• crumbdunky - May 22, 2010 10:12 p.m.

Looking good, no complaints-you get what you see with Gears in the most visual and visceral gaming senses too and the third game looks like more of the same and with an adrenaline rush series that's all you want really-with a few new twists along the way. Can't believe, however, the way Traviss is so happy to come out in public as the person responsible for those scripts is a little puzzling! I certainly feel they're the weak point of the series with schoolboy errors littering the continuity(where did the faux Resi level in Gears2 lead? Nowhere:and even if they expound on it in three it doesn't save the fact that the whole chapter was, plot and script wise totally defunct in moving Gears2 along. All the bro-mance andtestosterone fuelled asides and exchanges also get a little much fallinhg into the realm of near self parody at opints and I REALLY wish they'd take the writing a bit more seriously. Fair enough-the above mentioned episode may happen as a result of late changes in what people in other areas could and couldn't get finished for the release but a little cutscene exposition, anything would be better than apparently forgetting al about it the minute you got out of the razor hail! No, there's a decent mythology going on if they had the writing talenbt to flesh it out a little-a more serious look into the Pendulum Wars in the future could be REALLY impressive and would offer more chances to further the writing beyond linking the action loosely together with, largely, many grunts and swearing. The whole Dom's wife thing was a step in the right KIND of direction but, Christ, was it ever ham fisted! The way-too-sickly-sweet representation of the marriage just sets a low standard which rarely threatens to pick up even when the chance showed it self to put some narrative meat on Dom's ample frame. missed chances-that's the story of Gears writing to me so far. I just pray we get beyond the cut out characters this time round, see something with a little more pathos or things more easy to empathise with if you AREN'T a marine yourself! I know I'm moaning a bit and NO ONE plays Gears for the storytelling but it would be great to have that side developed a bit more wouldn't it? Hoped KT was going to offer a little more insight here than she did as well-oh well. Still looking forwards to more Gears but sometimes I do wish there was a little more to get your brain into even if the action is very much top notch. Great look at the new weapons, creatures and features coming though, GR, good effort. BTW-is it just me or does Cliffy now speak almost entirely in soundbites? Interview fatigue perhaps or just a little too much media training of late? Bless his cotton socks.
  • CombatWombat101 - May 22, 2010 10:04 p.m.

Oh excuse me. I forgot all about Time to Kill being a third person shooter. Anyway, so watching that video, there is no leaning. At all. There is STRAFING; i.e the art of moving side to side. We have that nowadays. It's pretty common. Anyway, as to your whole "predetermined paths" argument... you realize that any game that doesn't have an "open-world" concept has predetermined paths, right? Just because you can jump doesn't mean the path isn't "predetermined." Good job, you jumped up some rocks and went down a different path! You know why the path is there? Because the developers put it there for you to use. I'm honestly baffled by your stupidity. It's like you think that because you can jump, the game is rendering entirely new areas for you on the fly. You fail. Good day.
  • Addjumpgoddamnit - May 22, 2010 9:58 p.m.

NO JUMPING IS TERRIBLE BECAUSE U CANT EVEN FALLDOWN FROM PLACES WHEN WITHOUT SOMETHING BLOCKING UR PATH OTHER THAN INVISIBLE BARRIER LOL. NO JUMPING=SIMPLISTIC CRAP LEVEL DESIGN.
  • Addjumpgoddamnit - May 22, 2010 9:55 p.m.

PLUS WHEN U CANT AIM THE CHAINSAW MANUALLY IT TAKES NO SKILL TO USE IT..HOW IS RUNNING UP TO SOMEONE HOLDING THE A BUTTON FUN? U CAN ONLY CUT IN ONE SPOT DOWN THE MIDDLE..I WANT TO CUT SOMEONE'S LEG'S OFF..THEN CHOP THEIR HEAD OFF..AND LIKE JUST CHOP THE BODIE INTO PIECES WHERE I WANT AFTER THEY DEAD.
  • Addjumpgoddamnit - May 22, 2010 9:50 p.m.

THERE WAS A STAGE IN A BAR OR SOME SHIT IN GEARS 2 AND ALL BECAUSE NO JUMP I COULDNT GET UP THERE TO SHOOT. NO JUMPING RUINS MAKES THE GAME MORE LINEAR HAVING MORE PREDETERMINED PATHS. CLIFFY.B OUT OF ANYONE SHOULD KNOW THIS. WHY THE FUCK U THINK KILLZONE2 HAS JUMPING AND FIRST ONE DIDNT DEV'S REALIZED NO JUMPING SUCKS..U CANT EVEN JUMP OFF THE SIDE OF A STAIRCASE/RAIL OR WHATEVER..MAKES GAMEPLAY CRAPPY. UNCHARTED 2 IS FAR SUPERIOR TO GEARS OF WAR IN GAMEPLAY BEING I OWN PS3/360 AND OWN UNCHARTED 2 AND GEARS 2.
  • Addjumpgoddamnit - May 22, 2010 9:47 p.m.

