• azrael37 - February 11, 2011 3:33 p.m.

i had a hard time getting into god or war 3 and heavy rain... they were both ok and i loved the first two god of wars but for some reason i had to force myself to finish it... and heavy rain had a great story but i'd rather play a game then kind of play a book you know
  • kazimierz3000 - February 11, 2011 12:42 p.m.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who couldn't quite get into Bioshock, I could feel it's quality and polish while playing it, but the whole time something was just missing and I couldn't keep myself playing it.
  • Ultima - February 11, 2011 12:18 p.m.

I think it's to do with having too many people involved in making the games. The teams these days are huge out of necessity which I think leads to a lack of coherence overall, a kind of diluting of the vision of the original idea. Minceraft on the other hand is made by one person and achieves a fantastic atmosphere and originality not found in triple a titles because it has been created by a single mind with a very specific vision which at no point has been diluted. It produces an effect which is the opposite of the question posed by this article - the graphics are extremely basic, the interface and gameplay are simplistic yet I cannot stop playing it, the atmosphere is incredible and it gives me a sense of satisfaction that I thought had disappeared from gaming entirely. Not since the early days of gaming, when games were made by a single person or very small teams have I felt like this about a game. To put it into a phrase - too many cooks spoil the broth
  • philipshaw - February 11, 2011 11:37 a.m.

I had the same thing with AC2 and Killzone 2 where they were technically great but I didn't have fun with them until about half way through each game
  • SalamanderJesus - February 11, 2011 10:30 a.m.

Mass Effect 2- But i do know why i didnt like it, it was terrible. Compared to the first anyway.
  • JayLin22 - February 11, 2011 10:18 a.m.

For me, I just couldn't get into Red Dead Redemption - I think that's partly down to open world games (kinda bored of them now). And although I really enjoyed Dead Space 2, and it's more technically accomplished than the first, Dead Space (1) is, for me at least, the better game...
  • OtterPopAfterbirth - February 11, 2011 9:58 a.m.

killzone 2. holy crap did i not have fun with that game. I struggled to enjoy it: the graphics were outstanding, the controls felt great (if a bit sluggish), but it just felt repetitive and dull, and i'm a fan of shooters. also, i just don't think stick cover works in first person shooters Towards the end of uncharted 2 i was getting kinda of sick of the fire fights and climbing and, since that's pretty much the whole game, it started getting frustrating. it's probably has something to do with the fact that i tried to play it through in as few sessions as possible. fallout 3; i got out of the vault and walked to the first city. at some point i got caught up in a sidequest where i was beating street punks to death with a golf club in the basement of an old school for bottle caps and all i could think was wtf am i doing? is this part of the main quest? shouldn't i know whether this is part of the main quest? too much freedom eghhh, game off. I much prefer the streamlined "freedom" of the mass effect games. this one is gonna make me sound like a wuss: gta4 --i played it pretty late so it felt utterly unpolished. the story/characters/.music seemed top notch, but i couldn't get over how there were no mid mission check points. i'm not saying a game has to hold my hand or anything, but if i fail 2 or 3 times, its just frustrating to play the same parts over and over. it really kills the fun.
  • ZsasZ - February 11, 2011 9:32 a.m.

When I first got my PS3 , a friend lent me Uncharted. I didn't like it. It seemed very pretty but a bit empty. Gave up after 3 hours or so. Bought Uncharted 2 on the basis of great reviews and hype and LOVED IT! Went back to try 1 again and thought it was incredible (although not as good as two). It is now my favourite franchise which is quite a turnaround.
  • TrentSteel - February 11, 2011 9:20 a.m.

This might cause hell.... Super Mario World. It's the only Mario platformer I don't love and I honestly just can't work out why.
  • FascistNewsGroup - February 11, 2011 7:31 a.m.

I to am having a bit of trouble getting into Dead Space 2 like I did the first one. I got into the Bioshock games very easily and love both of them. On Red Dead Redemption, I LOVE the game... But it's the damn horse rides that put me off...
  • essiy - February 11, 2011 6:38 a.m.

In my opinion I just don't seem to like (Here's where people get angry at me) Shadow of collosus. I don't know why, everyone I ask says it's good but I find holding onto a collosus annoying, and by that I mean how you can only hold on for a short time. I also hate playing prototype, it feels like a re-skinned incredible hulk game, even the way he climbs buildings is the same animation.
  • killagreg - February 11, 2011 6:14 a.m.

I have tried probably a dozen times to get into the half-life series. It just doesn't work for me. Wish it did
  • wiljohannes - February 11, 2011 6:02 a.m.

Bioshock, gears of war and resident evil 4.
  • slappygoatcheese - February 11, 2011 5:58 a.m.

I had the same problem with Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. I love the Wind Waker art style but the stealth parts of the dungeons are just yawn inducing. Super Mario Galaxy 2 was also meh. First one was epic, but the sequel made me say, "Haven't we done this before" InFamous I also wanted to love as I REAAALLY love Sly Cooper, but the targeting system just doesnt work for me and I got frustrated and bailed on what I am sure is a decent narrative.
  • shemhamforash - February 11, 2011 5:52 a.m.

I manage to find annoying features in every game I play. It's actually rare to find a game that's good enough for me to suffer through. There are a few games that are really interesting but gamewise totally intolerable. The first one that comes to my mind is Mass Effect one. Damn I'd like to play and love that game but the major part of it is just another FPS which is the genre I loathe (the other one being RTS). It was marketed as a RPG which it most certainly isn't. Dragon Age: Origins has more RPG into it but it wasn't at all enjoyable for me though I managed to play it through. I have to admit that for the last couple of hours I played on the casual setting just to get it through. I already lost any interest in the game but wasted too many hours not to finish the damn thing. To Bioware: You can't call a game RPG on the basis of how much unnecessary dialogue it contains. For a good guideline try playing games such as Fallout 3/NW or Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. They are the closest thing to a modern RPG available in digital form. Also do something to the horrible counter-intuitive menu systems you ruin your games with.
  • HankVenture - February 11, 2011 5:47 a.m.

Fallout 3. I bought it just this past year and the reason is because people gave it such high praise and because I completely loved Oblivion and since it was the same developer and sort of the same style I figured I'd love it as well. I beat the main quest line, but I flew through it and havn't played it since then. I know that it has a good story line and I understand how it is better than oblivion like it's character and missions are more better and easier to remember but it just bored me.
  • jakab11 - February 11, 2011 4:29 a.m.

also, heard great things about dragon age origins, played about 8 hours and got bored. I don't know why because it was a great game with excellent RPG mechanics created by the RPG masterminds at Bioware, but I just wasn't engrossed in the story or the characters or the gameplay for some reason
  • jakab11 - February 11, 2011 4:23 a.m.

I know I'm gonna catch hell for this, but i really didn't enjoy Fallout 3 as much as I expected. I'm not talking about the semi-disappointing DLC either. After reading raving reviews and hearing my friends have nerdgasms about it, I bought it thinking it would be awesome. To this day i haven't finished the main quest, I just wasn't pulled in by the gameplay as much as I expected. I'll be borrowing new vegas soon so maybe I'll have a different experience but I'm not holding my breath
  • keltar93 - February 11, 2011 4:18 a.m.

God of War. I really dig the visual design, and the combat's pretty fun, but it never continues to feel great after a few hours
  • JohnnyVroom - February 11, 2011 3:57 a.m.

Fallout New Vegas I loved Fallout 3 but this one just doesn't feel right for some reason