• GamesRadarTylerWilde - May 11, 2010 9:37 p.m.

@Sword1645 For rentals, you can get a "7-day trial" of the Online Pass.
  • crumbdunky - May 11, 2010 9:17 p.m.

Things like this, to me, are entirely bogus and show the gaming industry to be even more greedy than others in the entertainment world. As a musician I'm not up in arms over someone selling on a CD of mine if they aren't impressed enough to keep it and want to recoup some of their money(which nearly always goes back into the same industry-as it does with the trading of games)and the same should be true of publishers and developers of games. If EA don't want people selling their games on they shouldn't do things like this-after all someone picking up one of their games who maybe couldn't afford the new one at the time could end up a fan of the series BECAUSE of theior preowned purchase.Taking away features only makes this less likely, imo, and makes trthe offline game more attractive to pirates. Seriously, you want people to KEEP the games you make? then make the games so good they WANT to keep playing them, don't pull the servers from under them when they do simply to push more of your "way overpriced for the tiny improvement" yearly updates(and with Fifa and Madden they're inexcusable at full retail price when all they amount to is a roster update and a couple of tweaks-about a patch worth, imo, and not a full game EVERY single year)-it looks like people will be damned if they hang on and damned if they buy preowned from now on in! Whatever, if my records weren't selling as I wanted I wouldn't blame it on fans/punters selling them on but on myself/my bandmates for not making a good enough piece of music. Why the games industry feels it should be special and not allow people the freeedom to sell on something they actually already bought is amazing to me. The car industry doesn't moan if I sell my car second hand, the lit industry doesn't cry about used book sales-no one but the over entitled and over greedy devs and publishers in our industry. EA and Acti will nickel and dime and restrict our rightass til the cows come home, We often get games in such crappy states that we feel like we're doing QA and paying for the dubious right because of the lack of care taken since online patching. We get unilateral price hikes to games that cost twice the amount to market as they did to create and always get the crappy end of the stick. again, I'd rather the time and money spent on this scheme went into convincing us to keep games by upping the quality-like ANY other decent industry would.
  • Fiirestorm21 - May 11, 2010 9:14 p.m.

And @ notthatgoodthanks -- Yes, EA has actually been struggling a bit lately. If you were familiar with the business of the game industry, you would know this. Now, to be fair, I'm guessing it's not so much that they were FORCED to do this. But a good business doesn't wait until they're forced to do something before they take action.
  • Sword1645 - May 11, 2010 9:13 p.m.

How exactly will rentals work? A lot of people actually like to play their games online, army of 2 for example.
  • Fiirestorm21 - May 11, 2010 9:12 p.m.

Yes, squeezing every penny out of our pockets, when our desire to save $5 by buying that used copy is collectively costing them hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars annually.
  • samgardner94 - May 11, 2010 9:10 p.m.

This is just another tacttic by the mega companys of squeezing every last penny out your pocket, with the added £10 it would cost the same amount to just buy a new game and therefore would effectively end the market for used games
  • notthatgoodthanks - May 11, 2010 9:06 p.m.

This is something I completely disagree with. EA is just milking used game sales for every penny they are worth and do they really have to? Is EA games that hard up to have to do this? Really? Surely most people support the game with paid for download content anyways which is also a growing trend.
  • thejolson - May 11, 2010 9:06 p.m.

I actually understand this move. I'm not a fan but I can't knock it from a business standpoint.
  • Forrest22x - May 11, 2010 9:03 p.m.

I'm not online, so i dont care.