Topics

folk heroes hero

• fernandez-kyle - December 31, 2012 7:27 p.m.

Armake21 should be added here a legend in his own name
  • MeganeAgain - December 31, 2012 5:40 p.m.

Hah, awesome to see Daigo and Yipes in there.
  • Elix - December 30, 2012 3:56 p.m.

No Seanbaby, no Broken Pixels. I am disappoint.
  • kachigop - December 30, 2012 6:25 a.m.

I would've liked to see Sean "Day[9]" Plott in here. He's a HUGE personality in the Starcraft 2 community and he's been doing his thing for a long time. And shout out to the cast of 'The Guild'. Classic online series about MMO gaming.
  • tehtimeisnow - December 29, 2012 10:59 p.m.

angrey video nerd is so stuped y is he is even on the list? he just makes old gane videos no one cares abuot those garbege stuped games the grafics suck hes a idoit
  • TheDudeFromNowhere - December 29, 2012 7:41 p.m.

Daigo will definitely be a legend among gamers(or maybe just the FGC). Also, Yipes making it on here was really neat. He is a highly respected figure in the FGC and an incredible FG player.
  • 5DollarFootlong - December 28, 2012 3:07 a.m.

Rare footage of Daigo in a GR feature. Well done Lucas.
  • doominatorx6 - December 27, 2012 9:58 p.m.

Chad Warden is a goddamn legend. AVGN was good too until he sold out, then the quality of his video just got worse and worse. The movie looks like cliche ridden garbage.
  • bass88 - December 27, 2012 3:37 p.m.

Any love for Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw or Noah "Spoony" Antwiler?
  • BladedFalcon - December 27, 2012 4:47 p.m.

...That is true. I wasn't really thinking of Yahtzee regarding this, but even though he claims he's a "journalist" in his videos, really, his reviews are more in par of what the AVGN does than what professional reviewers do. Then again, I think he still doesn't count because he's still paid to do that for a network, whereas James Rolfe started the whole thing on his own volition, and no company is paying him to do it, I believe. Also, let's be frank, spoony isn't nearly popular (or talented, IMO.) enough to warrant an entry here. I know him only because he was part of the site The Nostalgia critic is in, and i get the feeling most people that know him is because of that, and not so much because of his own merits, honestly.
  • bass88 - December 28, 2012 2:46 a.m.

I think Spoony is quiet talented. There was a period where he became very dry and a shadow of his former self but he is improving again. When he goes into costume mode or a personal life tirade it is very tiring but at his best his wit beats anyone on the internet. I find it funny that his humour is very "British" despite being from Arizona - weirdest example washis review for Tekken with some English guy. English guy's act consisted of "NOT!!!" jokes whilst Spoony settled on good old fashioned jokes. Also, most amusingly, since his departure from TGWTG, his website popularity has increased whilst TGWTG yas dropped.
  • BladedFalcon - December 28, 2012 9:11 a.m.

And yet, pretty sure he still doesn't have nearly enough popularity to qualify as a legend. And I'm pretty sure that TGWTG's drop in popularity has much more to do with Doug Walker ending The nostalgia Critic, and less with Spoony leaving. To be fair, I haven't really seen a lot of spoony videos, but what I've seen with his cameos, or him playing his "Insano" persona, I'm not very inclined to check him out. That, and personally, I'm not very fond of British humor.
  • bass88 - December 28, 2012 10:46 a.m.

As I mentioned, his costume stuff is quite grating at times. And if your're not a fan of British humour you will not like his regular stuff. Seriously, Red Dwarf doesn't tickle your fancy? Also, TGWTG dropped in popularity around the time of Spoony's departure - which was a while before Doug Walker announced his retirement.
  • BladedFalcon - December 29, 2012 10:05 a.m.

Never even heard of Red Dwarf before, so no, I don't believe so XD Also, don't really know about TGWTG ratings, nor do I care enough to go an look it up. Still pretty sure Spoony isn't viewed enough as anyone else in this list.
  • CaptainMorgan - December 28, 2012 1:25 a.m.

Indeed, Mr. Antwiler knows how to make us 'old skooler's' laugh.
  • bass88 - December 28, 2012 2:46 a.m.

I heard that, Curtis!
  • ventanger - December 29, 2012 1:36 p.m.

I second The Spoony One. Not to say he should replace any of the above entries, but if you're counting votes for a community choice, make mine Spoony.
  • jackthemenace - January 7, 2013 10:14 a.m.

I don't know anything about Spoony, but from the second I saw Egoraptor I figured Yahtzee would show up somewhere. Kinda disappointed he didn't, really, since his reviews are so perfect, but I suppose, what with him being a professional in the industry, he doesn't really count as a 'folk' hero as much as just a hero.
  • BladedFalcon - December 27, 2012 3:31 p.m.

Haven't heard of the red shirt guy, pure pwnage or Wendy McColm before, But I definitely recognize the rest in this list. Daigo's definitely the one person here that I'd consider a hero, that video is one of the very few I have marked as "favorites" in my page. Also, genuine or not, I think Leeroy Jenkins probably transcends all the rest here in terms of sheer popularity and legend. He's got a genuine trading card created after him, and even a character created by an entirely different developer in a wildly popular game in his honor. (Mass effect) I'm not short-changing the rest here, mind, just that he's probably the only one that has transcended the realms of videogames and probably even non-gamers have heard of him. Enough that it's even referenced in TV shows (Community.)
  • J-Fid - December 27, 2012 12:39 p.m.

Where's the Wombo Combo?