• IAmARobotWhoTurnsIntoATruckAndIFindNoLevityInThis - November 10, 2010 12:46 p.m.

Also i just recently noticed this, but the thing Gideon does with his fingers when he spawns his blue pixelated sword is pretty much straight out of Naruto
  • CitizenWolfie - November 10, 2010 8:39 a.m.

Wow - had even considered Ramona's changing hair colour. Just thought it was to emphasize her quirky wiredness. And there's me thinking I'd pretty much spotted them all!
  • Spybreak8 - November 10, 2010 8:27 a.m.

Didn't see the movie nor many others in the theaters for that matter. I just watched Prince of Persia and Iron Man 2 on the whole DirectCinema channels. Movie theaters overcharge you anyways plus with 3D now it's even more expensive. Haha add in the fact that I have to drive 45 minutes away to the nearest movie theater and yeah It's just not worth it. Good article though, neat to know this info.
  • TheElephantManchurianCandidate - November 10, 2010 8:22 a.m.

Nice artcle I can't wait to get the Blu-Ray now
  • Valntyne - November 10, 2010 6:45 a.m.

Awesome
  • Sevej - November 10, 2010 6:09 a.m.

Oh, nonono. Clash at demonhead is not forgotten, at least not by me.
  • Crabhand - November 10, 2010 5:43 a.m.

Great article, I saw the movie in theaters on opening night and saw it again tonight with some friends. The movie is fucking fantastic. Everyone, regardless of their irrational hate for Michael Cera or the ill conceived notion of pandering, should give this movie a chance. I went in a little skeptical and it absolutely dazzled me (and my friends who reluctantly followed my suggestion). There was one thing that I noticed that was a little funny in the movie that I think counts as a game reference. Any time Scott was asked a question he didn't want to answer, he would say no then immediately comply with the answer. A lot of JRPGs have a yes/no choice that always forces you to pick yes, so I figured that was a call out to games that do it.
  • KnightDehumidifier - November 10, 2010 5:01 a.m.

...wait a minute, do you guys at GR like Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, because I'm getting an impression that you are fans.
  • Twizinator - November 10, 2010 4:39 a.m.

I know that the game is at the very end of the credits: pixelated Scott beats up a pixelated "THE END"
  • Haikufrenzy - November 10, 2010 4:27 a.m.

@Bass88 While yeah that is true, my meaning behind that is movies that are creative, fun, and have great timing could very well die out for brain dead, thought less, brain melting sludge like Vampires Suck was. So while not seeing Scott Pilgrim was particularly encouraging Vampires Suck, you still are sending Hollywood the wrong message. Not to mention Edgar Wright deserves better for his last two films.
  • GamesRadarChrisAntista - November 10, 2010 4:12 a.m.

Okay, I really don't get the Cera hate. Is that what the cool kids are doing? The guy's a pretty brilliant comedic actor, and as for the comments saying "he always plays the same character..." He's been in like FIVE movies, two of which most of the world saw! Seriously, how many of you watched Paper Heart?! The dude's sense of character and timing made him one of the most consistently funny characters on a show starring David Cross, Will Arnett, and Jeffery Tambor and I think there's something to be said for that. As for the "hipper-than-thou" allegations, I think A) That kind of reaction makes you sound like a geriatric who's incapable of understanding witty, fast-paced dialog, and thereby has no business offering any comedic criticism. And B) I really think you're confusing Scott Pilgrim with Juno. Scott Pilgrim features naive kids in their early 20s who do not speak in videogame references, clever catch phrases, or Aaron Sorkin banter. The film's almost of a parody of youth's Last Quest for Coolness, and it rang pretty true to me. Not only that, Cera doesn't play awkward, and completely alleviated any doubt I had as to whether or not he could play the boisterous, self-centered role of Scott. If anybody's playing "too cool for the room" it's the people who won't go see a film handcrafted perfectly for them to love based only on a preconceived notion/ill founded contempt for a nonexistent subsect of youth culture. The film didn't fail at the box office because of Expendables, that was a joke (as was the utterly ridiculous concept of seeing Expendables more that once.) The film performed below expectations in theaters because its audience doesn't go there much anymore. It will thrive for decades on DVD and TV. But we all wanted to see it do well, got behind the film, and I even reached out to get the Blu-ray to do this article and give some away. We shared in its disappointment, just like the way we do when a game we recommend fails due to audience disinterest. (That makes us feels ineffectual and useless- BOO HOO!) And yeah, @romination. Not everything listed was directly referenced by the creators. But it certainly struck that chord for myself and others, so intentional or not - I think it counts.
  • CountFenring - November 10, 2010 3:51 a.m.

More like Rated T for Hottest girl in the movie. Great list y'all.
  • elpurplemonkey - November 10, 2010 3:34 a.m.

Chris, I think this is one of the best features you've ever done. Reading it was informative- because there was a ton of stuff I missed- but it also brought back great memories of the movie. Hearing singers perform the fairy music in Zelda actually gave me goosebumps. Scott Pilgrim is one of the few movies that I literally had fun watching. Ah hell, I fold, I'll go buy the xbla game now.
  • bass88 - November 10, 2010 3:07 a.m.

@Haikufrenzy Actually, those who choose to watch Vampire Sucks are the problem. Those who refused to watch Scott Pilgrim have nothing to do with films like Vampire Sucks being made (except if they also watch Vampire Sucks). @RebornKusabi In all fairness, I don't believe The Expendables was responsible for Scott Pilgrim's failure. The Expendables was successful but it wasn't a monster hit. Scott Pilgrim was just poorly marketed. Universal opted to market the film squarely at video game and comic-book "geeks" (for want of a better word) which meant of course that the mainstream had no interest. If you want to blame anyone, blame Universal. Besides, Scott Pilgrim will succeed on the home video format. The Crank films kind of have that same niche video-game fan audience too which saw them perform poorly in cinemas but succeed on DVD and BluRay.
  • Ban - November 10, 2010 3:06 a.m.

This article made my day great job Chris! ;)
  • RebornKusabi - November 10, 2010 2:52 a.m.

I saw The Expendables and Scott Pilgrim the same night, in that order, and while I fell in complete love with Scott Pilgrim (saw it two more times with friends and have it on Blu-Ray now), I honestly could not have hated The Expendables any more. Thanks for the article Chris, loved this movie and was sad to see it die so badly in the theaters due to a movie starring old-ass "actors" that had boring as shit action scenes, terrible acting and laughable directing...
  • SausageLozenge - November 10, 2010 2:52 a.m.

Good work Chris!
  • Robusken - November 10, 2010 2:43 a.m.

I hate Cera, yet I still made sure I watched this movie on the first day. Bought the game the first day on xbla, and If I unluckily don't win the DVD I'll go and buy it this weekend. Never caught that Triforce reference.
  • Grif - November 10, 2010 2:42 a.m.

I love this article so much.
  • kiwicrossing - November 10, 2010 2:20 a.m.

Her?