• winner2 - January 11, 2012 5:43 p.m.

The world is a strange place lol
  • RedHarlow - January 11, 2012 3:41 p.m.

Capitalism!!
  • talleyXIV - January 11, 2012 1:26 p.m.

Wait 3 minutes... enough Chinese babies were just born to replace them.
  • Hurricrane - January 11, 2012 10:57 a.m.

Now THERE'S a group of people who now how to get some attention for their plight!
  • onetimebuster - January 11, 2012 9:39 a.m.

I hope those are not the predators nets those will get you good.
  • MattOfSteel - January 11, 2012 9:24 a.m.

The other problem is that the concept of suicide = eternal sin is mostly a Western one (and for the record it is a big sin in Islam as well). Many Eastern religions do not see suicide as a major sin, instead they treat it as a pay it forward style of karma. So it is unlikely that a Chinese worker has a fear of burning in one of the circles of hell for all eternity because they killed themselves in protest of being treated like they didn't matter.
  • Mavarious - January 11, 2012 1:10 p.m.

The problem I have with suicide is a waste of life and time. I don't fear burning in hell, I just don't think it's very logical to have a problem and solve it by ending your life. It's like, "Oh cruel world, you are evil and mean! I will now do you the honor of removing myself from your presence, and in the process only hurt myself and the people I care about!" There has to be a better way to protest.
  • archnite - January 11, 2012 9:18 a.m.

Fox...die?
  • fuzzybunny566 - January 11, 2012 9:05 a.m.

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure there are at least a few other ways to commit suicide aside from jumping off a roof...maybe some sort of production line sabotage where they shove body parts into machines and blood and guts stain xbox 360 cases? Just sayin'. Just watch The Mangler.
  • Redeater - January 11, 2012 8:57 a.m.

But this isn't possible! According to the People's Republic all is well and running smoothly!
  • EwoksTasteLikeChicken - January 11, 2012 12:32 p.m.

dammit man you just made my day
  • PistonTwister - January 11, 2012 8:41 a.m.

Moving the manufacturing to an alternative more expensive factory would probably mean a significant increase in the retail cost of many products seeing that Foxconn components are so ubiquitous. Ive see first hand (and paid the price with my own job) that when a company reaches a highwatermark for annual profits, there is very little that would lead them to voluntarily go backwards. Since they wont annoy shareholders by reducing profit margins, the only option is to make the end user pay more at retail. Since they want to sell consoles by the truckload, they wont do this either. So its the employee that pays with poorer salaries, or in this case possibly with their lives. Capitalism makes me fúcking sick sometimes. And this is even worse, cause its capitalism mixed up with the work practises of communism. A pretty scare concoction.
  • ThisIsMyFuckingThirdAccount - January 11, 2012 10:25 a.m.

If it were a different place, they could at least unionize.
  • 8bitBaby - January 11, 2012 8:02 a.m.

suicide nets. woah. how depressing would that be to see on your way in to work each day.
  • db1331 - January 11, 2012 8:34 a.m.

On the flip side, I bet it would be fun as hell to jump off the roof and land in one. It might even boost company morale. But if you boosted company morale, then you wouldn't need the suicide nets anymore... Now I think we can see just how deep this problem goes...
  • brickman409 - January 11, 2012 10:46 a.m.

lol that would be pretty fun but those cheap piece of crap chinese made nets would probably rip apart under your own weight
  • db1331 - January 11, 2012 7:56 a.m.

"It does beg the question, then, why the firm should choose to build its hardware with Foxconn factory - a company famous for not only the high rate of suicide among its workers, but for also having installed what looks like 'suicide nets' to catch anyone who does try to jump - look at this." Wow WTF? I had no idea. I work on computers for a living, and I'd imagine I could find "Foxconn" printed on at least 75% of any parts I look at. How in the fuck do you install suicide nets instead of fixing the underlying issue that makes your employees want to kill themselves?
  • ObliqueZombie - January 11, 2012 8:18 a.m.

With the amount of money Foxconn is already making, I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem. This is a very serious issue indeed, and not just because I'm a gamer.
  • Darkhawk - January 11, 2012 7:52 a.m.

I'm Canadian, and even I find the British use of "rise" as in "pay raise" very peculiar.
  • BladedFalcon - January 11, 2012 7:45 a.m.

Eeesh... This is crappy, but then again not all that surprising. It's very well known that working conditions in Chinese factories are shit. And it's also well known that most companies manufacturing large amounts of anything do it in China. So this might look iffy for Microsoft, but they are far from being the only offender.