Topics

E3 E3 2013

• shawksta - June 12, 2013 10:24 a.m.

This EA was probably the best in terms of Everyone, even Microsoft in their conference at least, not being shit. I was definitley surprised by DKC:TF but then again Retro Studios was probably done with the whole space theme and wanted something new so we shouldve expected it. Shame it wasnt Star Fox Though. Wonder what other surprises will be shown
  • Frieza - June 12, 2013 10:06 a.m.

The Battlefront reveal was so damn awesome, despite being only 30 seconds. I was sitting in my chair with the TV on, and I saw a slow trailer showing a whole bunch of snow (and nothing else). I discarded it as another game I didn't care about, so I went onto my iPhone and started to surf the web. A few seconds later I looked up by chance and saw a snow speeder fall from the sky, and I literally dropped my iPhone as I leaned forward. My excitement started to rise as I saw the foot of an At-At engulf the screen. As the title "Star Wars Battlefront" appeared on the screen, I rose from my chair and cheered. Finally, one of the defining game series from my childhood has returned! I haven't gotten that excited in ages. Definitely my #1 highlight for E3, even topping Smash Bros (and I don't even consider myself a Star Wars fan anymore!).
  • robotic-fiend - June 12, 2013 8:42 a.m.

I'm pretty sure they said that KI will be available at retail as well with a Madcatz fightstick bundle at the very least, because just free to play would be beyond stupid especially for the tournament scene that I'm sure they want to cash in on with the Twitch streaming built in and all. Biggest surprise would have to be the Wii Fit Trainer, Mega Man was an expected inevitability, but the Wii Fit Girl is so out there and hilariously awesome I want to use her sooo much! I think I found my new main, now they need to add Dr Kawashima's floating head and we're all good!
  • MeanwhileGuy - June 12, 2013 8:40 a.m.

This was the best E3's been in years (well, at least for anyone not planning on buying an Xbone). I mean, Kingdom Hearts III, Final Fantasy XV, Mirror's Edge 2, Battlefront and some very tasty looking new IP's. And to top it all off, one of the most blistering volleys I've ever seen one company fire at another. I mean, the lack of restrictions alone could leave Microsoft dead in the water, but undercutting the price by £100? This may be the first time the console war actually has a casualty since Sega.
  • taokaka - June 12, 2013 7:25 a.m.

Biggest shock for me was definitely that the ps3 version of Diablo 3 would have a couple of throw away exclusive items, the only way I could have been more shocked was if I had a car battery hooked to my nipples. But speaking of shocks, didn't ubisoft tease that there was going to be something beyond good and evil related at E3, did anything come of that?
  • BladedFalcon - June 12, 2013 7:37 a.m.

NOPE
  • shawksta - June 12, 2013 9:56 a.m.

NOPE They just decided to throw in a picture of Peyj asking people if they know who he was.
  • thesilentassassin - June 12, 2013 7:19 a.m.

Kingdom hearts 3 has to be at the top of my list.... I just ....... i cant handle it
  • Cyberninja - June 12, 2013 7:03 a.m.

I think the wii fit trainer was a more surprise edtion because no one expected her, while we wanted mega for years.
  • BladedFalcon - June 12, 2013 7:31 a.m.

That's the thing, people wanted MegaMan, pretty sure not many wanted the Wii Fit Trainer :P Notice that this list is not only about things no one expected, but also about stuff people care about, or been wanting to see for years.
  • winner2 - June 12, 2013 5:51 a.m.

That BF4 demo was so good, god damn the skyscraper was awesome. But even though I think I'd rather play it on Xbox, I'll be getting a ps4 first.
  • BladedFalcon - June 12, 2013 5:31 a.m.

"No used game DRM for first party games (Tretton would later state that third parties can decide for themselves)" This is false, or at least, misleading in the way you guys put it here. Regarding this, Sony already clarified that what Tretton was talking about, was regarding online play, so Online passes, essentially. Here, look, I even have references and stuff: http://www.destructoid.com/did-sony-confirm-drm-on-ps4-after-all-not-quite--256052.phtml "Sony has stated that Tretton's use of the term "DRM" referred only to playing used games online. Essentially, they're talking about letting publishers use online passes, and no other kind of restrictions." So yeah... how come I'm doing your job better than you are, GR? Get your facts straight please....
  • BladedFalcon - June 12, 2013 5:46 a.m.

Heck, EVEN IGN explains it better than you guys did here, geez. http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/11/e3-2013-ps4-used-game-restrictions-up-to-publishers
  • Shinn - June 12, 2013 6:37 a.m.

I was wondering about this myself, thanks for sharing. The PS4 still suits my needs better than the Xbox One in that case.
  • RayPaw - June 12, 2013 8:22 a.m.

What Tretton should have said was something like, "We can't stop publishers from building and implementing their own authentication systems into their games, just as some do today ... but we're not making it easy for them by baking one in to the PS4 because we put gamers first." You would think that before going in to an event where the *whole point* is talking to press and disseminating information that a company the size of Sony would have the resources to either train these guys on the exact verbiage to use or make sure that reporters are only talking with PR pros so this kind of confusion and dilution of message could be avoided.
  • BladedFalcon - June 12, 2013 8:39 a.m.

Yep, won't deny that Tretton worded his statement poorly. Still doesn't mean that GR shouldn't correct his info.
  • StrayGator - June 12, 2013 4:44 a.m.

turning a sizeable chunk of a map into a dynamic setpiece is an impressive technical feat. wonder if they can pull it off on the 360/ps3 versions too. as for the tone of ubisoft games, the anarcho-libertarian themes of AC seem to be received well by the gaming crowd, so why not keep playing on that note. why not make BG&E2 already?
  • Hylian101 - June 12, 2013 4:32 a.m.

I doubt Mirror's Edge 2 is a prequel. Sure, it showed Faith getting her tattoos in the first place, but plenty of games show bits of characters' pasts in their trailers for sequels. She also looks a bit older than she did in the first, and is actively fighting, as opposed to just running courier missions, as she'd probably be in a prequel. Oh yeah, and Mega Man in Smash Bros, woo!
  • thesilentassassin - June 12, 2013 7:19 a.m.

Actually to shed a little light on this form what i heard during E3 was that it was going to be a reboot. So it is not a prequel it is a reboot of the original making the other games events not important any more.