Topics

E3 E3 2012

• SCW - June 8, 2012 8:24 a.m.

I agree with you completely David. Me and my wife were watching the conference and every time I heard the laugher and whooping over something that was supposed to be disturbing i was brought to the sad realization that this medium has a lot of growing up to do if we are gonna be taken seriously. And the beginning of the Far Cry 3 presentation was just unecessary and offensive. I do love the the way Naughty Dog is handling The Last of Us but even they have lowered there standards a little by having every enemy use Fuck so often. I felt like the profanity was over kill and therefore actually numbed me to the raw nature of the enemy.
  • el.waxa - June 8, 2012 8:20 a.m.

I dont often agree with all of your rants but I know exactly what you mean, Dave. I personally am a bit Sick of Sex and Violence used shock value or making things look mature or edgey I think it comes off as cheap. Most recently I was put off getting Max Payne 3 even after years of wait just because I'm sick of shooting folk.
  • FoxdenRacing - June 8, 2012 9:06 a.m.

And that, good sir, is the paradox of shock value. It only works once...so for the next one to be shocking, the bar has to be continually raised. Or lowered, depending on how you look at it.
  • ThatOneHobo - June 8, 2012 8:16 a.m.

Honestly, I'm less worried about the crowds reaction to the violence and more worried that they are reacting to the BORING violence. It seems like every game that developers intend to make for the "HARDC0R3ZZ" audience is just a brown first or third person shooter with little to no inspiration whatsoever. That's why I think many people might have been disappointed with the new splinter cell, because it seemed less focused around sneaking in the shadows waiting for silent assassinations, and more for going into battle guns blazing. That's why the only real game I found interesting that was intended for a more mature audience was Watch Dogs, because at least it did SOMETHING different. But even then, the Bullettime slow mo gunplay bored me. And the fact that gamers are eating this up, all these bland, brown, uninspired shooters, THAT is what scares me.
  • ObliqueZombie - June 8, 2012 8:01 a.m.

I love you, Dave, I do, and I was about to write a whole shitton of why I thought blah blah was blah, but I will say this: You thought way too much into it.
  • PBC13 - June 8, 2012 7:49 a.m.

Sure it is uncomfortable when people cheer grizzly violence but it's also just human nature. People are excited and enthralled by what they are seeing. You can't woop and holler about a subtle character moment but you can for a brutal show of force. To me it is as simple as that. The video games industry is largely built on visceral experiences. That is nothing to be ashamed of. The film and TV industry is similarly proficient at offering those kind of moments it is just games offer a more exhilarating way to enjoy them.
  • A9entOfChaos - June 8, 2012 7:46 a.m.

Yea Dave, because i want to turn on video games and pick flowers and bake cakes.
  • kyle94 - June 8, 2012 8:30 a.m.

"Now please do not get me wrong here. I’m not joining the hysterical tabloid anti-violence brigade. I’ll support any sort of extreme content as long as it’s contextually sound, and while I’m totally behind the idea of fully-enforced age certification on media, I will not stand for censorship." You got him wrong.
  • gilgamesh310 - June 8, 2012 7:43 a.m.

I don't like how the gameplay and story appear to exist mostly separately in Tomb Raider. The cutscenes present her as being a weakling that can't accomplish anything, yet during the gameplay she is gunning down people like rambo. I am recently playing through the first Far Cry, as it was going very cheap on steam, and that game is a real challenge. There is no regenerating health. You need to constantly know where to be and avoid getting shot at all as best you can. You're extremely vulnerable. It's so different to what most shooters are like today. It's really quite pathetic what they've become like. Far Cry 3 even seems to have regen health as well as indicators telling you where people are shooting at you from and stuff like that. And yes cover shooting is a lot like whack a mole. Vanquish is different though. That has a lot more going on and is easilyt he best TPS around lately.
  • Cyberhero18 - June 8, 2012 7:32 a.m.

