• winner2 - March 15, 2014 12:09 p.m.

Eh, it's never bothered me. It wouldn't bother me if it wasn't there in those games, but it doesn't bother me that it's there. If a girl is nice to look at, great. If she's ugly, she's just an ugly character. Maybe I'm just not sensitive to this like other people, but this is lost on me. I just can't relate to how it can bother people that MUCH.
  • TheGreyWizard - March 15, 2014 7:20 a.m.

Here's the hypocrisy of the entire world right here.
  • GOD - March 15, 2014 2:14 a.m.

I experienced the same feeling recently with Dragon's Crown. I love that game and thinks it's really a ton of fun, but unfortunately I find it hard to recommend to anyone because then I have to get past the looks of the characters. I swear I picked the Amazon because I like her combat style, but I wouldn't dare be playing that game when someone else is in the room. It's unfortunate though because the rest of the art in that game is beautiful. The backgrounds and combat are really clean and visually appealing. It's funny though because the only person I'll really talk about the game with is a girl but she's plays a ton of RPGs so she knows that's just the way it is and it's not even acknowledged. Japanese game designers just clearly don't realize that the internet exists for these things, and to try and compete with things on the internet that serve that purpose as well as games is over extending. On the other hand, dating sims are pretty popular in Japan, where as they barely exist in the US.
  • TanookiMan - March 15, 2014 6:21 a.m.

I hate that feeling, when you enjoy a game and want to tell everyone about it but think, "Naw...probably better not" because of the art. Super frustrating.
  • Darkhawk - March 14, 2014 10:08 p.m.

Yeah, Kojima's gone too far with MGSV. I was actually fine with EVA; it fit the 1960's "Pussy Galore" vibe of Snake Eater. But this new sniper is just ridiculous.
  • GOD - March 15, 2014 2:20 a.m.

I was feeling like "Hey it wasn't that bad though" until I looked it up just to be sure and found this.... http://www.konami.jp/kojima_pro/japanese/sp/info/index.php?d=201309&id=371 ...ok so it's pretty bad.
  • Darkhawk - March 16, 2014 2:33 p.m.

christ.* *On a related note, at least we can take some relief in that as the art form grows up, so too does its audience. These kinds of editorials (and comments) are proof that we as gamers actually are getting kind of fed up with this stuff. And Elizabeth's Infinite breasts are a prime example of a positive outcome.
  • PlainLikeVanilla - March 14, 2014 9 p.m.

I'm ready for this trend to go away. I feel uncomfortable just looking at the screenshots in the article. It's at the point where I've stopped buying things like this because of how much it distracts from the narrative.
  • hintzke - March 14, 2014 7:36 p.m.

OP wants JRPGs, a series of games that has never changed, to change because he no longer likes the things that didn't bother him. Instead of playing something that OP would like, OP instead plays the same games grudgingly and writes a long post about it. Posters come on and white knight for OP, despite Western culture sexualizing just about everything themselves. This whole page is full of lol wut?
  • Divine Paladin - March 14, 2014 7:59 p.m.

If they have never changed, then why is this trend becoming a bigger thing nowadays? I don't disagree with the Western sexualization comment, but I'd definitely argue that JRPGs are not a static entity in gaming history. Plus, y'know, he said in the article that he still likes the genre in spite of this one niggling issue. Why should he stop playing if he enjoys them? It feels like you've strawmanned big-time here.
  • Vonter - March 14, 2014 7:31 p.m.

We're becoming more mainstream in this globalized world. Going to appeal to everyone and killing a niche market. Also what about the over seriousness pervading the medium, I mean very few characters smile or show a bit of charisma. Also if I may be a cynic how about making he male leads more handsome. But if we're going to criticize we can't be Black and White, showing a character as sexy "can" add to a story, either by showing the deceptiveness of beauty or show contrast with other characters (in that case average and ugly characters are needed too). Going by the writer's point of view, yeah, oversexualization of women feels odd in a medium that is getting better at telling as well as playing. In a "realistic" game feels especially wrong because it usually tries to be "serious". In japanese games I mainly see it as an excuse to add "character" to a female in a game. As a whole in an industry mostly formed by men I suppose its natural seeing how there aren't variations in the depiction of women, since 90% are made in the ideal proportions. I mean even in TLoU the females looked taken out of Uncharted, its a nitpick but it strike me as odd. I also expect an article criticizing violence because the medium is in deed built on several cemeteries, which is starting to get sad when deeper games want to question morals, "violence is the wild card of a weak intellect".
  • GR_HenryGilbert - March 14, 2014 11:22 p.m.

