Topics

FPS shooters

• zachary12505 - May 31, 2014 5:06 p.m.

I prefer 3rd person shooters because they allow better melee attacks/fights, let you see what you look like, and allow better jumping and evasion. They don't even have to be shooters, just 3rd person fighting with realistic weapons. first person shooters can be more realistic at times, but 3rd person is just more fun.
  • deceasedxo - December 12, 2012 7:08 a.m.

I agree about most on rails sections and forced turret combat sections. I also do hate the lack of progress/evolution in the fps genre although I think Far Cry 3 is hands down the fps of the year.
  • JarkayColt - December 12, 2012 4:42 a.m.

Pretty much nailed everything with this one. I can't think of anything else this article missed. These things really do define shooters as we know them, for better or for worse. I do admit I quite enjoy turret sequences but ONLY when you are completely invincible, because, y'know, getting shot to kingdom come kind of spoils the moment. And admittedly, I don't know many games that grant you immunity whilst on the turret, despite being able to magic an unlimited number of bullets. I usually still die. A lot. Also the lone wolf one sometimes actually slightly spoils the believability of a game for me. Something like Uncharted especially. If you seriously think about every single occasion where Drake has had a chance to die, then statistically, he should probably be long dead by now. We only reach the end because we get to retry those awful rope swinging bits.
  • yunan-klaus - December 13, 2012 1:55 a.m.

Ain't that the truth? Yeah,not much games got the immunity part,but there's one game that although in a turret sequence, it can be an annoying sequence as hell (if ain't playing with good) : Black Hawk Down
  • yunan-klaus - December 12, 2012 1:02 a.m.

Lone-wolf Protagonist? Like what Grinch said,"Ain't that the truth?" The whole world feels like a garden of thrills when you know people's life are in your hands
  • Hobogonigal - December 11, 2012 10:19 p.m.

Yep, every shooter seems to follow these cliches. However you say that a knife is a blunt weapon, can't stab anyone with a blunt weapon (or is that why some knives take more than one hit to kill...)
  • JarkayColt - December 12, 2012 4:27 a.m.

I don't think it was alluding to knives per se. That entry was about overpowered melee in general and I figured, after mentioning one-hit knife kills, it was then talking about hitting someone with, say, the butt of a gun, which usually takes two in the games that feature it. But yeah, most games actually don't have one hit knife kills, at least, not from what I've played (e.g, Battlefield).
  • Hobogonigal - December 12, 2012 8:42 a.m.

Actually, makes more sense thinking about it your way :)
  • winner2 - December 11, 2012 10:02 p.m.

How about no matter who you are or what training you have, you can effectively use and reload any weapon ever made?
  • brickman409 - December 11, 2012 8:59 p.m.

I love Fallout 3's take on the red barrel, nuclear powered cars that blow up in a mushroom cloud
  • Viron - December 11, 2012 8:57 p.m.

Like med-kit number-based healing is realistic or challenging, it's the same but at a faster pace.
  • jackthekingsmit - December 11, 2012 7:54 p.m.

My favourite FPS cliche is when you look down, and despite what logic or earlier/later cutscenes in the game may say you realise you do not actually have any legs or feet to speak of and you are actually just floating everywhere you go.
  • nintendo365 - December 11, 2012 8:55 p.m.

Wrong, Halo. Legs. Done.
  • jackthekingsmit - December 12, 2012 9:28 a.m.

Oh yeah sorry I forgot that Halo was the only FPS ever created, my bad.
  • TheOddGent - December 11, 2012 5:52 p.m.

I like regen health. It really does keep the action going in some games. Like, I couldn't do an RPG or even certain types of FPS with them, but they seem ok in Gears or COD.
  • joemonkey - December 11, 2012 5:39 p.m.

What game is picture 8, knifing, from?
  • nintendo365 - December 11, 2012 8:57 p.m.

Black Ops 2's Karma Mission when they invade the Control Core Area, Section surprise attacks a guy and stabs his neck. I've played that mission WAAAAY too many times.
  • bamit11 - December 11, 2012 5:26 p.m.

Battlefield 3 actually takes 3 hits to kill with the knife (Unless it's an assassination).
  • wadesmit - December 11, 2012 4:11 p.m.

Haha, oh sweet Jesus the joy in my heart when I see a red barrel. I almost thought, before I got to the last slide, that red barrels were absent from this. Good job, Mr Veloria. Dem red barrels.
  • MolokoVeck - December 11, 2012 2:09 p.m.

Pretty much sums up Uncharted (though I still love it). Some others: The world is full of guns and ammo, conveniently left on the ground right before you encounter a wave of enemies (I'm looking at you again Uncharted). You are a better shot than everyone else in the world, ally or enemy. Lucky you. You are the only person who has to worry about ammo. While you sit behind a chest-high wall waiting for a moment to leap over and knife your enemy because you ran out of ammo, you soon realize that unlike you, said enemy is not running out of ammo any time soon.