• Zatunks - April 22, 2014 5:20 p.m.

The Toys 'R' Us closest to me still has the paper slip set up for buying games. All of the cover art images over the slips are in black and white though, and the place is a little bit of a wreck, so it's not as special as it once was. I still have every one of my Playstation demo discs. I played those far more than I played the few Playstation games that I ended up actually owning. I should never have traded my N64 and all games, extra controllers and rumble pack for just that console. I was a fool kid. I was also just thinking about and missing those late '90s games commercials. I loved the Super Smash Bros. live action commercial set to the song "Happy Together". I also never played Crash Bandicoot anywhere but occasionally at my friend's house, but I always loved when one of the new commercials came out.
  • universaltofu - April 22, 2014 4:57 p.m.

Remember when instruction booklets were... booklets, and not just a slip with health and safety info.
  • GR_LucasSullivan - April 22, 2014 5:03 p.m.

argghhhh I knew I was forgetting something
  • universaltofu - April 22, 2014 6:02 p.m.

Or sound tests! You could just listen to the music of the game and the random fx, and now despite games having reams of content, most don't have a seemingly simple sound test. It's not like gaming soundtracks and scores are a big business either, so it wouldn't hurt to include it at least after beating the game or something.
  • J-Fid - April 22, 2014 6:34 p.m.

Smash Bros. and Kirby. HAL Laboratory knows what their fans want.
  • universaltofu - April 22, 2014 6:39 p.m.

Truth, I remember with Kirby superstar I managed to spend almost an hour just boopin different things. Smash for sure and I suppose Brawl especially has the goods in that department. Meteos too!
  • AngelsandDemons1 - April 22, 2014 6:20 p.m.

Yes, I do....many moons ago you would read the instruction booklets and learn something insightful about the game....
  • Scoob - April 23, 2014 12:58 p.m.

Video game instruction books made the best shit reads.
  • SomeOddGuy - April 23, 2014 3:42 p.m.

I really miss those days too... Certainly I shirked off most the booklets I got, but back in the GBA era, I remember reading EVERY SINGLE ONE I got. The Wario Land 4 booklet is still one of my personal favorites... *sigh* The nostalgic days...
  • LordZarlon - April 22, 2014 4:36 p.m.

I believe it was the holiday 1997 issues of Computer Gaming World and PC Gamer that blew my mind. Both were over 500 pages each! Two issues, same month, more pages than a book! Plus my EGM and Gamepro issues were huge that month too!
  • GamesRadarCollanderCooper - April 22, 2014 4:11 p.m.

Oh and fuck you, those Crash commercials were not corny.
  • GamesRadarCollanderCooper - April 22, 2014 4:08 p.m.

I miss demo discs, and you're a fool if you think anyone subscribed to OPM for any other reason besides the discs. How are demo discs cost prohibitive now? A stack of 100 CD-Rs probably cost a dollar. I totally agree that large files make me not want to download demos. Maybe Sony could use that Gaikai tech to stream demos. Wasn't that already in the works? Where is it?
  • shawksta - April 22, 2014 3:47 p.m.

Crash Bandicoot was freaking fantastic in advertisements "Get off my lawn you freak" XD Ah, i remember back in one of my young birthdays, my dad gave me a PS2 game, it was the Matrix. Except when i opened it, it wasnt the Matrix, it was in fact a Playstation (original) Demo Disc, just flat out filled with a bunch of playstation demos, like twelve games or something, and not only that but beating certain demo's very well, gives you a secret code to unlock MORE demo's. That was the just awesome thinking about it now.
  • J-Fid - April 22, 2014 3:41 p.m.

I have the Demo Disk that came with Mario Kart: Double Dash!! It is still the only way I can play F-Zero GX. Come on Nintendo, release GX on the Virtual Console, I want this game so bad! And I never beg for anything (except for a Smash release date).
  • g1rldraco7 - April 22, 2014 3:26 p.m.

Reading this article makes me feel old >.< I remember seeing that Clay Fighter box at the video game rental store me and my brother went to when we were younger. Those paper slips always freaked me when I had to grab one to get a game. Heeheehee I can imagine Sophia standing behind Lucas with a stick to have him type that plug in for GamesRadar XD
  • GenderBender_9000 - April 22, 2014 2:47 p.m.

Holy crap, I forgot about those ToysRus paper slips.
  • R_U_Guys_From_British - April 22, 2014 2:47 p.m.

Nostalgia Party! My mother used to think I had loads of games for the playstation but they were only demo discs. I tried explaining this more than enough...
  • TokenGamesRadarFurry - April 22, 2014 2:21 p.m.

Oh man, demo discs....that takes me back.