Topics

pet peeves

• shadeslayer77 - March 3, 2013 8 p.m.

One time I kept getting disconnected with this one guy in Soul Calibur V and he kept thinking I was quitting because he was Japanese...
  • rxb - March 3, 2013 2:59 p.m.

When you go to buy a game and find out it was delayed. [pre internet]
  • sweetchiliheat - March 3, 2013 11:46 a.m.

A lot of things on this list that tick me off. However, achievement spoilers aren't usually a problem, seeing as I usually know all the achievements from the beginning. A few of my own pet peeves: -Killing innocent NPCs in a sandbox/free roam game. Which pretty much every gamer imaginable does...jerks - Unskippable cutscenes. When I have to replay a level repeatedly (dying, grinding, etc.) I'd rather not watch a lengthy cutscene every. damn. time. - people who don't clean their controllers. Sharing is awesome, but grime/grease/sweat is not - excluding an entire genre/game series/console without even trying it or acknowledging it's benefits. - High rank based MP achievements...especially if said multiplayer isn't (or won't be) that good - horrid servers - a complex storyline with a pace that's too fast. This applies to other mediums, but games can't easily be rewound or re-read. - escort missions. 'Nuff said
  • Daniel Cowen - March 3, 2013 10:51 a.m.

Once got kicked out of an AC: Brotherhood match for being TOO STEALTHY. Needless to say, my pet peeve is games hosted by 12 year olds. Got a message from Microsoft asking me to cease my 'cheating' ways or have my account revoked after this kid had me banned from three separate matches after kicking his butt and then reporting me, only for me to have to counter-report and get HIM banned, after I forwarded them copies of the WONDERFUL messages he'd sent me. You can image the contents, I'm sure! Why can't we all just get along? *sigh*
  • cricket0 - March 3, 2013 10:08 a.m.

When your team cant win in an online muliplayer game because the opposing team has surrounded the spawn point
  • gadjo - March 3, 2013 7:36 p.m.

Yeah, when it comes to TF2, I'll usually keep playing when I'm losing, but not when I can't even leave the spawn room without an enormous gang of assholes blowing me to kingdom come. YOU'RE ALREADY WINNING, NOW YOU'RE JUST BEING A DICK! is my rallying cry in those situations.
  • ventanger - March 3, 2013 9:27 a.m.

When I get a game from Gamefly that's too scratched up to even play... Huh.
  • avantguardian - March 3, 2013 1:23 a.m.

in regards to #12, my 360 'reputation' has over 70% of people 'avoiding' me. i also sold my copy of bf3 after getting kicked off a server for the nth time when i was apparently doing too well (i'm not even good at it!). this happens even though i don't cheat/boost, don't use a mic(i've had people report me for being 'disruptive'..?) , do play objectives (fiercely), and NEVER use cheap/op shit like noobtubes or those godforsaken shottys in bo2. the butthurt flows strongly over xbox live.
  • ObliqueZombie - March 3, 2013 1:18 a.m.

"Alright, just gonna get their fla--ho HO! A challenger! Let's start this off right... wait, why. WHY are their bullets coming from my right flank?! UGH, and I almost had him! ... no, what are you doing? Quit, quit it! QUIT TEA-BAGGING ME YOU DON'T EVEN DESERVE TO OH MY GOD." My online day in a nutshell.
  • Elgyem - March 2, 2013 9:58 p.m.

Two come to mind: 1. Ragequitting opponents. You're about to win or have an advantage and you spontaniously see a communication error popup. The worst part is whe people can make it look like an accident so you get disconnected as well. 2. Not being able to save when convenient (I'm looking at you, Square Enix). I cannot tell you how many times this has happened to me, and how pissed I get each time.
  • gadjo - March 3, 2013 7:39 p.m.

Left 4 dead is just prime ragequitting territory. It seems to me I'm always either losing, or booted back to the lobby because the other team left.
  • garnsr - March 2, 2013 8:54 p.m.

Seeing who made the game the first time you load up is fine, but why do we need to see it all every single time? A black loading screen is less irritating than seeing the same thing over and over. I play with the camera inverted, but I need aiming not inverted, and rarely get the choice for separate 3rd/1st person controls. And if jump isn't on X or A, they rarely let you change it to the button that God ordered be the jump button, with your main attack on square.
  • Scoob - March 2, 2013 7:49 p.m.

I would have to go with cut scenes you can't skip. For me, it's mainly that I just don't have the time for it. I work in the boonies during the week with long hours, and only the weekend. Video games don't have the greatest of stories, nor can they have much variety due to the nature of the medium. Having to spend a decent chunk of time to watch a game instead of playing it annoys the hell out of me. In a related note, due to my fragmented play schedule, I don't care for games that don't feature some sort of journal feature or quest tracking of some sort. Such features help jog my memory on what is going on in the game I'm playing.
  • gadjo - March 3, 2013 7:43 p.m.

Yeah, one of my friends forced me to play MGS 3, and I spent from a quarter into the cutscene onward wondering when the hell these idiots were gonna stop waxing poetic and let me play. I see it as more of a problem with the game, though: the cutscenes shouldn't be so long/boring that you WANT to skip them in the first place.
  • Person5 - March 2, 2013 5:27 p.m.

People who leave controllers face down so that the sticks get stuck in a turning position.
  • gadjo - March 3, 2013 7:43 p.m.

Getting stuck with one of said controllers and constantly walking a few feet forward when you try to stop.
  • ertywerty - March 2, 2013 3:05 p.m.

My biggest pet peeve in gaming would have to be those stupid trailing missions or timed ones in games like Assassins Creed etc... They usually feel tacked(or fillers) in order to "mix-up the gameplay" and arent even important as they just lead to another more interesting mission. These make me want to break my controller haha.. Anyone else agree?
  • Bloodstorm - March 2, 2013 5 p.m.

They do suck. ACIII was a big step backward for those missions too, having to stay withing ear shot, and almost impossible to remain hidden from the person you were tailing. Maddening.
  • Fox_Mulder - March 2, 2013 1:31 p.m.

I think the point of these is discuss our own pet peeves, as well as derive some humor in reading the feature. Not to go through every point on the list and have a lawyer's rebuttal to each of them expressing your view that's it's horseshit. Bunch of know-it-alls on this site, they consistently talk about how this site blows and how it's "not journalism". Well if it's so bad then why are they still here??? I can get debating with fellow commenters, but trolling the writers and editors? Very low of them. If they don't like it go elsewhere, but all of their destructive criticism accomplishes is making them sound like a bunch of hypocrites whose death wouldn't disrupt the pace of anyone's lives.
  • SadKen - March 2, 2013 3:50 p.m.

Agreed, I personally like this sort of article, because at the end of day, whether or not all the writers at GR conform to what you consider to be a good journalist, they are experienced gamers who understand games. You can read about games until the cows come home, but this is something that interacts with you, personally, as a gamer. If you choose to participate in the discussion, great, if not, go air your grievances somewhere where people actually care. Because I assure you, that's not here. If the article doesn't appeal to you and you're just gonna bitch about it in the comments section, quite simple, don't read it.