• amagasakiseb - January 28, 2012 8:55 a.m.

situation 1: Oh you know that peugeot 306 you were going to buy? You can buy it now from the used dealer but you won't get the free servicing for 1 year that you would've got if you'd bought it brand new. Nevermind.. that's the cost of buying it second hand! situation 2: Oh you know that peugeot 306 you were going to buy? Well now that it's being sold to you second hand, peugeot is coming to our house to take off the wheels so you have to pay extra for them. Oh you don't like it? Well you should've bought the car brand new.. Oh it's nothing to do with peugeot now? THAT'S WHAT YOU THINK SUCKER. In situation 1 you lose something that would be considered as an added bonus (perhaps an incentive to buy brand new) and in situation 2 you have a punishment for not buying it brand new. It's really as simple as that. Don't give me the argument that cars are different. This situation would apply to games around 1 or 2 years old MAX and any car around 1 or 2 years old MAX would most likely be perfectly or at least close to brand new condition. Wear and tear may happen but this happens in games too with discs getting scratched and they hang etc.Therefore, in this case, it's exactly the same as the game situation. They have no excuse to do this. DVD publishers don't do it, music producers don't do it, book publishers don't do it.. Unfortunately they don't need an excuse to do it, they are just doing business.
  • HybridSteel - January 28, 2012 8:36 a.m.

I can understand the multiplayer code thing they have going and in honesty it was expected with time due to game companies not getting money after the reselling of a game.... BUT this new code where it locks you out of missions in single player just because its a pre-owned copy is pushing the crapy barrier to far... companies like EA should realise that this act of aggression on the poor gamer is just another f**k you in the eyes of us all. some games i like to buy pre-owned because i feel that some titles don't live up to the hype and i wouldn't want to buy them full price, but if this code of locking single player content goes into the market and starts locking more and more parts to games on the horizon I would probably stop buying games from certain companies... This act against the pre-owned world can only get worse if this trend continue's with EA's quest for more money. I can see the pre-owned world in trouble if other companies do this aswell as the games market would crash due to the amount of money we all would have to pay for a pre-owned game plus 800 microsoft points for an online pass and an additional 1200 points to get rogered in the corner by an EA TEAM MEMBER OF YOUR CHOICE.
  • ivanho163 - January 28, 2012 6:34 a.m.

Just think of it as a pre-order bonus, except you don't have to pre-order it and it's not retailer specific!
  • tiger357 - January 28, 2012 4:05 a.m.

There is a very lengthy discussion about this topic on the KoA:R forums in which 38 Studios clarify the nature of the online code. This content was developed after the final code version had been submitted for approval and thus could not have been added to the actual game disk. It was originally intended to be released as part of the first batch of paid dlc, but 38 Studios and/or EA elected to package it with the game on release instead.
  • CitizenThom - January 28, 2012 3:17 p.m.

That doesn't quite ring true. If there was post-game-going-gold program that couldn't be on the disc, what's to stop it from simply being free dlc? Why would it have to be unlocked with a code in the new game packaging? Sorry, but what 38 Studios told you sounds a bit like a company line. Likewise, for a game with the kind of quantity of gameplay that Amalur: Reckoning is supposed to have, for what reason does it require any measure against used game sales? It's those games of the ten to twelve hour variety that people trade in quick, and buy used. Putting in measures for the game, that the game shouldn't require seems pointless... that it will annoy many of their customers too... that seems stupid.
  • Sinosaur - January 29, 2012 7:07 a.m.

If this is indeed an extra quest developed after the game is completed, and all you need to do to get this extra, not part of the normal game quest is buy a new copy of the game, then in effect they are giving free DLC to their customers. Mass Effect 2 did something like this where if you bought the game new, you got a few extra quests to download as well as a new character and a quest line for that character. When I saw that, did I get upset because 'hey, this isn't free if I had bought it used?' or did I go 'I get extra stuff for buying new? That's awesome!' It was the latter. Your complaint that they just aren't giving it out free is ridiculous, because almost all content like this in games that aren't from Valva would cost you money to get, so unless they're feeding a BS line and it is on the disc, then this is only a bonus.
  • CitizenThom - January 29, 2012 1:16 p.m.

