• painstick - June 11, 2013 4:11 p.m.

Micro$oft do indeed look like flailing corporate goons regarding Xbox One, TV box, Kinect required, DRM & used games. Having to buy kinect was always going to add about £100 to the console RRP. It's a crazy decision when not everyone will want to use kinect and many people don't even have the space to use it effectively. Trying to take control of the used game market is just pure greed. Games are expensive. I buy a game, play it and then trade it in for value towards another game. It's a great system that encourages me to buy more games and also helps to keep local gaming retailers in business. The day video game shops fail is the day we all suffer. Xbox One as a live TV system seems aimed primarily at Americans as the $400m rights deal with NFL shows us. I don't find it particularly taxing to switch inputs on my TV. I would find it taxing to find a suitable TV feed to connect to my Xbox. TV features won't work at launch on Xbox One in UK anyway. The idea of M$ dictating that we have to keep the box online all the time is offensive. I've loved gaming on Xbox since my first Xbox 1. I've had several Xbox 360s and stuck with M$ through the RRoD fiasco which claimed a couple of my early Xbox 360s. I've paid my dues for Xbox Live each year (generally get 12 months for about £26) to only play online while PS+ has gained ground and presented us with very high quality games. All this leaves a bitter taste and makes the PS4 look very attractive. If not the PS4 then perhaps the time is right for Stembox to make an appearance. Steam sales / Humble Bundles are superb. Good on Sony for showing M$ for what they are, but even so it may be time to return to PC gaming. Console gaming may have had its day.
  • Bloodstorm - June 11, 2013 3:29 p.m.

I thought Microsoft had a good showing. I thought Sony had a good showing. I'm not on the side of most of the internet (who overreact like mad, and generally make gamers look like bad people). I don't care about their used game policy. Used games are unnecessary, irrelevant, and downright destructive to the gaming ecosystem and needing to connect o the internet once every 24 hours, well, most of you are on the internet so I'm pretty sure you have the internet, so what's the problem? Internet too slow? Have it update at night while you are asleep. The Kinect nonsense is just that. People are paranoid Sony not having those thing, that's fine, don't care because my PS4 will be connected to the internet all the time anyways and I won't be buying used games or lending them so neither of those digs at Microsoft matter to me. I just don't care. I live in 2013, not 1998 when everyone was afraid to give out their real name, their age, or even the country they lived in. I'm excited about both these consoles. I feel Microsoft and Sony both showed their hands well. People who disagree are either 1) fanboys, 2) paranoid, or 3) trolls.
  • Raiden145 - June 11, 2013 3:42 p.m.

4.) you the part of the demograph who thinks everyone is pleased with your fancy words oh you...the poor you
  • Cwf2008 - June 11, 2013 3:49 p.m.

While I personally don't have a problem with the used games policy or the internet connectivity, Microsoft basically shot themselves in the foot when it comes to rural sales or sales in regions that don't have great internet. Believe it or not, there are gamers in those areas that like to play single player games and now won't be able to. Also, the US's internet infrastructure sucks compared to most developed nations, so it's odd that MS would insist so much on this
  • Bloodstorm - June 11, 2013 3:55 p.m.

But those sales are small, and in comparison are a lesser loss than used/pirated games.
  • BottleBank - June 11, 2013 4:31 p.m.

I'm in the same boat as Bloodstorm, i don't realy care about used games or needing to connect once a day. I haven't lent a friend a game in over a decade and i don't buy used games as a rule. Both consoles look great, it will be very interesting to see what happens next. Oh and on a different note, i thought Nintendo's showing today was an embarrassment. They peddle the same games every generation and the fan boys lap it up.
  • mafyooz - June 12, 2013 12:02 a.m.

For years now Nintendo can be summed up with this sentence: "Here's some more Mario, now leave us the fuck alone for a while"
  • bass88 - June 11, 2013 4:36 p.m.

So, "fuck you for not having an internet connection" is an okay mission statement?
  • Bloodstorm - June 11, 2013 5:03 p.m.

Try playing most games on PC without internet. It's a non-issue for me.
  • skratter - June 11, 2013 4:42 p.m.

the problem on that argument is that they will be pirated anyway!
  • The Ledge93 - June 11, 2013 4:04 p.m.

Glad to see the rurals are still being thought of. it gets lonely living 25 minutes from walmart.
  • Bloodstorm - June 11, 2013 4:14 p.m.

My best friend lives 45 minutes from Walmart in the middle of the Ocala woods here in Florida and he plays games online all the time. I find it hard to believe that there are that many people hard pressed for internet and avid enough gamers to make a big impact on the market.
  • semitope - June 11, 2013 4:32 p.m.

You are being really insensitive to the situation of others, but I guess that's just you. Internet problems happen and many don't have the access. The US is not the only country in the world neither is europe the only region in the world, just in case that's what you're thinking. Well it's not a big problem. Those people simply cannot buy the console. BTW a lot of them buy from the US, so US sales figures are due to other countries as well as US citizens. Just in case you think it will not affect sales much, I plan to buy from the US (ps4)
  • Bloodstorm - June 11, 2013 4:55 p.m.

It's requires to connect to the internet ONE TIME every 24 hours.
  • BladedFalcon - June 11, 2013 9:51 p.m.

That can, and WILL be hacked.
  • Bloodstorm - June 12, 2013 6:27 a.m.

And how do you know that? Like they didn't build this with an infrastructure that will combat hackers. Yeah, that's a smart assumption. You realize that, inversely, Sony and PS3 were the single largest security breach in console history but having to connect to the internet everyday mean the Xbox One is going to be hacked. Sony's rocky past ain't stopping me from being excited about the PS4, and there is much more reason to worry about that. You are obviously using the internet, and you could get hacked at ay time. You people are hysterical. Like you PC is so much more secure. It's not. There are countless ways your computer/laptop/phone can be breached and you'd never know it.
  • BladedFalcon - June 12, 2013 6:59 a.m.

Um... You just addressed your own point. Everything CAN be hacked. And the Xbone and it's DRM is no exception. Extra security has never stopped those hellbent in hacking something, and it won't stop them now.
  • Bloodstorm - June 12, 2013 8:08 a.m.

Then why should I worry any more now than any of my other internet connected devices? That's my point. It's a constant threat, like the flu and a heart attack. Nothing I'm going to let dictate my perception just because it can and might happen. Microsoft has been in this business for decades, they're going to do their best to secure their infrastructure. I worry about it getting hacked as much as I worry about Steam getting hacked, or PSN getting hacked, or Paypal getting hacked, and so it isn't an issue, because their isn't anything that screams 'I'm more of a security risk than all other internet devices." All of them have a chance of being hacked. I do my best to secure my local network, and I trust any company that has dabbled in the internet for more than a year to do their best to secure their network on their end, and if something happens to either, we take the proper steps to ensure it doesn't happen again.
  • BottleBank - June 12, 2013 4:35 p.m.

No, *i'm* not being insensitive to the situation of others, i'm just a consumer who isn't reacting with the all-out rage that many others are. I'm not that bothered about this, it's the way the world is going. Both consoles will be great.
  • semitope - June 12, 2013 5:41 p.m.

Doubt most people are reacting with rage. If they didn't have a choice but the xbone then maybe, but they are just giving the xbone the finger right now. It's a dud