Topics

Gamescom

• ni9h7andd4v3 - August 16, 2011 1:31 p.m.

That's his Devil Trigger? WTF!? And I thought the black and white was just the environment's natural color...
  • jackthemenace - August 16, 2011 1:26 p.m.

@nl9h- Yeah, the red coat/white hair combo was in the E3 video back in June. It's supposed to be his Devil Trigger form, what with the rest of the colours going black and white as well.
  • ni9h7andd4v3 - August 16, 2011 1:21 p.m.

Everyone pause the video at 0:36. I see white hair and a red trenchcoat.
  • Denrok - August 16, 2011 1:12 p.m.

@richardkish I'm not saying Bayonetta was too easy or anything. It was the fact that all the moves looked the same. It didn't matter whether you were mashing the same button or pulling off some 20 piece combo, everything looked equally flashy. After a while it became cheap and stopped being impressive. To boot, the combat was always so insanely fast-paced that half the time everything was just a blur and you couldn't see the details of what your character was doing. And QTE's. Fuck QTE's. @MeanwhileGuy Agreed.
  • lordgodalming - August 16, 2011 12:57 p.m.

I don't know, the city is just what I'd call "vaguely European," which is similar to Bayonetta, DMC4, and many other games and movies. And besides that, wasn't Hideki Kamiya in charge of DMC and Bayonetta? In that context, the new DMC taking elements from Bayonetta is only sensible. I would also like to echo some of the sentiment here that Bayonetta was WAY too well received for what it was. It was decent fun and kept me coming back until I got the platinum trophy (the PS3 version also wasn't as terrible as everyone said), but great chunks of gameplay, level design, and story were an absolute mess.
  • jackthemenace - August 16, 2011 12:49 p.m.

@Richardkish- Yeah, I see where you're coming from now. I hope Ninja Theory CAN make a DMC as good as Platinum used to :/ @MeanwhileGuy- I know everyone's entitled to his and her own opinion, but... ... Yours is wrong. Bayonetta was (coming from a Teenage boy, but that's besides the point) brilliant! It had all the humour, action and gameplay DMC had, just refined, upscaled, improved, and injected into a fresh new universe
  • MeanwhileGuy - August 16, 2011 12:42 p.m.

Yes Justin, it is bad to emulate games that stole from you, but only because Bayonetta stole everything that DMC had already perfected, and suddenly Bayonetta was the fresh new thing to replace DMC, which was apparently a tired old game in need of a re-boot, even though DMC4 was great and very well received. And for the record, Bayonetta was utter cobblers, lazy character and environment design, and the combat was somehow inferior to the DMC games it stole from, even though it was mostly the same dev team. Add on a shoddy PS3 port and awful controls, and you have a half-baked pile of crap that in no way deserved all the high scores it got.
  • richardkish - August 16, 2011 12:40 p.m.

@Jackthemenace: That's the thing though. Hideki Kamiya is guy behind DMC and Bayonetta. Yes it's very hard to 'steal' your own work in that sense. So Bayonetta didn't really steal from DMC. However, Bayonetta went in a completely different direction to the original DMCs and perfected the genre. This new DmC is emulating Bayonetta to a degree from what I can tell, which doesn't really say much about Capcom. They lost Platinum Games through their own fault and now they want to emulate Bayonetta which is arguably Platinum's greatest work since leaving Capcom. I feel sorry for Ninja Theory really, I remember hearing they wanted to make it like the old games but Capcom said no. Yeah....
  • jackthemenace - August 16, 2011 12:18 p.m.

@RichardKish- I know TLD Didn't work on the more recent DMCs, but my point's still valid- the same team that first created DMC also created Bayonetta, and it's very hard to 'steal' your own work. I don't think the new DmC emulating Bayonetta will be a problem at all, though, seeing as how Bayonetta was bloody brilliant.
  • richardkish - August 16, 2011 12:13 p.m.

@ Jackthemenace: Bayonetta is owned by Platinum Games and Sega, Devil May Cry is owned by Capcom. While the same team did work on Devily May Cry and Bayonetta, the team left Capcom years ago, before DMC4 was released. @The Article: And yes, this reeks of Bayonetta. The whole place does look a lot like Vigrid. And is it me or do a lot of the places look really empty? Huge open spaces with two or three regular enemies in them? Something about that looks wrong to me. @Denrok: Clearly you weren't playing Bayonetta right.
  • system1988 - August 16, 2011 12:05 p.m.

I still have serious objections to this game and its looks. I just hope we will get at least 2 levels with good old white haired Dante and that this whole game is just a flashback of his early days as a demon hunter when he started to undetstand what he was. Hopefully we will get some young Virgil action too!
  • Denrok - August 16, 2011 12:04 p.m.

The music seemed off. But the gameplay looked like classic Devil May Cry. Not that random button smashing shit Bayonetta had.
  • Clovin64 - August 16, 2011 12:04 p.m.

It looks a little like Vigrid, but it also reminds me of the Italian-style town seen at the start of DMC4. I'm definitely starting to look forward to this game after my initial knee-jerk reaction from seeing new Dante. Hope this turns out to be the excelent reboot DMC needs.
  • zzzonked - August 16, 2011 11:52 a.m.

It looks solid as a game, and I'm almost coming round to this new Dante. If they used this character design for anything else i'd have loved it immediately.
  • jackthemenace - August 16, 2011 11:46 a.m.

It's looking like the same old DMC in terms of combat, which I'm fine with, but it's the fact that it appears to be set in a similar sort of location to #2 (which was shit) that's got me worried. I'm starting to wish they'd announced a new Bayonetta instead... Plus, weren't both Bayonetta and the original DMC made my Team Little Devils/Angels? Because, if so, it does feel a little harsh to say Bayonetta "stole' from DMC
  • AngryScotsman - August 16, 2011 11:41 a.m.

This music is far too sensible for my liking.