SINCE WHEN IS DUKE NUKEM TIME TO KILL A FIRST PERSON SHOOTER? IT'S A THIRD PERSON SHOOTER FOR THE PS1 DUMBASS FOOL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGBTtaMfYfE duke Nukem Time To Kill (level 1) LOOK HE LEANS LEFT AND RIGHT WITHOUT ATTACHING TO WALL AND EVEN SHOWS LEANING IS USEFUL WITHOUT EVEN ATTACHING TO COVER
  • Cleanser247 - May 22, 2010 9:30 p.m.

This looks amazing! I can't wait!
  • Zeb364 - May 22, 2010 8:15 p.m.

I can't wait to get my hands on Gears 3
  • CombatWombat101 - May 22, 2010 8:15 p.m.

@Addjumpgoddamnit: First off... Capslock was never meant to be used for entire paragraphs. Calm the hell down, sir. Secondly, what is the point of a lean system in a third-person shooter? The games you mentioned as a reference for the "type" of leaning (as though leaning is ENTIRELY BLOODY DIFFERENT depending on the game) are first-person shooters. Leaning enables you to see around a corner / wall / what have you without exposing your entire body. In a third-person shooter, YOU CAN ALREADY DO THAT. Oh and thirdly, I'm confused as to how a lack of jumping "ruins exploration." Again, this is a third-person shooter. What exploration are you talking about? Show me an example from Killzone 2 (not trying to incite some sort of console war, just using the example that was given) where jumping substantially improved exploration, and I will give you a thousand dollars. Make sure you remember the difference between "exploration" and "following the path the developers have laid out." And hell, I might as well throw this out there too: manual chainsaw aiming is a rather pointless idea. Where are you going to aim your chainsaw? Into the body of the dude directly in front of you, of course. So they do it for you when you end up directly in front of them. Big deal. The point is moot anyway, because if you've played Gears before and you're worried about skill, your finger should never touch the B button anyway. You all know what I'm talking about. Anyway this comment is getting way too damn long, so I'll go OT for a second to say that Gears 3 looks awesome, and I can't wait. I still put on the Ashes to Ashes trailer every now and then. Whoever creates the Gears trailers should get a medal; they're consistently wicked.
  • Addjumpgoddamnit - May 22, 2010 6:40 p.m.

ADD A JUMP BUTTON...NO JUMPING RUINS THE LEVEL DESIGN COMPLEXITY AND PLAYER MOVEMENT PATH'S AROUND LEVEL NO JUMPING IS FOR NOOBS AND RUINS EXPLORATION..ADD KILLZONE2 LIKE JUMPING WHERE U CANT SHOOT AND JUMP AT THE SAMETIME. AND LET US AIM THE CHAINSAW MANUALLY LIKE DOOM 1993/3 SCRIPTED KILLS=NO SKILL=NO FUN. ALSO ATTACH TO WALL COVER SYSTEMS SUCK..ADD FEAR 1#/DUKE NUKEM TIME TO KILL TYPE LEANING IT'S BETTER SINCE U CAN ADJUST HOW MUCH U STICK OUT FROM WALL UNLIKE CURRENT SHIT. ALSO LET US CROUCH MANUALLY WITHOUT ATTACHING TO WALL.
  • OddWoN ER - May 22, 2010 3:35 p.m.

so as dumb as it would be... i would put money on that the COG and the locust will team up...
  • tacoman38 - May 22, 2010 3:22 p.m.

a city called char. Isn't char the hidden Protoss world in Starcraft?
  • KingArchie55 - May 22, 2010 2:18 p.m.

Don't know about anybody else, but I think this should have a better single player mode than 2 and 1. Like, make all the characters playable instead of Marcus in story mode. And maybe costumes. I didn't like how when you were done with the single player, there wasn't a reason to really go back. And I don't have online.
  • ihopethisisnotantistasblood - May 22, 2010 2:05 p.m.

@onedown Yeah..i only read the part about anya and the other guy that you play as in the main story, i thought the four player co-op would be marcus, dom, baird and cole
  • nadrewod999 - May 22, 2010 11:54 a.m.

Wait, Gears 4 is back on (unofficially, of course)?!?! YES!! My conspiracy theory still works! Good-bye Carmine brothers, thanks for showing us 4 ways to die in 4 different games!
  • gilgamesh310 - May 22, 2010 11:33 a.m.

Why did they say that GOW 3 returns to the sandbox nature of the first. Neither of the two previous games were sandbox in nature but the second one obviously gave more wide open passages to battle enemies in than the first one did. What a pointless remark!
  • NoMoreNiceGuy - May 22, 2010 9:56 a.m.

the picture under break a leg looks like a penis
  • allthegoodnameswheretaken - May 22, 2010 8:56 a.m.

Can we get another Golden Gun ?
  • shinigamiDude - May 22, 2010 7:28 a.m.

At least they will let us kill the final boss or the locust queen by ourselves. Right? RIGHT?!
  • BlackElement17 - May 22, 2010 7:09 a.m.

Cliffy B is one talented shitting Dracula.