Should've saved this article for 'High Horse'. It really confuses me how GR have a crack at Fox news for overreacting to contextual violence/sexual content but clearly fail to identify contextual human behaviour. It's a huge crowd of people, they'll cheer at almost anything within the confines of a big exciting event, it doesn't have to mean that they, or indeed the gaming community as a whole, are a bunch of amoral sociopaths. It's just so patronising. And why are you talking about this as if it's something recent? It's been like this for as long as i can remember so i dunno why you didn't bring it up then if you're so bloody worried about us all. "Maybe" you're overreacting?! HA!
  • TheHowetzer - June 8, 2012 7:49 a.m.

GREAT post man! You NAILED it. I know its just a human need to feel like you belong, but it's not something I feel a whole lot usually, in this case though I am glad I am NOT the only one who is thinking this post. Bravo.
  • AnonymouZ - June 8, 2012 10:06 a.m.

I say.
  • Satchurated - June 8, 2012 7:28 a.m.

I agree with all of your points. It stinks, but with today's main demographic of gamers looking for games that are violent, game developers are just going to show violence. A shame though that those esteemed people reacted that way too. Think about this: two of the biggest game developers, Insomniac and Naughty Dog both started out with cartoony video games, Spyro and Crash Bandicoot, but eventually the two of them reached mainstream violent videogames with The Last of Us, Uncharted and Resistance, Overstrike. It's funny to see how game developers are just gonna end up producing a shooter in the end. Not that the games are bad, but the fact that it seems to end up that way.
  • Lurkero - June 8, 2012 7:11 a.m.

When Ellie made the exclamation about burning a man with a molotov cocktail I was surprised and wondered whether Naughty Dog would continue this type of dialog for the entire game. I was ashamed of the cheers during the "The Last of Us" demonstration. People cheering at the ballistic decapitation of a man begging for mercy at the end of the demo are exactly the type of people that others get concerned about when it comes to videogame violence. Yes, the man just tried to kill your character, but I still wouldn't CELEBRATE after killing him. It is difficult to tell whether Naughty Dog wanted that type of reaction, but I believe that it was still not the best reaction to present to the public. I listen to podcasts where members of the videogame press like to talk about how they are better than that, but I bet some of those same people cheered during that moment (and no I do not consider them journalists).
  • PopeBenedictXVI - June 8, 2012 7:11 a.m.

Crowd behaviour is often ugly. Recaptcha - Carthage? As in the battle of Carthage? Well, massacre of Carthage is more like it. Weird.
  • mercury228 - June 8, 2012 7:07 a.m.

It sounds to me that it was not really the games that were the problem, but other people. I think E3 was disappointing overall. It seems like the games industry is forgetting what should be the focus, great games. While it is sad about other professionals acting inappropriate, that is hardly a games fault. Many things were disappointing this year, but their is always next year.
  • fullmetallegend - June 8, 2012 7:06 a.m.

The Last Of Us demo excited me for that simple reason that the violence actually made me feel uncomfortable. It seemed like an actual survival game, not just some "kill the 100 zombies running at you" type of apocalypse. Watchdogs NPC reactions also unnerved me a bit, as you pulled a man trying to wake up his dead wife from the car crash you caused. These two games, as well as Beyond, are going to make me cringe when causing violence. I've been disturbed by 90% of other people's extreme joy and "fist-bumping" at this kind of stuff for years, though. I think I've just desensitized myself of their desensitization.
  • Frexerik - June 8, 2012 7:06 a.m.

Awesome article dave!! sort of reminds me of a better written and thought out article like Tom Mc Shea wrote on gamespot..
  • TheHowetzer - June 8, 2012 7:44 a.m.

If this is what I think it is (a HUGE slam) then THATS hillarious man! LOL! Oh mygawd did I just fist bump and laugh there??? I must be a representation of the overall downfall of any moral values of mankind.....or maybe I just thought it was funny.
  • Rhymenocerous - June 8, 2012 6:45 a.m.

The industry should be celebrating the gameplay, not the violence. I'll probably buy a few of these games, but I'll buy them for what they offer in gameplay terms(FarCry's open world, Tomb Raider's exploration etc), not because there's a slo-mo close-up of a bloke getting stabbed in the face. It's sad and frustrating that they always just demo the nasty stuff these days, as though it's the worse the better... and 12 year olds will like it, and generate more E3 2012 youtube hits through word of mouth. I wish they'd stop pandering to kids who have no attention span, because it's ruining my favourite hobby.