You want an article where I critique over-the-top violence? Funnily enough http://www.gamesradar.com/im-little-tired-being-murderer/
  • Vonter - March 15, 2014 7:49 a.m.

:D thanks, hehe. Al what's your opinion towards Catherine? Its the main example I've got as an exception to the fan service trope in games, since the game is about intimate relations.
  • GR_HenryGilbert - March 17, 2014 8:19 p.m.

I wouldn't call it progressive or anything, but at least the subject matter justifies the fan service. And, like a lot of the games I name here, Catherine deals with adults in sexy situations
  • TheGooseinator - March 14, 2014 6:59 p.m.

The sad thing is that this trend has been around for decades. I'll never forget when I was playing Final Fantasy IV, and I came across a girl who, when spoken too, will shout something along the lines of "I'm not guilty, you won't turn me in, right?" If you respond with "no," the girl will perform a completely unprompted "dance" for you in a bikini, leaving you confused and insulted at why the developers put this entirely irrelevant and unnecessary NPC encounter into the game. You know, I really thought that game devs would have moved past this type of pointless sexual appeal at this point. Guess not:(
  • Vonter - March 14, 2014 8:12 p.m.

Right or wrong is not as clear as night or day. In the end you do the things that give you money. Part of this issue is because nowadays one can get the TnA from the internet (I bet it'll be a different story if it wasn't the case). The thing is like all things the internet hates it is about proportion, having an excess of anything is bad in the long run because we get sick of it. But cutting it, omitting or changing it just for the sake of it is lame. Proposing alternatives is the smart thing to do. Like Ghost in the Shell (movie) it has a point on why we see the lead naked at several point of that movie. A game example is Catherine in which we deal with the moral dilemma of marriage and the big decisions it brings.
  • TheGooseinator - March 18, 2014 9:11 p.m.

Vonter, your argument is valid for things like game mechanics, evident by the fact that games like Mario and Call of Duty are just as fun as ever, despite reusing many of the same mechanics. Sexual exploitation, however, is a completely different story. Even if it might be considered "vital" to the genre it appears in (which is very hard for me to comprehend), no player should have to feel alienated or exploited just because the core audience thinks that alienation is a tradition. And yes, while your argument is valid that some games, like Catherine and Mass Effect, can use nudity and sex as a benefit to their stories, those aren't the games that are on the chopping block. What I meant was a game like Dead or Alive, which mercilessly advertises wrongful depictions of women for the "pleasure" of their predominantly male audience, which, no matter how you spin it, is just plain unnecessary. That paragraph sounded really hostile. Let me reiterate that I agree with your statement that Catherine is a really cool, progressive game XD. The problem is, for every game like Catherine, there are a thousand other games that don't come close to its level of thematic maturity. Those games are the ones that need to change their approach.
  • Vonter - March 18, 2014 9:48 p.m.

I think its more like targeting a niche audience, and if that's the intent it really isn't different from an exploitation film (which I don't support but I know it exists for a reason), which usually are films that are ignored or brushed aside. Not all media is inclusive, even avant garde products like Killer 7 are not for everyone and are not intended to be. I suppose in some cases things that are not worth supporting are ignored instead of villiefied. Also like for every remarkable and transcendent shooter their is a big pile of obsolete ones, as conscious consumers things that matter are the ones that one should support, things that are offensive or lets be honest, silly, stupid, unremarkable are things better being ignored.
  • TheGooseinator - March 18, 2014 10:34 p.m.

Yup. Great points. Leave that kind of sexual content to its "audience," and leave everyone else out of it XD
  • GamesRadarCollanderCooper - March 14, 2014 6:56 p.m.

I wouldn't mind it if the female characters didn't look so young. Kind of creepy