• Clovin64 - July 4, 2013 4:01 a.m.

I just finished a big Silent Hill marathon (SH2 is still the best!), and I enjoyed playing through them so much I might just do it again on Harder difficulties. Aside from that, the Final Fantasy XIV beta just got me in the mood for playing FFXII again, and now I'm once again addicted to getting all the best stuff on the liscence board... I'll also be playing Skyrim (havent finished the DLC expansions yet), Dark Souls, and maybe a bit of Mass Effect. I live in Scotland, so its not like I'll be missing any good weather or anything :P
  • Rub3z - July 4, 2013 3:21 a.m.

You want to know what my gaming goal for this summer is? Aside from earning enough money to get my buddy a Wii U, this specific goal has been the same for like the past 3 years. I want to, at some point, finally beat the last challenge mission that I haven't completed in Vanquish and finally earn 1000/1000 achievement points for the game. This particular mission is so monumentally hard, especially at the end, that it's been like a pitiful hole of hardcore-gamer shame for me for years now. I want so, so badly to beat that mission. I probably still have my attack pattern and strategy for completing all but the last section of it committed to memory. The last section of this brutal challenge level has: -Two annoyingly resilient and hard-to-hit flying shotgun enemies; -Two (maybe even three?) giant double-chaingun-toting enemies that fire rockets at you with the ability to incapacitate you at once, and a one-hit-kill giant homing rocket ability; -A big flame-spewing melee enemy that relentlessly chases you down trying to crush you and can overheat your suit to rob you of the ability to induce your AR dodging or bullet-time powers; -And to top it all off, a FUCKING BOSS ENEMY THAT CAN TURN INVISIBLE AND IS EQUIPPED WITH MULTIPLE ONE-HIT-KILL ATTACKS HOLY SHIT. I mean, it certainly isn't impossible... I even once got to a point where I managed to wipe all the other enemies save the boss in the last section, and got him down to less than half health before he caught me with one of those one-hit-kill attacks... but it's so challenging throughout that even if you know and have memorized how best to deal with every pattern of enemies the previous sections throw at you, your survival up to that point is still tenuous, and it could take you more than 15 minutes of straight-up fighting to reach that point. Then you charge in to the last section and get ripped apart by the initial wave of enemies, and if not then by the boss following them... unless you can invest at that moment every bit of skill you've got to survive and wipe the initial wave of enemies as fast as possible, and should you not deal with them fast enough you'll have to contend with the possibility of whether or not you'll be ready for the boss enemy to materialize in front of you and charge you with his scary-ass one-hit-kill energy slash attack whilst you're focused on dealing with the other enemies, almost all of which also have the ability to wipe you in one to two hits if you're not on your game. For me anyway, it's probably stood tall, for numerous reasons, as one of if not the most challenging singular moments of any game.
  • BladedFalcon - July 4, 2013 1:10 p.m.

Dude... Wow, you have no idea how much I can relate to this. That challenge Mission you're talking about? I got stuck in there as well! It's the one damn thing I couldn't pass in that game, and the one part that kept me from achieving a platinum trophy for Vanquish! Unlike you do, I did give up and I've moved on, but I can't deny that it still haunts me to this day ._. I wish you the best though, and it sounds you already have managed to get further on that challenge that I ever did XD I was never able to progress past after the wave in which you fight the two flying bosses on steroids. I love that game so much, but yeah, fuck taht last challenge XD
  • Rub3z - July 4, 2013 9:41 p.m.

Are you talking about the very last challenge? Number five? With the bridge that appears in the late-game? Where you have to face off against two Buzzards at once on the bridge? I actually managed to beat that, and the additional boss I believe came after it lol When I got to that part with the Buzzards, first I was like "oh, you've got to be fucking kidding me," but then I more or less remember tackling it like Dark Souls. I realized that I've memorized the predictable attack patterns of this one enemy, so now I had to extend that knowledge to both of them at the same time. Pretty hard, but once you can do that, I focused all my effort and firepower into doing as much damage as possible to just one of them to take him out as fast as possible... kinda like the Four Kings boss fight, because in Vanquish, the longer you spend in combat with numerous enemies, the greater the chances you'll get hit and likely die. Extend that to two particularly powerful boss enemies at the same time, and the more time you spend between them extends the possibility of death to certainty. After I took out one, dealing with the other was easy. Honestly, the way I remember it, after you beat that part of the challenge, the rest of it is easy. Err... relatively. You know how Vanquish is. :P I was actually referring to the green challenge. Think it might be number four. It's in that grassy, verdant (otherwise kinda peaceful) park area, y'know? First you deal with flying enemies, Romanovs, two fire enemies, elite troopers with walking mines... then you go on to the next wave with the basic infantry and the Unknown shape-shifty boss thing (really annoying one-hit kill attack on that bugger), then to the next wave with the initial laughably easy onslaught of flying enemies, followed closely by a bunch of infantry supporting the big razor-blade tank. Then... THEN... it comes to the hard part I talked about. If you actually managed to beat challenge number four, that one in the park, then I commend you sir. If I could beat the two flying boss enemies in the other challenge, certainly you could. You might even want to consider dusting it off for one last go at that trophy lol :D
  • avantguardian - July 3, 2013 9:53 p.m.

i like many others, will be pushing through my ridiculous backlog, attempting to clean it up before the new stuff gets here. i've also got probably 5-10 games sitting there at about 80% completion. just gotta bite the bullet and see 'em through!
  • winner2 - July 3, 2013 8:37 p.m.

