• BaraChat - September 19, 2013 4:03 a.m.

I've always felt that "total revenues" for a game launch was not a very helpful nor useful stat for gamers. What I would much rather see are "units sold" figures, both regular and Collector's edition. Obviously one could do the math and say there were 11M 60$ regular editions sold and 1M 150$ Collector's Editions sold, but having the real number of units sold would be a lot better... Am I alone in thinking like this? Or is there another reason why they release revenues instead of units?
  • winner2 - September 18, 2013 8:16 p.m.

this makes me very, very happy
  • semitope - September 18, 2013 1:24 p.m.

Because GTA 4 was released in 2008. CoD games come out yearly (unfortunately).
  • Firepunch - September 18, 2013 12:49 p.m.

Well.....fuck
  • Doctalen - September 18, 2013 12:44 p.m.

I've heard that Rockstar's budget for GTA 5 was roughly $270 million and that they had made that back in pre-orders alone. At first I was extremely doubtful since its the Internet and all. But given this report, I'm inclined to give that figure a little more credibility.
  • StrayGator - September 18, 2013 12:43 p.m.

Let's hear now what you guys think, will GTA5 overtake Avatar?
  • jledonne29 - September 18, 2013 1:13 p.m.

You mean overtake Black Ops 2? http://www.el33tonline.com/post/2012/12/05/cod_black_ops_2_hits/
  • usmovers_02 - September 18, 2013 1:16 p.m.

It's gotta make it to 2.8 billion. A doable number for GTA for sure but it's no guarantee. A major reason Avatar grossed so high is because of repeat viewers. Once you purchase GTA that's it. You never have to buy it again. Plus sales tend to drop fast and steady after the first week where as Avatar actually saw a sizable increase in ticket sales the week after it launched.
  • GOD - September 18, 2013 2:04 p.m.

Avatar cheated anyways because 3D glasses jacked up the ticket prices above the already inflated price. Also I feel bad for the people who saw it more than once, considering they could've just saw Pocahontas instead.
  • brickman409 - September 18, 2013 2:53 p.m.

I guess this shows that game sale numbers are more accurate than movie sales. If you think about it, there's all these different factors that affect a movies success like ticket price inflation or higher 3D ticket prices, like you mentioned. So it's hard to compare the sales of a movie today, to that of a movie that came out a decade ago. But, with games, it's always the same $60 a piece and it's been that way for years. (well rumor has it, that it will go up to $70 next gen, but still it's fairly the same compared to movie ticket prices)
  • GOD - September 18, 2013 3:10 p.m.

Pretty sure they've already confirmed that next gen games are $60. Also the real reason why movie sales don't really matter is because once a movie elevates itself to some kind of event more than a movie, people feel obligated to see it and the constantly increasing population guarantees the continued topping of previous box office records. The same goes for video games, but I feel for video games it's a better indication of the product (or it's marketing) because people have to really put forth a lot of money upfront for a video game.
  • brickman409 - September 18, 2013 3:19 p.m.

yeah
  • chriszewski - September 19, 2013 12:21 p.m.

FernGully > Pocahontas
  • occasionalgoldfish - September 18, 2013 1:38 p.m.

I hope so. Not that I don't like Avatar, I just think it would be a massive achievement for gaming as a whole to do so.
  • Talvari - September 18, 2013 12:39 p.m.

Christ... >...>
  • BladedFalcon - September 18, 2013 2:11 p.m.

Just grit your teeth and actually give the game a chance, will you P
  • Talvari - September 19, 2013 6:30 a.m.

I'll likely borrow it from a friend if anything once he's done with it :P I gotta support my husbando Kamiya by being one of the like..10 people who buy Wonderful 101 ;.;
  • BladedFalcon - September 19, 2013 8:01 a.m.

That's a neat idea ^^ I mean, if you can borrow games instead of buying them, that's always the smarter choice :P And yeah, even if it sounds like it's imperfect, Wonderful 101 is so out there and different that it definitely deserves support.
  • Talvari - September 19, 2013 9:39 a.m.

Gotta save money where we can in these times :P I'm gonna try my best to play it with an open mind xD Maybe i'll be pleasantly surprised. I'm really curious if anything to see how W101 controls. Main thing everyone seems to complain about is the controls and the camera. I can't really do anything about the camera but i'll be damned if a Platinum Game controls bad :P Also lengthy games with tonnes of replay value is always good.