• Tahryl - August 22, 2013 12:45 p.m.

Just like to point out that: Morgana is in fact a fallen angel, not a demon, Zed is in fact asian (his skin doesn't reveal if he is white or not, as lighter skin tones tend to look the same), Quinn is in fact not a werehawk and her bird is in fact an eagle, Udyr is asian as well, Kassadin is a human turned into a void wielder (he has a human skin, come on now), Lissandra is in fact a human who possesses control over ice, and Vlad isn't a vampire, he's a hemomancer, complete difference. If you've played since beta, then you should actually try and make things make sense for a game you clearly like.
  • JakePPetersen - August 22, 2013 1:08 p.m.

Yes, because a comedy article NEEDS to have every detail right.
  • pinoklin - August 22, 2013 5:37 p.m.

they know all of this, but simplifying the descriptions is what makes it funny. some people just can't get humor at all.
  • Rub3z - August 24, 2013 4:11 a.m.

So is that guy a crocodile or an alligator? You've clearly piqued our curiosity now.
  • Lionzest - August 22, 2013 12:45 p.m.

I think this is one of those articles where, as if it were, if they made a champion that had anything resembling actual "blackness" it could be directed at race. So I'm not too fond of the idea of game developers having a mandatory multi-ethnic cast, this isn't supposed to be PC in either shape or form. If you have to apologize for writing an article, it seems not worth writing?
  • Rub3z - August 24, 2013 4:17 a.m.

I don't see an apology anywhere around here...
  • JakePPetersen - August 22, 2013 12:07 p.m.

How do you know Viktor isn't black under that armor?
  • GR HollanderCooper - August 22, 2013 1:35 p.m.

Ehem... http://www.lolking.net/models/?champion=112&skin=2
  • JakePPetersen - August 22, 2013 1:54 p.m.

Huh. Must have added a new skin in the 8 months since I last played.
  • pinoklin - August 22, 2013 5:38 p.m.

prototype viktor skin shows him as a white male.
  • Rub3z - August 24, 2013 4:10 a.m.

I'm positive that a true black man would never hide his own beautiful, black face under a layer of armor; confident that the majesty of his gorgeous ebony visage will protect it.
  • theguyinthecloset - August 22, 2013 12:07 p.m.

That was just a joke don't take it seriously...
  • BladedFalcon - August 22, 2013 11:48 a.m.

...So? does that diminish the game in any way? does that make the developers racist? Is any game that has multiple characters from now on going to have a required black, Asian, Latino, Homosexual characters lest it is made a big deal out of it?
  • FemJesse - August 22, 2013 12:15 p.m.

I think the most egregious offense is the "redesign" of Taric. Also, Lucian's premium currency skin makes him white which is all kinds of fucked up since there are no other HUMAN characters that swap their skin colors... see for yourself http://gameinfo.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/game-info/champions/lucian/
  • BladedFalcon - August 22, 2013 12:40 p.m.

Well... You COULD say that, as Lucian's racial features are still those of an African-American in that image, maybe they are also being inclusive to Albino Afro-Americans? :P Two birds one stone! In all seriousness though, I guess it IS more noteworthy here because you changed a former black man into a white guy, and now you allow the only black guy to have white skin. One happenstance doesn't seem a big deal to me, but two do make it feel more fishy.
  • FemJesse - August 22, 2013 1:18 p.m.

When you're designing characters for a game and you want to create a diverse roster, it seems like a strange decision to only include humans that look a certain way. I feel the same way about the bug-eyed big titted women. I own all the female characters in LoL even though they all look the same, and some skins even make heros look like other heros which is totally confusing. (There is a Katarina skin that makes her look like Miss Fortune, there is so little diversity in how females are drawn/modelled) When the game was new they took a lot more artistic liberties than they do today. I'm fairly sure they would not have released Gragas today looking as he does and I am certain we will never see a female counterpart of Gragas. League is taking itself too seriously ATM, and as a result it is overlooking obvious solutions for it's ever growing roster of champions.
  • FemJesse - August 22, 2013 1:24 p.m.

I think the cool thing about real life is that everyone looks different. I don't know why fantasy should be lacking the coolest thing about the real world.
  • BladedFalcon - August 22, 2013 3:35 p.m.

That's a good point. Although you could say that's a problem with ALL fictional media in general. Most people want to make their fictional characters be appealing or idealized, and so you often get repeats of the narrow view of what is considered "attractive". And hell, I would pursue your point further in that in fantasy or sci, there so much missed opportunities by making most alien or magical races be too humanoid, or humanoid mixed with a known animal, and even then you ALWAYS have way too many generic looking humans in most of these stories XD
  • FemJesse - August 22, 2013 6:23 p.m.

I can't disagree with you there. I think it's part of the reason everybody loves the Elcor so much. I think it's funny that people are acting defensive of Riot, when the whole thing is just a humorous observation. Riot could have easily just never acknowledged that there could be different looking people in its continuity and it wouldn't have made a difference. I really like Lucian's design and I'm excited to play him soon. I was also giddy when he was announced because his splash art is doing the boobs and butt pose that they usually put the women in.