Hmm. I got lords of shadow recently but i got bored at the spider cave. I'm tempted to try P4G. I dont really accumulate backlogs or anything though.It's a bit up in the air.
  • g1rldraco7 - July 3, 2013 8:03 p.m.

I hear their voices as I read each slide, that's a good thing right? Well now I keep picturing Lucas running around in those booty shorts he mentioned tuesday night. Anyway i need to finish the 360 games I bought during the 2012 GameStop summer sale before I can dig into my 2013 game list which only has 5 games at the time. Good thing there's air conditioning, anyway good to all of you of the GR Crew :)
  • antiAntag0nist - July 3, 2013 7:57 p.m.

I've bitten off more than I can chew recently with the games I've purchased. Most of them have been RPGS that require 20 hours minimum. Games like The Witcher 1 & 2, KoTOR series on PC, Fallout New Vegas & Skyrim (playing on PC for the mod support) etc. Those games, plus the shooters I'm playing (Halo 4 has got me hooked again) are playing hell with my free time. Throw in the various sales going on at the moment, with the Steam Summer Sale coming soon, I'm still f'd six ways from Sunday! I have a little over a month until class kicks off for Fall Semester (August 16th to be exact) to play as much as possible. Wish me luck guys...
  • SpadesSlick - July 3, 2013 7:29 p.m.

I am a pathetic sack of sadness, a lot of my gaming this summer is going through a bunch of games to get achievements I missed before next gen. Want to get my gamerscore in the 75,000 range before the one is out. It's currently sitting at 57,000. Going to finally get all the achievements in AC2 thanks to the gold promotion, and bought mass effect 1 for five dollars in the sale as I need one playthrough to get all the biotic related achievements.
  • BackwaterRifle - July 3, 2013 7:25 p.m.

Pissing away the hours on Civ V and GTA IV, while I wait for GTA V, so I can use that to kill the time I will spend waiting for fallout 4.
  • pokepark7 - July 3, 2013 7:25 p.m.

my goals are to look at all the games i have and try to beat the ones that i haven't touched in a while or just get so random game and play it :P
  • BladedFalcon - July 3, 2013 7:10 p.m.

*Reads Ryan's entry* Good man (: Anyway, my goal is to deal with a very weird backlog that includes: -Metro: Last Light, (Thanks again Radioradar!) -Ni No Kuni, -X-Com: Enemy Unknown, -Psychonauts -GrimGrimoire - Final fantasy V -Paper Mario: Sticker Star -Machinarium -Pixel Junk's Shooter -Pixel Junk's Shooter 2 -Pixel Junk's Sidescroller -Pixel Junk's Eden -Just Cause 2 -The unfinished Swan -Xenogears -Jet Set radio -Dead Nation -Super Stardust HD (both this and Dead Nation have been waiting for me ever since I got them for free with the PSN apology freebies they gave after the whole PSN shutdown in early 2011.) -Odin Sphere (I wanna play it AGAIN!) -... And a copy of Deus Ex: human revolution that has been sitting on my shelf for more than a year... Yeaaaaah... Pretty sure summer won't cut it >>; Thanfully, don't plan to adopt a new console any time soon, so i WILL get to all of them... eventually... Yes, even Deus Ex... Maybe.
  • Rhymenocerous - July 4, 2013 1 p.m.

Do it - Deus Ex HR is definitely worthy of your time.
  • snipes101 - July 3, 2013 6:49 p.m.

I want to beat an old-school Japanese RPG like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6, or Secret Of Mana
  • GoldenEagle1476 - July 3, 2013 2:50 p.m.

I plan to finally start Fallout: New Vegas, and hopefully get to Tomb Raider and Metro: Last Light.
  • StrayGator - July 3, 2013 2:31 p.m.

When not playing Borderlands 2 i'll probably just sit, stare at my steam library and sob. Also, Lair.
  • Talvari - July 3, 2013 2:28 p.m.

I'm gonna try and get through some PS3 games i still got back in late 2012...try to get higher rank and get better at Osu!. Get back into dota2, try and get good at street fighter 4 arcade edition and maybe play some of the PC backlog i have... Oh and i plan on programming / helping my sister make her game. I ain't got no reason to be bored with this summer free time!
  • EAC73 - July 3, 2013 2:23 p.m.

Tom and his LoL addiction. I recently kicked the stuff, after reaching silver and racking up 800+ wins, I changed to DotA 2, and I feel I have a new addiction started. With DotA taking up most of my time, I am determined to play through Project X Zone that I picked up the other day.
  • GR_LucasSullivan - July 3, 2013 2:03 p.m.

Best strapline ever
  • ljrivarola - July 3, 2013 5:16 p.m.

Everytime I read it, your voice comes to my head