Mass Effect 2 for the PS3 had a code that provided DLC that had been created after the game was created. It was free stuff that other people had paid money for on the PC and XBOX versions of the game. It actually was a bonus. For Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, we supposedly have these seven quests, that were completed after the discs started getting pressed... because, you know, the printing of the codes and the sheets they go on, we're supposed to believe that those slips could get printed faster than content could have simply been included. My complaint isn't ridiculous, several games, when they have some extra content that they wanted to have in the game, but that couldn't get in before the deadline for pressing the discs, was offered as a free download. Did you buy Dragon Age Origins way back when? It included a code for the Stone Prisoner DLC, but there were also free downloads for items that Bioware and/or EA waned to be in the game. No special code was required for those. The reason Stone Prisoner wasn't in the disc was because Bioware wasn't sure if it should be a part of the game, they weren't sure if it fit in with everything else (nevermind the thump, thump, thump sound that could get grating really quick.) It's clear that this DLC is not a bonus, but is a part of the game that was omitted as a method of anti-used game purchasing, which would be all good and fine, except that people who buy the new game have to go through the hastle of unlocking it. Better methodologies for price protection would be to offer the DLC free for the first month a game is available, and then put a price tag on the same DLC when the month is up. That strategy serves their purpose (protecting the price point they're after) while also not punishing people who buy the game new (by making them go through the process of unlocking something that was intended as a part of the original prduct).
  • Sinosaur - January 29, 2012 5:37 p.m.

I would actually have to see these quests in the context of the game to figure out whether or not they felt like a part of the game as designed from the start or actually something extra. The DLC that ME2 had for everyone who bought it new (when it first came out, I'm not talking about the PS3 release), definitely felt like something extra. The new character didn't have the same sort of inclusion as the regular characters and the extra mission that came with him also functioned differently. If the missions in Amalur have the same feeling as the 'bonus extra stuff' that came with Dragon Age and ME2 when they launched, then I'll view them as just that, a bonus. If they have the feel of something that's solidly in the story and the same theme, then your complaints have merit. Pretty much I'm at the point where I'm saying "It could be a cheap move or a nice incentive, but without actually seeing it, we can't be sure."
  • IceBlueKirby - January 28, 2012 12:27 a.m.

I could understand the thing with Catwoman in Arkham City, or the Cerberus Network in Mass Effect 2. A lot of people were going to buy those games. But to do this with an untested, new IP? Either EA is seriously overestimating how much people want this game, or they're about to start a horrible new trend that other developers will exploit to try and overtake the used market. I suppose only time will tell.
  • Sylax - January 27, 2012 10:51 p.m.

As bad as these are it's only locking out a small portion of what is an incredibly huge game which most of us who buy will buy new anyway the only scary part is when they start locking out HUGE portions of the game, such as with Battlefield 3 (especially since the unlocked portion was worse than the code protected part) for used buyers or like with Xbox 720 rumored to lock them out completely which is utter B$. The only times passes like these were a smart decision were with games such as Mass Effect 2 or Dragon Age Origins as the content on the disc (that you could access in Mass Effect 2's case) without the codes could still be considered the full game. Though what this represents is where we must start to worry for Winter is Coming.
  • ThundaGawd - January 27, 2012 10:12 p.m.

"Oh look, EA's once again forcing a f***ton of unnecessary restrictions on players because the greedy bastards want to milk every single penny from potential buyers" I'm not the least bit shocked. When I learned that an EA game would once again be available for purchase on Steam, I knew there would be a catch. Forcing players to buy a new copy in order to enjoy the SINGLE PLAYER, of all things, to it's fullest is quite pathetic, in my opinion. i can understand online passes for MULTIPLAYER games, but this? This simply disgusts me. If they absolutely want to make the most money out of a new video game, they should simply quit their bitching about Steam, and get rid of all these unnecessary restrictions on their games, and more people might be more interested in playing their damn games rather than busting their chops going through all this unnecessary bulls***.
  • Claymore65 - January 27, 2012 8:26 p.m.

