailers,then what are you waiting for, PUT THE TRAILERS!
  • nebno6 - January 19, 2011 10:45 p.m.

Since when does 250$ = £230?
  • SirManguydude - January 19, 2011 10:39 p.m.

I have no problem with the 250 dollar price point, being that the 3DS boasts graphics that are one, in glassesless 3D, and two, are on par, or better then Gamecube graphics. That in a handheld is quite amazing, as it is quite the leap from the DS, which could sport launch N64 Graphics at best.
  • BurntToShreds - January 19, 2011 10:10 p.m.

And still no original games being announced. Steel Diver was a tech demo game for the original DS. One friend-code is cool, I'll give them that, but the amount of remade games instead of new ideas puts me off.
  • Xifihas - January 19, 2011 9:58 p.m.

What they mean by 'most' DS games being compatible is that you can't play any games that require special perepherials like Guitar Hero: On Tour as it lacks the GBA slot. If you can play it on a DSi (which also lacks the GBA slot) then you can play it on the 3DS.
  • NESman - January 19, 2011 9:51 p.m.

Some DS games use the GBA port of the DSlite.
  • HumorTumor - January 19, 2011 9:41 p.m.

$250 is not so bad for me. I am excite, hopfully I get to try one at PAX East, so as to see whether it will be worth it.
  • Ilyere - January 19, 2011 9:41 p.m.

I'm a little worried that 'most' games will be backwards compatible. I'm ready to swap my DS Lite, but that is some price tag there.
  • Lionzest7 - January 19, 2011 9:27 p.m.

maybe I missed this article or didn't see it, but david, where is the response to your article about the eyestrain report? This is more important than any of this to me personally.
  • matt588 - January 19, 2011 9:14 p.m.

i'm surprised okamiden wasn't mentioned in this article @don i forgot about pikmin; that game is a must have
  • JLThatshilarious - January 19, 2011 9:13 p.m.

List of launch games here http://ds.ign.com/articles/114/1144845p1.html Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D confirmed as a launch game! YES! There's something here for everyone. ReCaptcha: Gairch purchased Anyone named Gairch buyin' a 3DS?
  • DonNatzi - January 19, 2011 9:03 p.m.

Oh come on, no Pikmin 3 yet?
  • Evilsafetyboy - January 19, 2011 8:58 p.m.

Well, it's a launch system so you get a launch price. $250 sounds about right for the tech involved, especially since the 3D is for the camera capability. Yes, it's more than the Xbox arcade (if you want to count that) and a Wii, but it's a launch. Time will tell if 3D is a recurring fad. I am leery about buying a launch system since, historically, Nintendo then streamlines the system multiple times (remember the DS "brick")? At the very least, if you pre-order and pick-up, you can find a desperate parent who needs to spoil his kid and make a profit, right?
  • infernox - January 19, 2011 8:41 p.m.

not sure why americans are complaining about the $249 price point. the psp and psp go were originally that price. the psp released 5 years ago and if you add in inflation, it would cost about $280 today. when the psp was released, the ps2 was 4 years old and cheaper.
  • Jasman - January 19, 2011 8:23 p.m.

Looks good - if not killer - at the moment. Since there's too many good games coming out, I'm not going to be picking up a launch model, but a truly exceptional 3D game may change my mind.
  • twewy13 - January 19, 2011 8:09 p.m.

this is amazing, i thought it was going to be $300 bucks. still expensive though. the one friend code thing is cool too. when they say "most" ds games, i'm guessing they mean you cant play guitar hero ds on this because it has no GBA slot. which is required for that game
  • revrock - January 19, 2011 7:55 p.m.

Preordered one from Best Buy. $249.99 is not too much as many have pointed out the PSP was the same price at launch... with much less fanfare and launch titles I might add. I remember buying and pretty much having Wipeout as the only "killer app" available at launch.