Topics

FPS shooters

We Recommend

• needles - December 11, 2012 2:08 p.m.

Or that reloding thing when you drop your magazine at half capacity and never waste any bullets. Wait I fucking hate that.
  • StrayGator - December 11, 2012 12:55 p.m.

um, Doom's barrels (the OG exploding ones) were gray. Full of green stuff.
  • BladedFalcon - December 11, 2012 12:47 p.m.

Um... how are any of these good? You guys hit the nail on the head in spotting the indeed most annoying, repetitive shit that has turned the majority of shooter games into samey, similar experiences that have clogged the market. Had you left it at that, the article would have been great, but justifying them only reinforces what's wrong with the narrow-minded, baby mentality of a lot of games that want their experiences completely guided, unchallenged, and thinking-free.
  • TheOddGent - December 11, 2012 5:50 p.m.

How are they good? Because they are what have people find fun, and that is the ultimate point of why we game. Sure, we do have a clogged market full of shovel ware games, but that isn't because of shooter cliches. It's because of licensed games that tie in shows or movies, and casual games. I love MGS and Dark Souls and all those types of games, and I miss good puzzle games, but hating on something that is just mindless fun is about the most stupid thing there is. Fun is fun, it's not hurting anyone. I see no validity in your "better then you" mentality.
  • TheOddGent - December 11, 2012 5:51 p.m.

Ignore the "have" in the first sentence, I hate not being able to re-edit.
  • MetroidPrimeRib - December 11, 2012 9:38 p.m.

Fun is a bad argument.
  • BiscuitWheels - December 12, 2012 5:21 p.m.

Yeah, screw fun. Who plays a game for fun, anyway?
  • MetroidPrimeRib - December 12, 2012 5:37 p.m.

The problem with saying "FUN IS FUN" is that you can apply that logic to anything. It's pretty much the same as not having to have an argument at ALL, because it can be applied to anything the same. I can say NeverDead is fun! I can say Resident Evil 4 is fun! I can say Metal Gear Solid 3 is fun! I can say Chrono Trigger is fun! I can say Operation Raccoon City is fun! I can say BioShock is fun! I can say Rogue Warrior is fun! I can say Monster Hunter is fun! But obviously some of those games are good and some are bad by game design standards, but they're ALL FUNNNNNNNN
  • BladedFalcon - December 11, 2012 10:08 p.m.

Except it's no longer fun when you make essentially the same goddamn game for like 30 times. I loved CoD4: Modern Warfare when it came out, even though it had pretty much every single one of the clichés here, because, yes, it was fun, it was bad-ass, and I had a blast. Same thing with the first Gears of War, but then the sequels came, and they were pretty much the same games with a few tweaks here and there, and then the clones came in, and I'm sorry, mindless fun without actual evolution or challenge can only get me so far before it starts getting repetitive and boring.
  • artcellrox - December 11, 2012 9:37 p.m.

Dude... come on. Red barrels. They've been a staple in FPS games for, like, forever. Yeah, I'm not particularly a fan of the others, but don't be dissing the red barrels. :(
  • jackthemenace - December 11, 2012 12:42 p.m.

Of the lot of them, I hate the on-rails the most. Stuff like Chest high walls and explosive barrels I love, and I even enjoy the turret sections- despite generally being static versions of the on-rail sections- but at least with turrent sections you usually have the option to leave the turret and walk around, rather than being rigidly stuck in place.
  • Bitchslapthehomeless - December 11, 2012 12:41 p.m.

I hate turret sequences in games, more than any other trope in a game.