This doesn't surprise me at all. Actually, Dragon Age Origins came with free DLC for not buying it pre-owned (specifically the quest where you get Shale). It was available as DLC if you bought the game used (note I bought the game on PC so maybe it was different for consoles). Also, Mass Effect 2 had the cerberus network, which you only got to use if you bought a new copy of the game, featuring Zaeed Mansari (a bonus party member) and the Project Firewalker and Return to the Normandy quests. This isn't very surprising to me at all.
  • larkan - January 27, 2012 8:08 p.m.

The only games I've ever actually bought DLC for were Mass Effect 2 and Borderlands. Mass Effect 2 was worth it in my opinion, but Borderlands was not, simply for the fact that they made 4 separate 10 dollar DLC packs, and then 6 months later released them all with the game as a GOTY version for $30! So for ME3, I will probably buy the DLC attached to it, but as far as any other game (Borderlands 2 included), I wait for an ultimate pack or GOTY before I buy it. The savings alone is usually $40-$60, enough to almost buy a brand new game. Seriously though, DLC started out as a promising way for companies to extend the lives of their games, but quickly turned out to be a way for companies to make 100% of a game, and only release 60% of it, and claim the rest as DLC to make more money, and it truly is disturbing how many people shell out money for this garbage. Thankfully, I only buy games on PC now, so even if I get them at a discounted price, I still get it new, so don't miss out on these "online pass" things. I try to only rent console games to avoid this nonsense, of course if Microsoft has their way, rentals will be a thing of the past, although I doubt that will happen. I know way too many people that rent from either a local store or online, and I think too many heads would roll if MS took that ability away in their next console, but hey, stranger things have happened....
  • CitizenThom - January 27, 2012 7:12 p.m.

Anything involving the requirement to log-in in order to access to game content is worrisome in it's own right. I don't care why they're doing it. Killing a fly with an elephant gun is stupid, no matter how annoying the fly is.
  • IamTheBalance - January 27, 2012 6:49 p.m.

Im boycotting everything EA
  • Wade D McGinnis - January 27, 2012 6:09 p.m.

I think it is a great step. For those buying the game used say 25 dollars, you want more content you fork out 5, 10 , 15 dollars extra online for it. We do this normally with DLC, this is just giving an incentive to the gamers that want the game now. The only time a line can be crossed is if the rumors around the new xbox are true. When a dev starts locking out used games altogether, that is when the gaming community needs to take a stand.
  • chriszewski - January 28, 2012 2:46 p.m.

But this content is already ON the disc. Normally DLC is created after a game goes gold, or there is no room left on a disc. You still see day 1 DLC that may have been created in tandem to what is intended to be included on the physical media but thats not the point.. Even if you buy it new, no LIVE, no content... and its already ON the disc.
  • Wade D McGinnis - January 28, 2012 3:06 p.m.

Just because there is a code, does not mean it is on the disc.
  • chriszewski - January 28, 2012 6:38 p.m.

We'll see on release i suppose, but i suspect i'm not incorrect in my prediction. If the "bonus" quest for consumers who purchase the game new see a size of less than a hundred MB, its on the disc. Just a list of games released with "DLC" already on the disc: Gears of War 3 Super Street Fighter IV/Street Fighter IV Rage God of War III BF: BC2 Bioshock 2 Mass Effect 2 FIFA 10 Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce Resident Evil 5 Skate 2 The Last Remnant To name just a few... EA loves doing this stuff but other Pubs aren't above it either.
  • inkyspot - January 27, 2012 5:58 p.m.

I normally buy new games, but I will not pay 60 USD for a game that I don't think deserves it. I may wait for it to drop in price (which could be a few months or a few years), or I would buy it used. So what they are doing (while I understand it, I think it's wrong)