• Greaterdivinity - March 14, 2014 6:34 p.m.

Disagree. Fanservice is always hilarious and improves everything. Literally everything.
  • Vonter - March 14, 2014 7:19 p.m.

As of recently it has killed the mood because they show plain nudity in anime nowadays. But I still have a soft spot for Ranma 1/2, Cutey Honey and Ghost Sweeper Mikami. Since even if they had fan service they were also funny shows.
  • universaltofu - March 14, 2014 6:20 p.m.

Yeah, even Bravely Default had to include the 'bravo bikini'. even though they seemed to be more nod and a wink cheeky about it, there was still a level of embarrassment felt.
  • Fredeur - March 14, 2014 5:47 p.m.

Yes, puerile material indeed. In the rest of the world, we are all sane and serious adults who prefer to play war in big robots. And what's the fuss about Dragon's Crown ? If you not feel ok about the Sorceress or the Amazon, well, do not play the Sorceress or the Amazon. Sure, there are also the shopkeeper and some sexy drawings. And i think the look of the Sorceress is a response to the widespread indignation over unneeded fan service. "Ah, you gaijin don't like big boobs ? well, here come monster bouncing boobs". I have not seen articles about Game of Thrones saying things like : "This scourge has a name: fan service. Except in this case, fan service doesn't mean a nod to an old character, but more scenes that have one or more of the game’s female characters in some risque or sexualized situation. Nine times out of ten, these overtly sexual vignettes have little impact on the story, and have been gratuitously included for the sole purpose of titillating young male viewers."
  • GR_HenryGilbert - March 14, 2014 6:12 p.m.

If I covered Game of Thrones on this site, I'd mention rolling my eyes at most of its unneeded nudity too
  • TheGooseinator - March 18, 2014 9:14 p.m.

Absolutely, Henry. Key word is "unneeded." If a sex scene or risqué costume isn't relevant to the core of your game, then take it out. Plain and simple XD
  • Lurkero - March 14, 2014 5:32 p.m.

If it sells it sells...unfortunately.
  • robotic-fiend - March 14, 2014 5:30 p.m.

It's just harmless fun, I'm more worried about being considered a potential mass murder for playing GTA or COD. I've gotten past the shame of buying games like these a long time ago, there was one time when I was scared to go into the store and ask for the new Pokemon game, but screw that, I don't have enough time to worry about stuff like that anymore. If a game looks fun to me I'll buy it; hell, I bought Ar Tonelico without knowing anything about it because it was in a pink box, and now I consider it one of my favorite series, even with the goofy innuendo laced dialogue. I can understand people on the outside maybe looking at you with a peoples eyebrow when they see the boobs a jigglin, but life's too short to worry about that kinda stuff, and if it turns them off from playing a game I recommended, they'll miss out on an awesome experience.
  • BladedFalcon - March 14, 2014 4:50 p.m.

I have to agree with this, even though I feel sometimes it might be we are becoming too oversensitive as a culture... it's still bothersome to get such gratuitous models and scenes that serve no other purpose, and it definitely gets in the way of my enjoyment of some otherwise awesome games. Like Dragon's Down, I love the gameplay and style of the game... But the women there did NOT need to be drawn like that, and I do understand the objections leveled at it. And yeah, I flat out didn't play Code of princess because of the main character's design. I would have been otherwise interested, but as it stands, I just don't feel comfortable playing something like that anymore. Good luck changing Japan's ways though... Specially seeing how insular, xenophobic and nationalistic they can be, they have always lived inside their own bubble and have a very different culture than ours for better or worse. But this also means that seeing them change in their ways is going to take a loooong time.
  • Vonter - March 14, 2014 7:54 p.m.

That's true. It'll be interesting if it had purpose, I mean the anime fan service I enjoy are the ones that just implied nudity and was done for the LOLs, shamelessly showing it, kills the thrill of the act. I will like to play it, at least you can select other characters, I think is a thing you have to stand, like water levels in a sidescroller. That game didn't looked that good, looked restrictive and repetitive. Although if I can be Devil's advocate for a moment Catherine was a good excuse to depict sexuality in a game, hell I think is the only infidelity game that has graced a console in that way. I hope they jump to Steam soon, the amount of games they could release (but they still need to deal with translation... ). Japan has been at their best when they take a thing from another country and make a twist with it, Cowboy Bebop, Mother, or classic Final Fantasy were their interpretations of the west, I like if their is more cultural variances in media instead of just being all 'Merica.
  • bobob101 - March 14, 2014 4:47 p.m.

I play a lot of Japanese games (including visual novels) so I am used to all of this fan service. I also watch a lot of anime. One interesting thing about anime is that almost all of the profits come from merchandising and DVD/Blue ray sales. The kinds of series that get the most money are very often the fan service ones. That's why people make Senran Kagura or Queens blade. It might be similar with games, where the act of adding fan service gets your products to the markets (in Japan at least) that are willing to buy almost anything with a sexy girl character plastered on the front of it.
  • Kyo - March 14, 2014 4:31 p.m.

Are you friends with someone at NintendoLife because they had the same god damn complaint today. I will say the same thing I said on that article... A few games having some sexy girls is not a bad thing. If it doesn't appeal to YOU then it's not "fan service ruins games!" it's... "IT'S NOT FOR YOU". Period. I can't stand when people want every single game to cater to them. I hate sports.. I hate them... I don't cry to people saying sports games aren't real games and that they should be changed. They're just not for me. Fan service is just that.. service for the fans. I have to say.. either deal with it.. or leave. lol
  • Divine Paladin - March 14, 2014 7:49 p.m.

I think his point is that almost the entire JRPG genre has become fan service to that niche. It's not an issue of "I don't like sports," more so one of "I like sports but there is too much advertising in modern sports games." Advertising and scantily clad characters that push the object-not-woman stereotype are one in the same for their respective genres: They help make more money in the end. That doesn't mean sports games aren't for a person, or that Henry should avoid RPGs because of a few slutty-looking underage girls; as he said, he enjoys the genre in spite of these issues.
  • Veedot - March 14, 2014 3:58 p.m.

This is one of the things that keeps me from fully enjoying the arcana heart series (though its more the underage girls than the fan service). Its a great fighting game but the design choice of the roster leaves me feeling uncomfortable (but i don't get this feeling from Skullgirls at all so it must just be the little anime girls designs)
  • JMarsella09 - March 14, 2014 3:37 p.m.

So... My handling of fan service is simply to be apathetic. I play a lot of japanese games, and the simply don't let the fan service bother me. In fact, sometimes I flat out just laugh at it, but I don't think it ever hurts the game. If a game designer wants make his or her character barely dressed, more power to them. As long as the character is likable and well written, the state of his or her dress does not bother me.